Motor for Capri 18

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
Hello Everyone,

Best guess is that my mercury 5hp is from the mid 90’s. The boat is a 1993, so ‘93 or ‘94 seems a good guess. I have not had much trouble with it, but this year I intend to put a lot more hours on it.

considering a new motor. Huge plus would be that I could get one with an appropriate shaft length. on the minus side is that from the specs I’ve read, 4 stroke outboards are a lot heavier than the old ones. I’m considering a 4 hp to cut down a little on weight (and cost), I think that should be sufficient.

any advice?

John

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
I seem To have dropped this question in the wrong forum.
I thought I was on the Catalina side of things. . . sorry about that!

Feb 21, 2019
Catalina 30 TR 3571 Cocoa, FL
John, I have a Suzuki 2.5 on my Hunter 18 and love it. Its quiet, reliable, and at 29 lbs (short shaft) you won't find a lighter 4-stroke kicker. There's a J-24 that uses one in our club and I've even towed a Catalina 27 out of our marina that had engine troubles - there's more than enough power for your boat even on the windiest days.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have a tohatsu 6
Probably more than you need but I can put in a plug for tohatsu. Mine starts on the first pull every time... even after a few months of winter layover.

tohatsu makes smaller engines. Also, you might consider a 55lb thrust trolling motor and add a deep cycle battery and a small trickle charger solar?

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
I bought a Tohatsu SailPro 5HP Propane last season for my O’Day 192 and really really like it. Not a single issue all season and always started right up.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Spoke with owner. Suggested purchase of kit to lengthen shaft from 15 to 20 inches advising his Mercury 5 hp was built by Tohatsu