Need help on this filter

May 25, 2018
Beneteau First 38 SAILING THE SEA OF CORTEZ
1983 First 38, 4108 Perkins
Need info on this pre filter, trying to figure out if there is a filter inside. Seems to possibly be a water separator. If so need info on taking apart and replacing filter.
Thank you
A40B648F-2A04-485C-9D63-276F39506843.jpeg 19C983C5-5567-4204-A9C9-5C688DF3E296.jpeg B019DA04-5B68-4706-B3F0-8724F49C091A.jpeg

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
It looks a lot like the fuel filter on a Volvo diesel. Cartridge type probably. Should be able to loosen the bolt head at the top of housing to drop canister. No provision for water separation, I think. For that reason, The owner of the Volvo I know replaced his canister style filter for a Racor with water separator.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have the same filter on my Perkins 4.107.
It is a filter in the metal case. The bolt on the top does release the filter and fuel. Need to have a container under the unit.

Replace filter and then pump the manual lift pump and bleed the fuel lines.

I have a secondary Racor 500M filter between the engine and the fuel tank. It separates water and everything else from the fuel. Since installing the Racor I only need to change the primary once a year or two.

Oct 9, 2013
Beneteau First 38 Belmont Harbor
Hi,

What you have in the pic is a LUCAS / CAV / DELPHI water & sediment separator. There is no filter element inside. We have the exact same on our PERKINS 4108 in our 1984 Beneteau First38. Copied the following from the ASAP.com website:

“CAV sedimenter / agglomerator is typically used as a fuel sedimenter. This CAV replacement filter does not use a filter element. The fuel separator features an alloy bowl and standard CAV type head which has four 1/2" UNF female ports (2 open ports and 2 supplied with blanking plugs).”

Sole purpose of this device is to decant water by density difference & solids by centrifugal force. Debris (solids &/or water) accumulate in the bottom and need to be purged by draining.

Someday we hope to replace it with a RACOR filter/water unit. Of course there is 2nd final filter further downstream.

Oct 9, 2013
Beneteau First 38 Belmont Harbor
Link to a site where these old CAV type filters are sold. You need to recall that PERKINS Diesel engines where used everywhere. Small farm tractors, secondary engines on ambulances, firetrucks, recreational vehicles, tc. Very durable if well cared for but kind of simple. All mechanical. No electronics. And like all British cars of that era, they leaked a bit of oil. The rear seal was always a bit of a problem. Was sealed with rope packing like a water valve or stuffing box on shaft log.

PERKINS was a British company. However, they licensed their designs and had manufacturing & assembly plants all over the world. Perhaps hundreds of thousands of engines manufactured over many years. Thus still a big demand for spares all over the world. PERKINS is now part of Caterpillar.

https://www.asap-supplies.com/us/cav-type-fuel-separator-302005

Attachments