My dockmate's makin' me look bad!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I have lots of extra 30 and 50 amp power cords and they are clean. Reason is when I purchased my Symbol Sundeck powerboat recently I just went ahead and purchased all new 50 and 30 amp power cords and adapters.......then found in the lockers the PO's 50 and 30 amp power cords and adapters, which I cleaned up with acetone.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Just have to wonder if there's any long term harm
I take the general concept that most solvents affect plastics. But the question is more important than a simple, I think so.

The folks at "Miller Plastics" say: How Acetone Affects Certain Plastics

If you’re curious about how acetone affects certain plastics, you should know it has no impact on some materials, while it will cause others to dissolve. It’s sold in a metal container for a reason. But some companies also sell acetone as nail polish remover in plastic bottles made of high-density polyethylene. The material makes a difference.

I suspect the plastic wrapped around the cords is not HDPE.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
Thanks for the heads up. I had my doubts that it would work.

That was the only thing I found that cleaned my old Marinco cord. It removes a few 0.001" of material off the surface which is the only way to remove those bad stains. Did it to my old Marinco when I sold it. Looked like new although a little stiff. I think the trick is to wipe it fast and allow the acetone to evaporate immediately. I think if you really soaked the hose, the acetone would penetrate and you'd have problems.
I used that product on a severely bad-looking power cord last year. It was a bit of work, but I was pleased with the results.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
So run this by me again, I haven’t had enough rum. You bought a yellow power cord and it turned black. You polished it several times to get it yellow again. Then you buy a cover that makes it look black again. Seems easier to spend time and money on rum and watch your dockmate work.:huh:

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Just installed these 3/4" diameter split loom corrugated power cord cover on my 30 amp cord at the dock to mitigate uv damage and unsightly dock rash. Did the same for my 50 amp cord with a 1.25" diameter cover.

Attachments

Last edited: