My Mac is a little hard to keep on a straight cause under motor power, any thoughts

Sep 12, 2018
MacGregor 26X Ft. Lauderdale, FL and Travers
Just returned from a quick trip down the New River in Ft. Lauderdale under power. The boat seemed hard to keep on a straight track. I did not have the rudders installed, steering by prop only. Also, not sure if the daggerboard was down, the line to control raising or lowering seemed too slack. Assuming I get the dagger down, will having rudders attached help control the boat so a straight track can be enjoyed? Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Sep 12, 2018
MacGregor 26X Ft. Lauderdale, FL and Travers
So that means I can use both rudders and engine at same time. I was advised by someone in Michigan that using the rudders while motoring alone was not the best way to go.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
So that means I can use both rudders and engine at same time.
Just check for interference between either rudder and the propeller throughout their entire range of motion. You can do some tight maneuvering by working them together.

I was advised by someone in Michigan that using the rudders while motoring alone was not the best way to go.
Then motor with a friend! :biggrin:

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
With nothing to stop the boat from wallowing around, chances are that it's going to wander. The propellor wants very much to pass this lump of stiff that's preventing it from moving forward. Put the board down and use that as the fulcrum.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
So that means I can use both rudders and engine at same time. I was advised by someone in Michigan that using the rudders while motoring alone was not the best way to go.
I'd check with some other X or M owners. I believe it is going to be different what should be down depending on if you are running at displacement speeds or faster, which a X or M will do or in the transition speeds between displacement and planning. I sent you a PM,

Sumner
===========================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Dec 3, 2018
MacGregor 26X Georgetown, Maine
Just returned from a quick trip down the New River in Ft. Lauderdale under power. The boat seemed hard to keep on a straight track. I did not have the rudders installed, steering by prop only. Also, not sure if the daggerboard was down, the line to control raising or lowering seemed too slack. Assuming I get the dagger down, will having rudders attached help control the boat so a straight track can be enjoyed? Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
With the rudders up (or not present) and the centerboard up (Xs have a centerboard, not a daggerboard,) my X wanders around while motoring as well. There’s not enough structure to grip the water to provide tracking. MacGregor advises us not to use the rudders or centerboard at speeds over 6mph. However, I find that dropping the board about 1/4 of the way steadies the boat a lot. I am not an engineer or boat designer, so do this at your own judgement and be careful, especially when turning sharply.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
You didn't indicate what size motor you have. But I am sure if it is in the ballpark of <10hp then why are you not using the rudder and center board? These two items are pretty much essential to the operation of the boat. Like mentioned above, the use of both rudder and motor while turning can make for a very tight turn. But for normal operation (below 6knts?) put down that center board and use the rudder.

Jan 22, 2008
Macgregor 26X Ghost Lake, Cochrane AB
It is VERY important not to use the rudders or centreboard in down position when motoring any speed above this, particularly IF you have emptied ballast with the intent of reaching higher speeds. I will sometimes run with the centerboard down about 2 inches showing below the hull at moderate speeds but even at that you must be careful particularly when turning (don't turn sharply)

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Bad form, Meriachee, bad form.

I read in the 26x manual (curious) that indeed the boat is extremely unstable at higher speeds if the rudder is down or the centerboard. But they do say to put the CB down about 1/4 when going slow.

upload_2018-12-4_8-44-22.png

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Brian, nah. JSG and I have had many a conversation about the Mac, we both owned them for a very long time. I refrained from the “downhill with a tailwind” comment on purpose this time. :)

ris

Feb 23, 2015
Macgregor 26 FROSTPROOF
We just put a 42 inch long by 6 inch skeg on the aft center line of our 26X and the motoring without rudders is amazing. I can now line the boat up with trailer from 50 ft away and drive straight up on the trailer to the rubber stop with no help. We are starting the great loop for the second time in March 2019 and this will be a long term test of the skeg. We also had our 14 X 9 prop repitched to a 14 X 7 and picked up 850 rpm at wot. We can now run on plane with 1200 lbs of gear on board with our Honda 60 while getting 4.5 mpg. We get 10 mpg at 7.5 mph.