Mods to our 35s5

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
Thanks everyone!

One last niggling detail on the V berth... somehow the cushions were not made to match the underlying berth top, primarily the filler piece that was added at some point. The cushion was actually sitting on top of the fiddle...

IMG_1091D.JPG

Made up a bending jig in the shop, milled some Sapelle into 1/8" strips, and laminated them together into the required curve. (one can never have too many clamps!)

IMG_1068D.JPG

Then glued it onto the correct-shaped filler piece (old one on the right)
IMG_1070D.JPG

Once again a bit of Cherry stain and some varnish, and the result....
IMG_1076D.JPG

IMG_1092D.JPG

Sep 24, 2021
In a bit of a pre Christmas slowdown these days, but we keep chipping away at the details...

This was the (presumed) factory trim piece where the mast support tube meets the overhead.. It had had extra holes drilled, evidence of stripped screws, a toggle switch that served no purpose and was mostly held in place with a hose clamp....
fullsizeoutput_4c6d.jpeg

I used some more of my trusty Sapelle and now have something a bit more presentable...
IMG_1122D.JPG
The other round cover is in the hole left behind when we removed a bulkhead heater and installed forced air.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021
I'm Baaaack!! ;) Took a couple of months off over winter, did some wood turning crafts and things, and generally relaxed over Christmas and into the new year. A couple of projects for neighbours delayed things some more, but back at it for the last couple of weeks.

Next item on the to do list was the aft cabin. The Beneteau saggy vinyl headliners had been removed in the past and replaced with carpet, but it had seen its day. It looks a bit worse than it was because I had already attempted to remove some of it just to see how easy it might be...
IMG_1280.jpeg

Once the carpet was stripped out we had to remove the left behind 'fur' and some glue.. btw I was able to increase the 'shoulder room under the cockpit by trimming a couple of inches off that molding..
IMG_1288.JPG

Teak facing for the aft bulkhead and centerline divider...
IMG_1293.JPG

Overhead panels installation begun...

IMG_1292.JPG

Ribs glued to the hull sides for the new planked ceiling, similar to what we did in the V berth last fall...
IMG_1296D.JPG

These ribs were painted out black and black closed cell insulation added, and then planked.

IMG_1301.JPG

A few more trim bits to mill, shape and install, including the one I was most looking forward to - the trim ring for the round wee port.
IMG_1303.JPG

All Sapelle pieces, cherry stained and varnished
IMG_1313D.JPG

IMG_1318.JPG

And then, while varnish was drying, there was another nagging issue of abuse in the cockpit (next post)

Sep 24, 2021
If you recall the plotter had been mounted on a coaming, also the small compartment below had been covered with a teak board holding the depth display. The original aluminum moulding was long gone.. AND a small gauge had been drilled into it as well.....(sigh)...
IMG_1309.JPG

I did some trimming with an oscillating tool and made up a starboard cover plate that also provided access to the little compartment
IMG_1310.JPG

Realize the boat's pretty dirty right now but we are not permitted to wash boats at our marina, water is limited. Will get on it as soon as we can get away to Chemainus for a night or two... Cheers!

Aug 25, 2023
Beneteau S35 Melbourne
Hello, fortuitously, I came across this site as I am starting out on a refit of my 35S5 and have a question regarding the build-out of the navigation seat area. I have an original stool, but I consider it an absolute waste of valuable space. Did you take your modification back to the hull, removing the partial locker? What are your thoughts on creating a top-access freezer in this space?

Sep 24, 2021
Hello, fortuitously, I came across this site as I am starting out on a refit of my 35S5 and have a question regarding the build-out of the navigation seat area. I have an original stool, but I consider it an absolute waste of valuable space. Did you take your modification back to the hull, removing the partial locker? What are your thoughts on creating a top-access freezer in this space?
The “floor” of the stand-up nav station does go to the hull and is supported by the top edge of the original partial locker. I cut an access port into the face of that locker to regain access to that space.
I see no reason why one could not remove the partial locker to create a deeper space for a freezer. Perhaps Engel makes a unit that would fit?
Good luck with your project.. post pics!

Sep 24, 2021
Here’s a picture of the underside of our added nav desk, with the cutout in the face of the original “locker”.
IMG_2480.jpeg