My dockmate's makin' me look bad!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
They also make covers for cables. I always thought that was a little precious. Nevertheless, if you've ever cleaned one (I don't know about that product) you'd appreciate not having to clean it. It is a pain....

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I observe that the product has a warning.

Regarding using it the, label states, it is an IRRITANT.
A thing that is continually annoying “

I guess the post heading makes perfect sense.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Or you can cover your power cord. I have it covering my cruise-out power cord.....always looks clean when we cruise-out.
1622384112287.png

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
you can cover your power cord
Looking at a dress up'd power cord looks to me like what they do to little dogs...
1622385698659.png

These dogs just give off that vibe... "Common step a little closer"... I got you a "You dressed me up in this silly costume" bite to take a chunk out of your ankle...

Feb 21, 2013
And you cover your water hose with a vinyl cover, which keeps it clean and always looking attractive while coiled at the dock OR on the shore water hose connected to the boat.
1622386661364.png

• Ha
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Looking at a dress up'd power cord looks to me like what they do to little dogs..
Hell yeah, Both seem pointless, but many affectations of "yachting" seem that way.
(I would take a workboat over a fancy, polished, captains gig. Screw any club with a dresscode.)

With dogs, I just imagine the "conversations" at the dog park..
"Hey ! Look at how Dave is dressed today ! ROFL"
"That's not his fault. His stupid humans think that his fur isn't good enough. I suggested that he rip their throats out in their sleep, but he says they feed him raw meat diet and give him lots of cool toys. I wonder how he handles it in this heat"
"Hehe.. Yeah, but he still looks like an idiot instead of.. what.. an elf ? .. not sure... Regardless, I would still bite them when they try dress me"

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
@justsomeguy , I take it you have you used this Starbrite Power Cable Cleaner ? Does it REALLY work on heavily stained shore cables.

My five year old Smart Plug cord is the worst case I have seen as far as staining goes. It showed the first mildew like stains after about three years old and the stains are impossible to remove. It looks like a rattle snake with eczema. My old Marinco did become pretty stiff after about 15 years in the sun but never stained like this.

So in short, how is it for bad staining ?

Feb 21, 2013
For the winter get an attractive electrically-traced, freeze-protected water hose at the dock for washing your sail boat OR water supply to your boat's shore water connection. Your berth neighbors will be amazed that you are the only one with flowing water. I used these on my trailer winter camping.

1622824516485.png

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
For the winter get an attractive electrically-traced, freeze-protected water hose at the dock for washing your sail boat OR water supply to your boat's shore water connection. Your berth neighbors will be amazed that you are the only one with flowing water. I used these on my trailer winter camping.

View attachment 194843
That's amazing! Wouldn't work here. We winterize our dock water lines every Fall

Feb 21, 2013
An option for your dirty, white potable water hose clean is NOT TO CLEAN IT but REPLACE IT with a black hose say from Zero G. It always looks clean!! Do what I do and coil it up neatly in a round BLACK planter box like the one below.

1622825181944.png
1622825405935.png

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
More boat jewelry............don't forget to install personalized fender covers AND dock bumper fenders that allow you to neatly stow your fenders in a rail-mounted fender rack while you are docked at your marina.

1622827319759.png

Jan 4, 2006
I did not find that product to work.
Thanks for the heads up. I had my doubts that it would work.

Found acetone to work cleaning up an old-looking power cable.
That was the only thing I found that cleaned my old Marinco cord. It removes a few 0.001" of material off the surface which is the only way to remove those bad stains. Did it to my old Marinco when I sold it. Looked like new although a little stiff. I think the trick is to wipe it fast and allow the acetone to evaporate immediately. I think if you really soaked the hose, the acetone would penetrate and you'd have problems.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I take it you have you used this Starbrite Power Cable Cleaner ?
No, I have not, and it didn't appear to work quite as good as some dish soap and a Scotchbright pad.

I like my dockmate, but I think the stuff is marketed to anal-retentives.
NTTAWWT :wink:

Jan 4, 2006
My cord now looks so bad I'm considering at a mixture of suphuric acid and nitroglycerine to see if I can clean it up a little.

I know that I'm always at least five minutes behind the times, but I've got to know what NTTAWWT stands for :doh: ? ? ? ?