Need a Mast Eye for Whisker Pole

ZacAir

Apr 15, 2018
Catalina 270 LE Delagal Marina Skidaway Island
I have a 1994 Catalina 270, and broke the Mast Eye yesterday using the whisker pole to wing the Jib sailing downwind.

I am sure is was my stupidity, but I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction as to finding this part. It would appear I can unscrew the base plate and replace it but I am have quite a hard time finding this part.
20180415_123820.jpg
20180415_123829.jpg
20180415_123820.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@ZacAir Welcome to the forum.
You are looking for a mast pad eye ring. The picture you posted looks to be made from a cast material. Forespar and Selden are the major players in this type of boat gear. I have seen more cast parts from Selden. Here is a link to a possible replacement.
http://www.seldenmast.com/en/products/rigging_hardware/deck_eyes/pad_eyes.html?id=4421&item=508-818
You can always modify the attachment to your mast and use a stainless fitting. This would open your options to all of the Forespar product line.
Check the hole placement of your fitting and then look for a part that has matching hole pattern. I am guessing but it looks like the stainless screws may be threaded into the aluminum mast. They may have a bit of corrosion on the threads. Not unusual. Work carefully and you should be able to get them out. Once out clean the threads. I like to chase the threads with a thread cutter into the holes to clean our the corrosion and prep for your install. Use an anticorrosion thread lock when you reinstall.
Good luck.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Is it sitting on a curved riser that is giving it a flat base, or is that curved base part of the ring?

ZacAir

Apr 15, 2018
Not quite sure with out going back to lool more closely...I think the mast is mostly flat in front, but there may be a platform of sorts in between...I will check.

In my haste I simply assumed that I would be able to find a replacement (like kind) easily.

And thanks so much to all for the very fast feedback...

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Looks like your original was cast aluminum. If it were my boat, I'd simply take that piece and fabricate a replacement out of stainless steel. If you can't weld, then you can find a local welder to weld the eye onto the plate. You could probably have it fabricated faster than finding a replacement.. ;)

dj

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Why don't you call Catalina Yachts parts department? 727 544-6681 818 884-7700
IMHO, I would try replace with a non cast fitting such as a stainless steel ring welded to its base. (or replace the whole system with track and sliding car for height adjustment.)

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I'm sure sooner or later someone will tell him to do it the easy way and go to the chandlery here on SBO for mast eyes. Forget the cast ones(as you found out) and get welded SS .

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
I had put a track and a car on my 270. Drilled and tapped. Super easy, worked well.

ZacAir

Apr 15, 2018
As was stated earlier, I definitly think SS is the way to go. Having a bit of trouble locating one that will match up with the curved mast front and hole pattern.

I am very interested in the track and car idea. Keep the pole located in a good spot and make it far easier to deploy.

What track would you all recommend?

Attachments

ZacAir

Apr 15, 2018
I had a welder in the area make a pad eye. It has a matching hole pattern so I have simply picked up some longer screws and reattached with out new holes. It is big but very strong, overkill perhaps, but will work nicely.

Any recommendations on a filler, as the previous one had, to bridge the gap around the base plate and Mast?

Attachments

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
It depends upon what materials you like to work with. You could use a Delrin, aluminum, wood if you want to do it with a solid material.

You could cast a piece from structurally filled epoxy. This method will give you a perfect match quite easily. Wrap your mast with saran (plastic wrap) wrap (you probably want to be able to easily remove this spacer if needed). Wax your screws, and you mix up your epoxy with a structural filler to the consistency of thick peanut butter so it doesn't sag. If you want to be able to remove the spacer from your plate, either wax your plate or cover it with plastic wrap like the mast...

Basically, pick your preferred material to work with...

dj

ZacAir

Apr 15, 2018
Thanks for the quick and very helpful reply.

I will see what I can find.