• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

Motor for Capri 18

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
Hello Everyone,

Best guess is that my mercury 5hp is from the mid 90’s. The boat is a 1993, so ‘93 or ‘94 seems a good guess. I have not had much trouble with it, but this year I intend to put a lot more hours on it.

considering a new motor. Huge plus would be that I could get one with an appropriate shaft length. on the minus side is that from the specs I’ve read, 4 stroke outboards are a lot heavier than the old ones. I’m considering a 4 hp to cut down a little on weight (and cost), I think that should be sufficient.

any advice?

John

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
I seem To have dropped this question in the wrong forum.
I thought I was on the Catalina side of things. . . sorry about that!

Feb 21, 2019
Catalina 30 TR 3571 Cocoa, FL
John, I have a Suzuki 2.5 on my Hunter 18 and love it. Its quiet, reliable, and at 29 lbs (short shaft) you won't find a lighter 4-stroke kicker. There's a J-24 that uses one in our club and I've even towed a Catalina 27 out of our marina that had engine troubles - there's more than enough power for your boat even on the windiest days.

Jan 19, 2010
Hunter 26 Charleston
I have a tohatsu 6
Probably more than you need but I can put in a plug for tohatsu. Mine starts on the first pull every time... even after a few months of winter layover.

tohatsu makes smaller engines. Also, you might consider a 55lb thrust trolling motor and add a deep cycle battery and a small trickle charger solar?

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
I bought a Tohatsu SailPro 5HP Propane last season for my O’Day 192 and really really like it. Not a single issue all season and always started right up.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Spoke with owner. Suggested purchase of kit to lengthen shaft from 15 to 20 inches advising his Mercury 5 hp was built by Tohatsu