Monoceros 37c continues

Apr 10, 2023
Hunter 37c Port of Madison
OK! When you start seeing other people's repairs on the hull, we're getting close. More sanding and stripping.
Now the nonsense of wiring in the bilge and to the mast. This coaxial (to masthead antenna for vhf radio) was ducttaped with a mystery wire bridging the connection. See stuff with wire nuts and general mess. Any way to fix this without going up the mast and pulling new wiring up through? I guess I'm going to have to get up there either way to replace the anchor light. Might replace with 3color masthead light?
Last picture is old transducer/depth finder. Should I replace with new similar style through-hull or remove and fiberglass the hole? And put a new depth sounder somewhere else?

I hope you folks don't mind I will likely continue to post more pictures and questions as I go. Living in Indiana there are not many people I can ask advice on a big sailboat project. Thank you!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
You can add text to the photos you post. After attaching the files, you will have an option to post thumbnails or the whole photo.

All the wiring on the boat needs replacing, especially the coax. There are several good sources for information on wiring, here on SBO at the Musings With MaineSail forum, at MarineHowTo.com and BoatHowTo.com. The Pacific Yacht Systems YouTube channel has a lot of good videos. There is a Boat Electrical group on Facebook on which there are a number of professionals. And of course here, on the SBO forums.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
All the wiring on the boat needs replacing, especially the coax.
Do you plan to remove all of the wire from the bilge ? It looks as if most of it has spent its life underwater which has resulted in the brown coating on the coax connector.

If I could also suggest, could you use a basic photo editor to label your photos as to what we are seeing. One of the editors I use is called Faststone Image Viewer 7.7, it's freeware and very simple to use.

1694815814425.png

Labelling this is limited only by how fast you can type. Looks like a big job in front to you and this site is a good source of "how to".

Apr 10, 2023
Labelling this is limited only by how fast you can type. Looks like a big job in front to you and this site is a good source of "how to".
thanks ralph, i will try to format my photos better for you in the future. I'm trying to do work on my boat, not try to figure out how best to format my images. This thread is a continuation of my previous post which would give context to the hull picture you inquire about.
Yes, the wiring is all bad and is being removed, asked for suggestions if there was alternative to wiring a vhf antenna to the mast, perhaps some better tech exists that would eliminate the need for wire.
Also, in the reference section of this site either the modifications page (which does not have comments) or the reference page which includes a whole list of expired links.
As I said, this is a continuation of my past post, if there is a better way to post my questions about my boat I would gladly direct my posts there.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
This thread is a continuation of my previous post which would give context to the hull picture you inquire about.
Unless there is a big change in the focus continuing on in the same thread is best. For example, if you want suggestions on rewiring, then start a new thread. If you are trying to develop a priority list then continue on with multiple topics.

Yes, the wiring is all bad and is being removed, asked for suggestions if there was alternative to wiring a vhf antenna to the mast, perhaps some better tech exists that would eliminate the need for wire.
The simple answer is no, VHF antennas are not wireless. There are however better and worse ways to wire a VHF antenna. Here's a link to the best description I know.

Also, in the reference section of this site either the modifications page (which does not have comments) or the reference page which includes a whole list of expired links.
To which section are you referring? Can you provide the broken link? I'm sure the powers-to-be would like to know.

Apr 10, 2023
1000001393.jpg
1000001393.jpgthanks dlockner. The "knowledge base" sticky post has all dead links.
It's a little hard to compartmentalize my posts as I have so many things going and so many questions. I will try to keep it simple and singular in my posts.
I'm super thankful for all the feedback here, there's always someone that knows more than I do!

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I'm trying to do work on my boat, not try to figure out how best to format my images.
Agreed. Formatting images will not get you far on a clear day with steady winds :cuss: .

Once again, looking at the top image I see what looks like you've exposed previous repairs which didn't work out too well. The only answer is to dig it out and repair with epoxy and light weight cloth. Epoxy sticks like :poop: to any and everything and is far stronger that any putty you can apply. Finish off with waxed gel coat.

Dave

Forum Admin, Gen II
Staff member
Feb 1, 2023
There seems to be an issue with part of the SBO website. That may be the cause of your issues accessing the resources.

Apr 10, 2023
Was this a “Free boat” ? :yikes:

Greg
Basically free. I had a couple "I will buy this boat if..." and the conditions were met. I am rebuilding a boat that many would have given up on but I see potential. Clean slate to build the boat that will serve my needs and not what other people may like or want.

Jul 27, 2022
Hunter Cutter 37 Philadelphia
Didn't see one key wiring thought above. The 37C wiring was not tinned on my boat. Any moisture crawled up the wire under the insulation ruining it. I ended up replacing all of the wiring to current standards. This is not that big of a job. I saw a similar rewire job done at a yard for under $3,000. I did the rewire by area of the boat.

I also cut into the area under the breaker panel and mounted wiring blocks, running all of the breakers down to the blocks. It is way easier and neater to deal with wiring under the chart table instead of working behind the breaker panel. This is especially true for multi connection breakers like "Cabin Lights" and "Running Lights".

One huge hassle is that the wiring for cabin lights can not be easily fished and replaced. The original wires are held in place somehow. I put in a string of led's at the junction of the teak and the ceiling fiber glass with a diffussing cover. I tried in the corner and out from the corner with both approaches having their pluses and minuses. It is easy to run additional wires in the diffusing cover to come out to puck lights to give a puddle of light. I like the hand wave on/off with a hand up and down for fading. The whole thing can wire into your phone to set up lighting groups like ("All On", "Night", "Cozy" etc). There is a Swiss YouTuber who goes into yacht cabin lighting. Another thought on lighting is the redo of "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly". There are 100's of YouTubes of their refurb of a 37C to look like a new boat. GBU lights are at the top of ceiling on either side and look good.