MRE meals. any good??

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I had 21 straight meals of cold ham and lima beans. When I was in, they had a pack of cigarettes with every meal. Since I didn't smoke I could trade for fruit cocktail. Still can't eat lima beans. And we had a waaaay different name for ham and lima beads.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
What a tasty thread! Ha.
I have always felt lucky not to have been sent to serve "in country"... and now there's another reason to appreciate the chow hall on our little shore base in the M.I. (Guam)

:)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I ate some when my brother who was career military brought them for a ski trip. Yeah, when our family goes, we go cheap. They weren't bad and they were free. They would make an OK emergency ration on a cruise if you had a late arrival or rough passage and when going to shore or preparing a meal aren't good options. I usually keep a can or two of Spam onboard for such occasions.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Funny you should bring this up. We just had a dinner presentation on this subject at the BYC. Check out theyummylife.com. These are meals you can prepare at home from freeze dried ingredients. You just add hot water when it's time to eat. They're quite good and they do not have all that salt and sugar, etc. They are also mush less expensive. We served samples at he club and had some left over. I have been bringing them to work for lunch. The office is very curious.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I keep a portion of the galley locker stocked with dried, sealed and canned foods, capable of providing weeks worth of meals if all the fresh or frozen is gone. Strip the boxes away from a beans and rice meal and you can pack 3 in the space of one in a box. Fish, chicken and beef are all available in Mylar pouches and easy to stuff into an odd cabinet corner. Dried fruit in a ziplock can be returned to normal with a warm water soak. Some spices, a can of tomatoes and a box of spaghetti will feed a hungry crew. The Europeans produce some great sea crackers that will stay fresh and crisp and provide true whole grains. Wasa is a staple on our boat in lieu of bread. Last but not least - nuts, goobers and almonds are my go-to breakfast food, but serve well on a late night watch. Starbucks now sells an incredible single use dried coffee. Leave the MRE ashore too many empty calories.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I am glad I was in the Navy, and never subjected to MREs. Ship food was always a cut above, even counting SOS (chipped beef on toast).
C'mon Chip. SOS is "$hit on a Shingle". We used to deploy with the Midway. As the cruise went longer we went from fresh milk to sterilized to powdered. Similar with eggs. Still, we always thought it was a treat to eat in a Navy mess hall. We were in heaven when we ate at an Air Force "restaurant'. Semper Fi !

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I was eating SOS before I had teeth; along with powdered eggs, block cheese and warm canned milk. Start em young!

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
C'mon Chip. SOS is "$hit on a Shingle". We used to deploy with the Midway. As the cruise went longer we went from fresh milk to sterilized to powdered. Similar with eggs. Still, we always thought it was a treat to eat in a Navy mess hall. We were in heaven when we ate at an Air Force "restaurant'. Semper Fi !
Here is a sample menu from a sailor on the CVN-77 George H.W. Bush 2014

"Breakfast:
Scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, bacon, sausage patties, biscuits, hash browns, rice with eggs and corned beef hash. There is also assorted cereal and pancakes, waffles or both.

Lunch:
It varies, but there is usually a meat or fish and a couple different starches. Rice, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, mixed vegetables, broccoli, salad bar, Mac and Cheese. Usually, there is some variation of taco's on Tuesday's, burgers on Wednesday's and pizza on Friday or Saturday, I can't remember which.

Dinner:
Pretty much the same as lunch with small variations. Sometimes they put out ready made Chicken Cordon on Bleu (happy time). But there is always a pork, chicken, fish or sometimes steak. They usually have pasta with white or red sauce and little meatballs. There are always assorted vegetables and normally there is a dessert of some kind. There is also one of those ice cream dispensers on during lunch and dinner, but they run out fast. On Sunday's, you can expect steak and crab legs, but you better get to the galley early before they run out.

MidRats: (Midnight rations)
Whatever is leftover, literally."

I remember having steak and eggs or omelettes for MidRats many times. I'll take this over MREs any day.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
We've tried MREs as meals for offshore races and we never saw the rationale. If you can boil water on a boat (and who can't) freeze dried or any 'just add water' meal is a better choice from a fill-you-up, warm tummy, variety, and nutritional perspective. And MREs are not cheap.

Aug 30, 2016
Cabot 36 Jacksonville Beach, FL
He said enema. LOL. Yeah, after a few of these you may need that enema. LOL
That's why they serve you chocolate pudding with dinner in the Army. Cleans your system right out.

Enough Tabasco sauce can make even the bad ones edible...

There are so many more options for pre-made meals, freeze dried, easy to store/cook meals, that I'd avoid MRE's

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
When I was in Afghanistan I would dine at one of the mess halls. The cooks and crew were from Georgia, the country not the state. One day I looked at the mystery meat and asked (in my perfect Russian accent) "es Moose or Squirrel?" He just looked at me.

Jul 26, 2017
pearson 35 quincy
I was on subs in the navy always ate great (steak whenever you wanted). I have some freeze dried breakfast scramble I keep on the boat, but try to eat fresh as much as possible. I always have a case of spam and a big plastic bin of rice just in case things run out , If I catch a fish its rice and fish, if not its spam and rice. Only gets to that point around day 15 or so on a long passage. Anyone who has spent time in Guam or Hawaii know the value and versatility of Spam.

Nov 8, 2010
When I was in Afghanistan I would dine at one of the mess halls. The cooks and crew were from Georgia, the country not the state. One day I looked at the mystery meat and asked (in my perfect Russian accent) "es Moose or Squirrel?" He just looked at me.
That's hilarious. But maybe because they don't speak Russian in the county of Georgia?? ;^)

Nov 8, 2010
I always have a case of spam and a big plastic bin of rice just in case things run out , If I catch a fish its rice and fish, if not its spam and rice. Only gets to that point around day 15 or so on a long passage. Anyone who has spent time in Guam or Hawaii know the value and versatility of Spam.
Or from southern Minnesota. Jodi is from Austin (the home of SPAM) and one of her friends is the marketing manager for SPAM. I've since learned to not to get her going on SPAM. Lady can talk for HOURS about it.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I was on subs in the navy always ate great
:plus: Stationed on shore duty at New London Sub Base '70-'71. Worked on the reactors of the nuc ballistic subs. Best food ever. What ever you wanted. Cooked to order.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I am enjoying all the replies, but please also note my original post is much more inclusive than just the military MRE ;) as a refresher it was:
"Just curious if anyone uses freeze dried or other MRE type meals onboard, and if any in particular are better than others."
I know back in the 70s there were (freeze dried?) meals that you dumped hot water in the bag and had a decent tasting meal.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
This thread is about us now ;)
Some of the survival, zombie apocalypse companies promise to have some good tasting meals