Music to calm the savage beast you

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Maybe start a new tradition.

Take some flower petals with you and as you are returning to a safe harbor, sprinkle them and play this...

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
EVERY Sunday morning on the hook.

Van Morrison - Poetic Champions Compose.
View attachment 140284
Bluesy, Jazzy, Mellow, Introspective. Perfect.

1. "Spanish Steps" – 5:20
  2. "The Mystery" – 5:16
  3. "Queen of the Slipstream" – 4:55
  4. "I Forgot That Love Existed" – 4:17
  5. "Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child" (traditional) – 4:27
  1. "Celtic Excavation" – 3:17
  2. "Someone Like You" – 4:06
  3. "Alan Watts Blues" – 4:24
  4. "Give Me My Rapture" – 3:44
  5. "Did Ye Get Healed?" – 4:06
  6. "Allow Me" – 3:53
Perfect selection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Couldn't agree more. Poetic Champions Compose is one of my all-time favorite albums.

EV21

Apr 29, 2016
Macgregor 21 Venture Delaware ...
My daughter introduced me to a Sirius station that IDs as Yacht Rock. I like it. If you have a sat receiver give it a try.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I have an eclectic playlist.
Steely Dan
Tito Puente
French Club Jazz
Grateful Dead
Led Zeppelin
Trombone Shortie

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
My daughter introduced me to a Sirius station that IDs as Yacht Rock. I like it. If you have a sat receiver give it a try.
OK, that was an easy find.
Yacht Rock is coincidentally on Spotify. Who Knew!!! Now added to my iPhone. Thanks @EV21
I already have the Van Morrison albums. I play them when I'm cleaning portlights and hatch covers.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Trombone Shorty is absolutely killer.

I've got a very eclectic playlist. Eagles, Travis Tritt, Genesis, Little Feat, Buffet, B.B King, Steve Miller, Zep, Doobies, Rush, etc. Pretty much anything but hip-hop. I listen to lots of stuff nobodies ever heard of like Big Big Train, Karmakanic, Spock's Beard, Magic Pie, etc...

On the boat, I've been on a '70s bigband kick lately:

And hey, same concept but from this century (and these guys are very very very good):

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Maynard was an animal. Went to see him several times in the 80's. Gave him a Massey Ferguson ball cap (MF logo) from the front row at a concert, and he wore it the whole show! Check out his version of MacArthur Park, and Eli's Comin'.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Beach Boys and Buffet usually playing when we anchor having "Sundowners". Then we have enough cruising friends that play guitars singing folk and shanty. Can't help myself sometimes the Jaws theme hits the CD player.

All U Get

Nov 30, 2015
So mates, I appreciate all of your feedback with respect to awesome sailing music. Some good, some entertaining, some for fun, but none that really calms the beast (or breast) in uncomfortable guests. I therefore have to revert to the most calming sailing song ever, performed originally in 1976 by the group "Orleans" on their album Waking and Dreaming. I was looking for something along this genre.

Steve Wariner picked up, as did several other significant musicians to carry on this song. It's short but powerful, and hell, it makes me calm in moments of questionable boat response or necessary corrective action.

I suspect I'll just loop this single over and over during those suspect moments prior to guests vomiting onboard or requesting their PFD prematurely.

Keep posting your favorites...I'll certainly add them to my playlists.

Nov 30, 2015
Old guys dig this song...here's one who play's it to perfection. Any takers out there to do it on their Guitar and post...don't be shy! There's no critical authors on this website. Right? Practice and post. I'll contribute to your video.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Ayup.. I'll blast Maynard's MacArthur Park at pretty high levels. I'm in the camp that thinks the Richard Harris version is one of the worst songs ever recorded - but the Maynard version is great.

Wayne Bergeron (Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band, many others) used to play for Maynard in the '80s. There's a recording of him playing MacArthur Park at a MF tribute concert.

Somehow it works on the boat. Not that I'll turn off It's Five O Clock Somewhere when that comes on.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
So mates, I appreciate all of your feedback with respect to awesome sailing music. Some good, some entertaining, some for fun, but none that really calms the beast (or breast) in uncomfortable guests. I therefore have to revert to the most calming sailing song ever, performed originally in 1976 by the group "Orleans" on their album Waking and Dreaming. I was looking for something along this genre.

Steve Wariner picked up, as did several other significant musicians to carry on this song. It's short but powerful, and hell, it makes me calm in moments of questionable boat response or necessary corrective action.

I suspect I'll just loop this single over and over during those suspect moments prior to guests vomiting onboard or requesting their PFD prematurely.

Keep posting your favorites...I'll certainly add them to my playlists.
Anything Steve Wariner does is good stuff.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Maynard was an animal. Went to see him several times in the 80's. Gave him a Massey Ferguson ball cap (MF logo) from the front row at a concert, and he wore it the whole show! Check out his version of MacArthur Park, and Eli's Comin'.
Saw Maynard in 79 playing with Ravi Shankar on Sitar. He kicked but. However, I find many of his recordings a little showy. His solos are technically wonderful, but just too busy for the songs. His version of Birdland is very good though.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I'm gonna be the odd frog out here. I love music and love it on the boat. But I've found that it's somewhat of a distraction with other people onboard. I greatly prefer the sound of the wind, waves and good conversation.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
I'm gonna be the odd frog out here. I love music and love it on the boat. But I've found that it's somewhat of a distraction with other people onboard. I greatly prefer the sound of the wind, waves and good conversation.
I tend to agree. Music is great at the right moment, and can really enhance a great day on the water, but if the sailing is getting hairy, the music gets shut off.