Navigation seat

woodzy

Sep 21, 2014
Catalina 28 Oceanside Ca..
My 27 came with wheel steering which I love only problem is sitting on lazerette cover you can't see very well over cabin . Has anyone seen a seat frame that would sit you up about 10 or 11 in. higher that would go on that cover. I've got an idea how I could do it but if one is around i' like to see it.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I have one I use on my H260. It's comfy and looks nice but does not raise you up 10".
I don't know exactly where on your boat you're talking about but this seems like a pretty decent idea.

Attachments

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Try sitting on the coaming....to the high side.. much easier to see your jib tell tales (you do have jib tell tales, right?) The middle of the boat is not a good place to steer from because of visibility issues from mast and headsails. You can also try sitting on low side (leeward) to see what's on the back side of sails... But I recommend the windward rail for better visibility forward.

Jun 4, 2004
Cutter-Rigged Pearson 39 Edgewater, MD
Try sitting on the coaming....to the high side.. much easier to see your jib tell tales
This is true, but in my boat, if I sat on the coaming, I'd have to steer with my feet. Not a good thing being only 5'5" with wheel steering.....;)

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
a canvas maker will make you a 12 inch tall helm seat with floatable closed cell foam. just remember to attach it to the cockpit helm with snaps or ties.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Sounds like you need a "booster chair"...

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
We're looking at a replacement for our with armrests and more cush for the tush.

All U Get

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Unless it can tuck into your variously shaped aft cockpit seat you need something that fits (II at least you'll use in other places.

Also, I'd see what it's like if you try and sit on/in it on a 10 degree (or more) slope.

Mar 29, 2011
Beneteau 361 Charlotte,Vt
I just bought a West Marine high back seat. It is the most comfortable cockpit seat I've every used. It is a bit big and bulky, but I love it.