Mods to our 35s5

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
The teak slats in the cockpit were largely split, missing or separating. We took it all up and cleaned up the adhesive, then reinstalled a closed cell product - good nonskid and soft underfoot. Only downside so far is it seems to like to grab dirt, but does scrub clean.
Sole pieces removed:
IMG_0521.JPG

New product installed. "peel and stick"... and it surely does stick!
IMG_0881.JPG

Sep 24, 2021
Sailing in BC makes a dodger a necessity, pretty much. Our boat did come with a dodger but it was a serious mismatch, actually from a larger Jeanneau.
fullsizeoutput_4c53.jpeg

We cut down the too-wide frame and using clamshell fittings mounted it entirely on the handrails- no holes in the glass!
We’d had a hardtop dodger for a number of years so decided to go that way again. I templated the footprint and mounted the frame on the shop floor. Using two layers of 1/4 “ plywood, the top was formed directly on the frame. The edges were built up for a beefier look.
631E56D3-2183-4D36-8B18-7D8BFD759A06.jpeg

Once shaped and faired the entire top was epoxy sealed with amine-free Silvertip epoxy and then finally painted with a gel matching paint colour.

88AD1993-63AD-4D34-8A18-C031F2121A62.jpeg
With canvas makers booked up two years we did our own - we are on a waitlist for a pro job.
432FF728-E984-4E93-B119-D7DB7989F89A.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4c55.jpeg

Have to say that while it's perfectly functional I'm not totally pleased with the outcome, perhaps there is a do-over in the future. I think it's wider than it needs to be.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021
After having ripped out the old vinyl, we insulated the ceiling (inner hull) and planked it in red cedar.
IMG_0932.JPG

IMG_0933.JPG

I'm working on some trim pieces for the edges of the new hull lining in the main cabin. These are going on the bulkheads fore and aft at the ends of the new planked liner - which, btw, we decided to paint out white to avoid having too many different wood tones.

Well done. I didn't know that sapelle looked as good as that when finished.
These are the Sapelle trim bits, after a cherry stain and some Epiphanes, against a piece of the original Beneteau wood finish.. pretty close, I think.
fullsizeoutput_4c3b.jpeg

Sep 24, 2021
I've never really been a fan of the move from good old 'teak & holly' flooring to the more recent 'teak/whatever & black' that most builders have gone to. The cabin sole forward was in good shape, but the aft area below the companionway and outside the head door was not - beyond the ability to refinish.

So my favourite 'product of the month' (or maybe the year) is Lonseal Teak & Holly vinyl. There was no way to match the original material, so the lonseal product was epoxied to all the original sole plates (with the exception of one that was so bad I had to make a new one). Very happy with this result, it looks for all the world like the real thing (truth be told it probably costs similar in the end) but is impervious to water and will never need refinishing. We used this product 6 or 7 years ago on our son's boat, he races a lot, dumps wet sails below, has a generally wet bilge anyhow and the flooring looks like new still.... so we're optimistic.

One of the original sole plates re-covered, and edges routed clean.
IMG_0969D.JPG

The result:
IMG_0971.JPG

IMG_0972.JPG

Still to do: the same material on the companionway steps, and also for the aft-most area in front of the engine box

fullsizeoutput_4c41.jpeg

Perhaps somewhat blasphemous..... but I believe in using modern more sensible materials where it makes sense...

Sep 24, 2021
Companionway steps!

Clamped up
IMG_0983.JPG

... and the reveal

IMG_0984.JPG

btw, typically the area behind the steps (above the fiberglass engine box) is a wood finish. Someone must have left a hatch open for extended periods because all the wood in this area was water damaged, esp the top step. So we faired it some and painted it out white.

Sep 24, 2021
Gnarly weather here these past few days.. but work continues
A previous owner had removed the vinyl in forward and aft cabins, replacing it with carpet.
20210202_114425.jpg
Much better than the vinyl but getting old and musty. We pulled it all down, installed some ribs and closed cell insulation, then planked the ceilings instead.

I wanted to leave a ventilation gap between planks so painted everything out black so nothing would 'show' in the gaps.
IMG_1013.JPG

... and then started planking from the bottom up
IMG_1025.JPG

and 4 hours later...
IMG_1026D.JPG

IMG_1028.JPG

Now need to decide to play with stains to try to match existing wood tones, or simply varnish as is.... Ideas?? Opinions?

Last edited:

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Looks really nice, I would favor a light stain just to darken it a bit but still have it contrast with the teak - but that's me. Your boat is really shaping up.

Sep 24, 2021
Thanks again gents... Still more finishing to do here, the underdeck 'overhead', and trim pieces at the bulkheads. Plan to complete this area and learn a few things before tacking the aft cabin.
One of the things we're considering is expanding the hanging locker in the aft cabin, and certainly changing the lighting to get rid of the oversized cover that lives inside the already tight locker.
btw... I'd be interested to know if any other 35s5 owners are lurking here...:)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I like the light wood look. It lightens up the dark space of the V birth.

Some owners try to install prism lights in the fore deck. These are a leak hazard. The lighter wood creates a similar effect but with out the leak risk.

I have been examining the foam insulation. I am interested to see how it works for you as it is a project I’ve been thinking is desired on my boat.
  • Interested in results regarding stopping condensation?
  • Improved winter and summer temps in the VBerth?

Sep 24, 2021
I have been examining the foam insulation. I am interested to see how it works for you as it is a project I’ve been thinking is desired on my boat.
  • Interested in results regarding stopping condensation?
  • Improved winter and summer temps in the VBerth?
We'll see what the effects will be. Primary reason for doing this was to avoid condensation since the hull is not cored. I left the gaps between planks to better enable 'drying out' should it get wet for any reason.

We have decided to varnish the planks as is.

Sep 24, 2021
V Berth area followup.. final trim and overhead complete. Lots of 'fussy cutting' - quite surprised at how 'asymmetrical' the boat is when you get down to the details. Thankful our home and shop is only a 3 minute drive to the boat. Trim pieces mostly Sapelle again, with cherry stain.

IMG_1061D.JPG

fullsizeoutput_4c5d.jpeg

Last edited: