Multifunction Display: CHIRP Sonar Transducer

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Catalina 310 258 Sandusky, OH
We've been thinking of adding a MultiFunction Display (MFD). Primary use will be chartplotter and CHIRP Down Vision sonar. With Brio's fin keel and 6' draft, We'd like to see the rocks and wayward refrigerators on the bottom of Lake Erie while navigating at low speed. We've twice bumped off of an unexpected, uncharted obstruction in recent seasons. No hard hits, but we prefer never again. A secondary use would be as occasional fish finder.

The immediate concern is selecting and mounting the thru-hull transducer while on the hard. I have all Raymarine electronics and have been looking at their choices. What MFD's have worked well? Where is the best place to mount the transducer, and should I plan on aiming straight down or with some "look ahead" angle. Most online application guides are focused in fishing boats, and I haven't found much help for our application. Any experience or suggestions are welcome. Thanks,

Ed

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Can't help you with the CHIRP, but I added a Raymarine e7D MFD to our C310. Mounted it on the rails just under the original RM ST60 displays using a Navpod. Used a Seatalk1 to Seatalkng adapter so the ST60s feed data to the MFD. So far I've been very happy with it. Next step is to feed it AIS data from a newly installed Standard Horizons VHF. Eventually I may put a new depth transducer in, since the e7D will do cool depth graphics with the new transducers.

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Thanks. Are you finding the 7" display adequate? I'm vacillating between 7" and 9". Larger is good unless it blocks forward vision too much. My ST60's: Wind, Depth, Speed paddlewheel feed into my SFX-5 Autopilot with Seatalk. I'm hoping I can use the SFX-5 as a gateway to Seatalkng. I was planning to keep the old transducers and add another hole for the Down Vision sonar transducer. Wondering if moving the transducer hole more forward will tilt the sonar field forward for a better look ahead. Anyone understand the compromises with this?
Concerned too with running out of room in the pedestal guard with the added wiring. Considering a new NavPod for MFD and an i70 to replace the old ST60 displays. i70 could watch wind when sailing in deeper water and depth when motoring in close, along with the MFD bottom view. Ideally most information would be available on both as backups.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2012
The 7" seems ok and the second pod fits nicely on the guard. Larger is nice, but the cost really jumps up-very different from TV prices! You should check with Raymarine tech support about using the SFX-5 as an interface; they were very helpful when I put mine together. I had to include the Seatalk1-Seatalkng adapter in the pod with the e7D. A little cramped, but not bad. I know they make a pod that holds the MFD and 1-2 small displays, but I like having all three ST-60 visible.
IMG_0508.JPG

Nov 16, 2012
Was just looking at the Raymarine site and noticed that the e7 and e95/97 have the same resolution, just different screen sizes. Something to keep an eye out for. I also use an iPad as a remote display/controller. Real nice feature.

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Thanks all. Nice installations! With Paul's display, helmswife can watch Dr. Phil while sailing.
I have the straight pedestal guard and may have to add the bent one to my project scope. Would also improve readability from the side with the instruments a bit forward. Pedestal is why I was thinking of consolidating some of the ST60's and replacing my NavPod (which is warped and leaks too). Currently we use iPad with Navionics as primary chart, so I really wouldn't want an MFD smaller than that. We also use a GPSmap 76Cx for logging and NMEA connected to Autopilot.