Moorage

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CO Ediorial

How do you moor your boat and what do you pay? Does it sit in your already-paid driveway, rock at a float, rest on a dock, or reside tied to a traditional slip in a marina? What do you pay for your moorage? Have your moorage costs gone up? Is there a shortage of slips in your area? Moor your thoughts here, then vote in the week's Quick Quiz at the bottom of the home page.

K

Keith Fullenwider

I hope I can pay my slip rent by the time a retire

I keep my 38 foot sailboat in a traditional marina slip. I pay $550 a month. There is a 3 to 4 year wait for slips of my size, so I guess we're talking a shortage. I use my boat 60 to 70 days a year to justify the expense. Our marina just hit us with an increase last June.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Catalina Owners

$74.25 per month for 27'

And that includes electricity! I moved from the relatively luxurious moorage here on the Columbia River (concrete docks, lighting, showers, locked gates) to a floating home moorage with space for boats. Parallel parking, bumpy wooden docks, very little parking & no public bathrooms (I'm lucky cuz Rob's mom just boat the floating home my boat's tied next to!) but under $75 a month. Can't beat it with a stick! LaDonna

S

Scott May

$62.00 a month

I pay $62.00 a month for my 27 at the city Yacht basin. My slip is about 200 yards from the Gulf of Mexico. When i lived in Ft. Lauderdale FL i was paying 150.00 a month for a slip that was 5 miles from the Atlantic. Location is everything i guess.

M

Mark

$140/Month for a 30' Slip

I pay a little over $4/foot. This includes tax, electicity, water, showers, security gates, laundy-mat, and all other services well within walking distance! I am pretty happy! And I am only about 6 miles from the San Juan Islands!

J

Jeff Walker

I'm embarrassed to tell you...

My live-aboard slip at King Harbor costs me $450/mo. for a 33 foot max. LOA boat. I priced Dana Point where Keith is but I'd have to win the Lotto to afford it and wait 2 years. They also won't allow a live-aboard on anything less than a 36' boat. I didn't think a little patch of water could be sooooo expensive. Jeff

B

Bob Robeson

Too Much!

We are paying over $190 a month for a standard twin slip. We are looking at moving it to another slip for $99.00 amonth. Bob

B

Bob Robeson

More info.

Our 36 foot Slip is on Hayden Bay, Portland Oregon. there is no shortage of slip and the price just went up. Bob

K

Ken Perry

Inland lake

My 35' slip has now gone to $175/mo and this does not include electricity. It does include free fresh water and security service. Overall I think the marina is the best on the lake, I just think it is pretty expensive. Also, I feel that all boat owners who have a vessel to large to easily move are at the mercy of the marina owners. There really isn't much choice here in N. TX. I felt lucky to secure the slip at this price.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Bob

I know of some openings over on the south side of Hayden Island. Email me at ladonna@catalinaowners.com if you need to know details. LaDonna

B

Bob Gauvreau

On SF Bay...

We are in Ballena Isle Marina, in the San Francisco South Bay. About 1 hour of (good) sailing (or motoring) from the south to the Bay Bridge. We (currently) pay $271/month for a 36' X 13' berth, plus electricity. Telephone if we want it, for extra charge...(don't want it.) Restrooms are fine. Good showers. Nice people. The closer you get to "The Slot" (SF city front), the more you pay...figures.

R

Rob Laymon

$130 per month

I pay $130 per, in season, for a rickety dock and questionable facilities and the company of oddballs and ne'er-do-wells who constitute a large part of the sailing population here, I'm happy to say. (This is a C22 we're talking about.) It's all so wonderfully low rent I couldn't be happier.

J

Joe Ford

For my Cat 27 I pay.....

$229/mo winter, $243 summer. $12 utility fee included. No official live-aboards because Marina Village is on city park land, but there is a $100/mo "excess usage" fee. Great parking, clean, good security, nice people. Besides ocean sailing (1 mile) Mission Bay is a great place to explore in dingy, on a bicycle or on foot. I drive down here from Orange County, 85 miles up I-5.

S

Sean

Inland TX

I am currently paying $190/month for a Cat 27'. Slips includes elect. but thats about it. Ammenities include a skid-o-can and a rickity wooden dock. The lake (Lake Travis) is at 54% full, so it is a long walk to the docks. The lake is so low they just started moving the t-heads out to deeper water and are shuttling people to their boats. So I am happy that I have a slip on the main dock.

K

Keith Fullenwider

I guess the cost is all relative...my butt!!!

Just got through reading the rest of the replies and I'm BLUE with envy...to some extent. My slip fee is approaching my mortgate payment!!! Though Dana Point is a true jewel of the Pacific, and I live about 5-10 minutes from the slip, and I'm less than 5 minutes from the open sea...blah, blah, blah...the average boater is going to be priced out of the market in a few years here. But I guess you pay for location, weather, etc., but my god how long can we last?

T

Tom Senator

$73(semi-exposed) to $85/foot per season.=$416 mo.

Such is life within proximity to NY City. Great location right on the Long Island Sound (and all within 6 nm of the Sand Hole (Llyods point);-) Season can start about early April and lasts until late October. So if you are really lucky you can get in 7 months (but 6 is more like it). So for a 30 foot slip it costs about $2500 for the summer (with tax and power) on the "semi-exposed" slips. There is nothing special (no pool or Lounges) And it still comes to about $416 per month !! So it goes...the marinas on the CT side of the sound, near the City are full with waiting lists (know of a few in Norwalk) that are charging up to $100/foot per season (30 foot boat comes to about $535 per month)....... I do know that the further you get from the city the cheaper the summer dockage. I don't know what the Mooring fees are around here, but most permits are taken up by residents and Yacht Clubs

D

Dave Ullrich

Great locatoin and still CHEAP!

My Cat 30 in docked in Willoughby Bay off of the Southern Chesapeake Bay. It's a 10 min. sail to the bay and only 2 hours to the Atlantic! It's the pererct location. I've got floating docks, and although the doick I'm on is old, it's being replaced in the fall. So new floating docks, club house, gas grills on the deck and a perfect location! How much? $100 even per month!!!!

G

Gary Jensen

S.F. bay area

I have a 40 foot slip for my 380 in Alameda Ca. The docks are nice (wide concrete), free ice, great showers, clean restroom, friendly harbormaster office, great weather, safe area...Cost is $280 per month----WELL WORTH IT!!!!

R

Richard Webber

RE S.F. bay area

Gary, Sounds like Marina Village Yacht Harbor. I have a 32' slip for ma C30 and it's $224 per month. It is a great place - nice park areas for my children to run around too.

R

Ron Koenig

$800/ per year

I pay $800.00/yr plus $300 dues to a local yacht club. includes elect. and water. Also includes the use of the club house. Best place to have a slip on the Saginaw Bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.