Need Engine for my 27"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 18, 2009
Newport MKIi 30' Channel Is. CA
Any help is good help. I need to repower my 1971 27' . I am runniing the Original Albin 022. My problems with it are, that it's rough shifting into reverse and I am getting gas flowing out of the carbureteor when it cranks too long, I have rebuillt the carb but seems like even more gas than before. So I am seriosly considering bailing on it and putting in a Universal or Atomic 4 or something. I am up for suggestions on what is most practical, how to best achieve it and Any model numbers would help so I can search them. Do any of you have one?
The only good thing that has come out of it is, that I now sail without any motor. But I am missing Island fun.

Thanks Mates
Buzz Lovelace

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
I'm not familiar with your engine but my Atomic was running when I pulled it out of my C27. I sold it for $500 including gas tank and everything associated with it. I installed an electric motor in its place. Nothing against the A4 but I didn't want to deal with gasoline and trying to work on the engine with limited access. You should be able to find one inexpensive or buy rebuilt. You could also hang an outboard or install a diesel($$$).

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
If you have the bucks then by all means go electric. It's clean & no pollution or gas fumes to worry about. But since the boat is a lil' older in the tooth, & only worth so much, the diesel option would cost more then the boat is worth. Myself, I would go with a simple outboard on a bracket for an older C 27. Its cost effective, a lot easier to maintain & service, & since you can lift the prop out of the water when not in use, it will only add to your speed under sail, which is what is most important anyway. Check out Craiglsit & shop around. An 8hp Tohotsu or a Honda 9.9 Hp are both good motors for this size boat. But think about it, an outboard & bracket can be had for a thousand or maybe less, used. I would not bother with an A4 Atomic as your just going to install something that is dated technology, way overkill & is frankly a higher pollution creator. I think when you have the opportunity to create a smaller foot print on the planet, by all means go as green as you can. A 4-stroke Honda 9.9 has about a quarter of the emissions output of an Atmomic 4, & way better fuel economy. Plus outboards don't have the explosion hazards as they don't create that chance of fumes building up in the bilge, etc. My 2 c.

Apr 18, 2009
Newport MKIi 30' Channel Is. CA
Thanks for your input, It makes alot of sense. I am still battleing my traditionalist nature. But your'e absolutely right.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.