Nagging leak in quarter berth

Jan 11, 2004
Hunter 31_83-87 Middle River, MD
I have been chasing a leak for about a year now, and would love some advice - 1986 Hunter 31. Water accumulates in the very aft portion of the quarter berth under the cockpit. The water has delaminated the bulkhead between the lazarette and the quarter berth over a period of time. I can also feel water in the head liner above this area, so I suspect leakage around the steering pedestal.
I have checked the cockpit drains on each end and they seem to be leak free. Next step may be to remove the cover over the steering quadrant and cable to get a better look in there.
I would love to hear from anyone with similar issues, and what you found and how you fixed it.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Tom, I have an ‘83. The first thing to determine is the water salt or fresh. That will give you some indication where it might be coming from. Back there there are a few places for water intrusion, the cockpit scuppers, where they exit the boat , your engine cooling system, your rudder tube, and the pedestal. If there is water in the cover over the steering quadrant then I would certainly agree that it’s at or near the pedestal. I take that cover off usually once a year to check my steering cables and lubricate the sheaves. It’s. It too bad, and can even be done by yourself if you are a bit of a contortionist. Good luck! Keep us posted.

• Helpful

DJAY

Apr 16, 2018
Hunter 31 Saylorville Lake
Tom:
If that doesn’t cure it, for your consideration I had/have water accumulating in the same place, but dry overhead. Replaced cockpit drain hoses (old and brittle with a few holes) and still getting water back there. Found a leak in fresh water tank lid/seal. Should finish that repair today. I expect, rather hope for, resolution but it’s a boat....

• Helpful

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
These threads may be of help.

Lots of places for a leak to start, then lots of ways for the water to move to a seemingly unrelated place or places.

On my H31 one main issue for the quarterberth problem was the scupper drain passing through the cockpit floor. A lesser issue was the rubber gasket/seal around the manual bilge pump on the transom coaming. Read these threads, take your time, and remember that any hardware should be bedded with butyl tape. Good luck.