Morgan 45 Diesel Power

Dec 30, 2008
Catalina C36 MK II Milwaukee
I am looking for a boat to live aboard in the south and cruise the Caribbean. The Morgan 45 seems like a good prospect but I'm concerned that the 46 HP Yanmar may be under-powered for a 25,000 Lb. vessel. Does anyone have any experience with a similar set-up? Any thoughts, information, or baseless gossip about these boats would also be appreciated. Thanks.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
46 HP for a 25,000 pound vessel should be adequate - if that is what that boat actually displaces? Are you sure you are not about 10,000 pounds shy on that number?

I once chartered a Morgan 41 center cockpit and it seemed to have huge storage space and a nice size engine room with great access.

Dec 30, 2008
Catalina C36 MK II Milwaukee
Thanks for your reply johnb. The displacement I quoted seems pretty typical for the Morgan 45's listed on Yachtworld (and for many 45' cruising sailboats for that matter). I just wouldn't want to get stuck on a long cruise wishing for another 5-10 HP while struggling to make headway through high seas and unfavorable winds. Interestingly enough newer versions of the same Yanmar model: 4JH2E engine are listed at 50 HP. It makes me wonder how Yanmar squeezed the extra power out, and if it could be done to earlier versions of the same engine.