My C30 YouTube Channel (SailingSole)

Dec 31, 2022
Catalina 30 Long Beach
Hello sailors and sister ships!

I purchased my 1978 Catalina 30 roughly two years ago (Aug 2020) for $3500 and I’ve been learning and refitting it ever since. Ive done a TON of stuff to it. I’ve been filming just about everything and recently started making YouTube videos from past and present.

My YouTube channel: SailingSole.

Let me know if you would like me to post them here or maybe that is not allowed? I don’t know but I’d love to share my videos with fellow C30 owners because I love seeing other C30 videos and I thought you might like them.

My apologies in advance if this is taboo. I’m just having fun with it and I wanted to share.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks and cheers!
Andy

https://YouTube.com/@sailingsole

Feb 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII Pasadena, MD
I just watch the first video, it looks good. I'm looking forward to see the repairs and improvements you have made and will make to your boat. I have a 1987 Catalina 30 MKII TR (Tall Rig), I've had it since 2013. My boat is at a marina close to the mouth of the Patapsco river and the Chesapeake bay, so we get large ships going to and from the port of Baltimore. I added a cheap AIS receiver and display it on OpenCPN (chart plotter software that runs on Windows and Android), its great for tracking large commercial ships (the ones I worry about). From my marina I can pickup the ships in the port of Baltimore and all the way to Baltimore's inter harbor (9.5 nautical miles straight line distance over land and water). This may be something you may be interested in to avoid large ships sneaking up from behind you.

For those who may be interested in a cheap AIS receiver, here is what I have:

AIS receiver with NMEA 0183 interface ($95.00):
dAISy 2+ dual-channel AIS Receiver with NMEA 0183 output

Splitter for VHF antenna so both the AIS receiver and VHF radio can use the same antenna ($39.99):
Glomex VHfor AIS/Radio Splitter - 12VDC - RA201 | Anchor Express

For OpenCPN I use WIFI to send data to an Android tablet, so I use this RS-422 to WIFI (it was $51.98 in 2019 when I bought it):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATV2DX2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since the above WIFI converter is not available, something like this should work ($40.85):
https://www.amazon.com/USR-TCP232-3...2+rs485+rs422+converter,electronics,68&sr=1-1

Dec 7, 2019
None yet None yet Vancouver, Wa
Hello sailors and sister ships!

I purchased my 1978 Catalina 30 roughly two years ago (Aug 2020) for $3500 and I’ve been learning and refitting it ever since. Ive done a TON of stuff to it. I’ve been filming just about everything and recently started making YouTube videos from past and present.

My YouTube channel: SailingSole.

Let me know if you would like me to post them here or maybe that is not allowed? I don’t know but I’d love to share my videos with fellow C30 owners because I love seeing other C30 videos and I thought you might like them.

My apologies in advance if this is taboo. I’m just having fun with it and I wanted to share.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks and cheers!
Andy

https://YouTube.com/@sailingsole
Hey Andy

Nice videos and greal catch on your Catalina 30. Living the dream in Long Beach ✌ I am in the market for one up here in the Portland, Oregon area. Wish we had your weather this time of year. Did yours have the Catalina smile when you hauled it? I am talking about the separation of the forward part of the keel with the hull. That seems to be the main issue with these boats.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2022
Catalina 30 Long Beach
Hi there Anzac, yes it did have a slight Catalina smile when I hauled it out. I was told by the boatyard and a few other people that it’s common and not to worry about it.
I checked the keel bolts and their torque/tension. All good. So I grinded out the smile slightly and filled it with 4200 (slightly flexible) then 3M faring compound (I forget the exact type). Then primer and bottom paint, done. I’ve stopped worrying about it two years ago. My case wasn’t very bad but every boat is different. I feel like mine was built like a tank!
Cheers!
Andy

Dec 7, 2019
None yet None yet Vancouver, Wa
Glad you boat was not too bad. Seems the 1988 and newer ones have the keel secured better without the use of wood. These are great boats and built really well.

Dec 31, 2022
Catalina 30 Long Beach
Really? I didn’t know that. I’ve been on a few newer ones (newer than mine but definitely not NEW) and the decks and companionway cover seemed more thin and flexible than mine. Like it was thinner with less fiberglass.
They are great boats and the best bang for your buck in my opinion.
I just wish they were suited a little more for bluewater sailing. I still love my boat though. Cheers!