Music to calm the savage beast you

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
My wife and I have a tradition of playing Neil Diamond when the weather gets extremely nasty. It's hard to feel miserable with breaking waves all around and listening to Sweet Caroline.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Wife and I recently went on a 3 HR. lunch cruise to watch log canoe races at Chestertown in the Chesapeake bay. Captain started engines, turned on the music. First song was Gilligan's Island. Adults are cracking up laughing,kids are " what's so funny" ?

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
What???
There are no Megadeath sailors?
The System Has Failed should be quite calming and reassuring when the big pole drops down for a quick dip. :yeah:

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I think I'll find a rip of Gilligans Island.. That sound's great. Hey, the OP was looking for some mellow stuff along the line of "sails." - I'm of the idea that a bit more uptempo is a bit more keeping the boat happy. But for a bit more mellow (with a nautical theme) I'd suggest Gordon Lightfoot. Oh wait.. one of his biggest songs was about a shipwreck with all hands lost, but it's good music nonetheless. (Add the entirety of American folk Music to the list)

For those that are worried about flipping over, my speech is pretty much "There's 4000 pounds of lead hanging below this boat... it cannot flip over..." (yes, I know it really can) I also sail flatter with newbies. And if folks turn green we go in as soon as I notice it. (I really don't know how folks turn green in 2ft wind waves, no swell, and a nice flat pacific... but hey...)

And, for me, more uptempo stuff calms the newbies better than mellow stuff.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
I'm gonna be the odd frog out here. I love music and love it on the boat. But I've found that it's somewhat of a distraction with other people onboard. I greatly prefer the sound of the wind, waves and good conversation.
But , then, you're a frog, so...

:biggrin:

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
I think I'll find a rip of Gilligans Island.. That sound's great.
Have you guys heard Amazing Grace sung to the tune of Gilligan's Island? Or vice versa. Also works with House of the Risng Sun. There is a comedian on YouTube that does them both.

Nov 14, 2016
Hunter 30 (1978) Milwaukee, WI
EVERY Sunday morning on the hook.

Van Morrison - Poetic Champions Compose.
View attachment 140284
Bluesy, Jazzy, Mellow, Introspective. Perfect.

1. "Spanish Steps" – 5:20
  2. "The Mystery" – 5:16
  3. "Queen of the Slipstream" – 4:55
  4. "I Forgot That Love Existed" – 4:17
  5. "Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child" (traditional) – 4:27
  1. "Celtic Excavation" – 3:17
  2. "Someone Like You" – 4:06
  3. "Alan Watts Blues" – 4:24
  4. "Give Me My Rapture" – 3:44
  5. "Did Ye Get Healed?" – 4:06
  6. "Allow Me" – 3:53
Hadn't heard of this album but now I've pretty much got Queen of the Slipstream on repeat

Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN

Now THAT I like..a LOT! I had never heard that album before but you can bet it will be playing the next time we go on a sunset sail! Thanks for the suggestion!

I'd think that more upbeat music would better sooth the savage beast.
@pateco I have Trombone Shorty & Grateful Dead on my upbeat sailing playlist.

I have a wide variety in my relaxing sailing music playlist. Here are a few:
  • Allman Brothers Band - Soulshine
  • Enya - Watermark
  • Zac Brown Band - Toes
  • Otis Redding - Sitting on the Dock of the Bay
  • Dire Straits - Down to the Waterline
  • Mamas & Papas - California Dreamin'
  • Jackson Browne - Running on Empty
  • Van Morrison - Into the Mystic
  • Lyle Lovett - If I had a Boat
  • Ben Rector - Sailboat
  • Chris Stapleton - Tennessee Whiskey
  • Crosby Stills & Nash - Southern Cross
  • Amos Lee - Arms of a Woman
  • Milo Greene - Autumn Tree
  • Elton John - Rocket Man
  • Tedeschi Trucks Band - Midnight in Harlem
  • Frank Sinatra - Summer Wind
  • Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
  • Peter Green Splinter Group - Albatross

and now, the entire Poetic Champions Compose album

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Somewhat music, and great short stories to listen to on the boat to pass the evenings is "Celestial Navigations". Actor Geoffrey Lewis performed on the most recent edition of the Smothers Brothers TV show- when they had the Yo-Yo Man! With a couple of synthesizers behind him for musical accents, he told stories of a few minutes, maybe up to 10 minutes. My favorite is Ice Princess. They have 5 or 6 CDs, maybe in the New Age genre section?

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
OK, I give! Apparently there's a lot of acceptable, calming, music. I'm surprised those antagonistic individuals haven't suggested this song, with a point of no return:

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
OK, I give! Apparently there's a lot of acceptable, calming, music. I'm surprised those antagonistic individuals haven't suggested this song, with a point of no return:
I've had crew complain about some of my playlists heavily favoring Kansas. Kids these days..... Truly one of the greatest American bands of all time, at least up to POKR. It IS a great sailing song. IMHO, there's not a single bad song on "Point of Know Return" or "Leftoverture" -- I'll often track through the first 4 albums in succession until somebody else on the boat gets annoyed...

That video doesn't do any justice to what the band was like live back in the day.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Yup.. I have to have a bit of my "heritage music" on board when the sailing gets spritly !
this is my cousin, Marc Savoy and some of his family playing some traditional Cajun music..

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Any bagpipes version of Amazing Grace.
Go to Google and search for "Amazing Grace on the bagpipes" and you'll have a lot of choices to listen to or record.
Patrick

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI

View attachment 140284
Bluesy, Jazzy, Mellow, Introspective. Perfect

1. "Spanish Steps" – 5:20
  2. "The Mystery" – 5:16
  3. "Queen of the Slipstream" – 4:55
  4. "I Forgot That Love Existed" – 4:17
  5. "Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child" (traditional) – 4:27
  1. "Celtic Excavation" – 3:17
  2. "Someone Like You" – 4:06
  3. "Alan Watts Blues" – 4:24
  4. "Give Me My Rapture" – 3:44
  5. "Did Ye Get Healed?" – 4:06
  6. "Allow Me" – 3:53
Nice find, didn't have this one. I dl'd it off iTunes and find myself listening to it every morning over my cup of coffee while sitting on the dock or in the cockpit.

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod
Yacht rock. Great selections. Any and all music onboard qualifies...Your guests will laugh...at first...As you offer up along with the apertif's some Hall & Oates, Michael Macdonald, Christopher Cross (ride like the wind), Styx, Enya (sail away), Mr. Probz, (wave after wave) Little river band, ect. You mix it up with some current Taylor Swift diddy's and your guestswill be amazed....or mutiny.