Modern Design Anchors

Jan 13, 2021
Catalina 315 75 San Diego
We are researching anchors for our new Catalina 315. We had a Delta on our Catalina 36 but never anchored out in San Diego Bay, our home port.
We hope to anchor out on weekends with our new boat. The anchorages are protected, good holding and about 20 feet deep.
We know it all comes down to personal preference but hearing feedback is very helpful.
Does anyone carry one of the new designs: Rocna, Spade, Sarca Excel, Mantus M2, Ultra Rocna Vulcan - there are many. We are not keen on the roll bar design and we read on the Catalina 36 owners forum that the Spade will not clear the furler without modifications.
Looking for feedback specifically for our 310 and 315s.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
We have a Rocna on our 310. It works great on our lake bottom of mud, clay and weeds. Our boat came with it, the first owner used it a lot for anchoring in KY Lake for week long vacations and it provided the peace of mind they wanted and we have benefited.

Jan 13, 2021
We have a Rocna on our 310. It works great on our lake bottom of mud, clay and weeds. Our boat came with it, the first owner used it a lot for anchoring in KY Lake for week long vacations and it provided the peace of mind they wanted and we have benefited.
Thanks. Rocna recommends a #10, 22 lbs., 1/4" chain for the weight and length of the 315. Do you think that is what you have?

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
up here on the lakes: clay, mud sand, i have used a 35 lbs danforth for 47 seasons. never been let down. not once. many,many hundreds of nights on the hook.
stows flat on rack on cabin top.
going with the "DON'T FIX WHAT AIN'T BROKE" concept.

use a baby danforth for the 'lunch hook'.
never use chain up here, no coral

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
1. We know it all comes down to personal preference but hearing feedback is very helpful.

2. Does anyone carry one of the new designs
1. Personal preference? Are you kidding? Seriously, are you?

2. Of course we do.

The roll bar hits the furler because the furler is too close to the deck. Many of us purchased long link plates to raise the furling drum.

These links could help you undertsand the answeers to your questions. Good luck.

Anchoring 101 Anchors & TEST Results of New Generation Anchors EXCELLENT & Important

Anchor Selection 101 includes good discussions of various system selections and pictures of new generation anchors on bowsprits both short and extended Roll bar anchors on bow roller Rocna Flix

Why NEW GEN Anchors are Better:

Anchors & TEST Results of New Generation Anchors EXCELLENT & Important

Anchor System Sizing Tables (Reply #6) & Swivels Ground Tackle & Anchor System Sizing TABLES & Swivels

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I have upgraded from the Delta to the Manson Supreme. The Delta was good in hard bottoms, but not so good in the soft stuff. The Manson sets very quickly and, so far, has held very well and reset quickly in all bottoms. The only mod I had to make on the bow roller was to lengthen the bail with a couple of tangs to accommodate the thicker shank of the Manson.

Jan 13, 2021
1. Personal preference? Are you kidding? Seriously, are you?

2. Of course we do.

The roll bar hits the furler because the furler is too close to the deck. Many of us purchased long link plates to raise the furling drum.

These links could help you undertsand the answeers to your questions. Good luck.

Anchoring 101 Anchors & TEST Results of New Generation Anchors EXCELLENT & Important

Anchor Selection 101 includes good discussions of various system selections and pictures of new generation anchors on bowsprits both short and extended Roll bar anchors on bow roller Rocna Flix

Why NEW GEN Anchors are Better:

Anchors & TEST Results of New Generation Anchors EXCELLENT & Important

Anchor System Sizing Tables (Reply #6) & Swivels Ground Tackle & Anchor System Sizing TABLES & Swivels
Thanks for the links to the Catalina 34 owners forum. Great information.

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
We have a 35 lb mantus and 100 ft of 5/16" chain on our 310. Love the mantus because it sets and holds every time.. Helps having the large chain...we sleep very well. Currently cruising in FL and anchor out regularly. Don't forget a bridle or snubber which is an entirely different topic.

Jan 13, 2021
We have a 35 lb mantus and 100 ft of 5/16" chain on our 310. Love the mantus because it sets and holds every time.. Helps having the large chain...we sleep very well. Currently cruising in FL and anchor out regularly. Don't forget a bridle or snubber which is an entirely different topic.
Thanks for the including how much chain you carry and the snubber reminder.

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
I bought a Mantus after watching all of those videos and reading the reviews. I haven't tried it yet so I can't comment on performance and I haven't tried it on the bow for fit. One feature I like is that it disassembles for storage. If it fits I'll leave it on the bow otherwise store it and use it for overnights and raft-ups. Mantus also sells an anchor guard that helps to store it further off the bow so it won't interfere with your furler.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Check out this message posted today.

I have a Mantus 35lb with chain and rode. It works well up here in our waters.

The above thread will give you a link to the guy I think posts the best reporting on anchors I have seen. On this his 100th video he states all of the anchor names and provides you the rationale he has observed in his testing. New the end he gives you a viewable spreadsheet of his test results.

I suggest you consider an anchor system based on the type of bottoms in the cruising area you sail. Not all anchors work best in all anchorage bottoms.

Good luck.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
I agree with jssailem that anchor type is based on location but what we have found is that 100 feet of chain will let you sleep at night. We will let out a minimum of 125 - 150 feet even in 20 feet of water so we don't need to bridle just tie off. We have 10 feet of tide so it may look like its over kill but add 10 feet your now 4-5 to 1 ratio.

• Helpful
Jan 13, 2021
Check out this message posted today.

I have a Mantus 35lb with chain and rode. It works well up here in our waters.

The above thread will give you a link to the guy I think posts the best reporting on anchors I have seen. On this his 100th video he states all of the anchor names and provides you the rationale he has observed in his testing. New the end he gives you a viewable spreadsheet of his test results.

I suggest you consider an anchor system based on the type of bottoms in the cruising area you sail. Not all anchors work best in all anchorage bottoms.

Good luck.
Fantastic video!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Thanks for the including how much chain you carry and the snubber reminder.
Good points.

Here's another take on bridles and snubbers:

Steve’s Anchoring 101

The Rocna. All 20kg of it with 100ft of chain. The rest of the world can debate all they like. When I pull into a place like Bodega Bay at midnight and the fog is so thick I can't see the jetty 50 feet away to make an entrance, I drop my hook in the rolling ocean swells with the surf crashing (Foster says it's like staying in a cheap Best Western beside the highway), and I sleep. And in the morning I have a windlass to pull the beast up and I wouldn't trade it for anything. (I also wouldn't add more chain - this works perfectly in 25 to 30 feet of water - you let all the chain out and you tie off nylon at the preferred scope and don't bother with snubbers and chain hooks and all that stuff...)

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks. Rocna recommends a #10, 22 lbs., 1/4" chain for the weight and length of the 315. Do you think that is what you have?
I'm not sure, I can check this weekend. My chain isn't much but works for our use. I would have much more chain if I was on coast.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Watch the S/V Panope videos on YouTube. :thumbup:
All the new gen anchors are better than the old, and they are very good. Since you mentioned you prefer not to have a hoop I'd suggest you look at the Rocna Vulcan model.

For reference, I have a 35# Manson Supreme and a 45# Rocna original (original version manufactured in Canada under license, before Canada Metals bought the brand). Pound for pound they are about the same performance, but the Manson might be a bit better at penetrating. The Manson hoop and shank are both higher and more likely to interfere with sprits or roller retention bolts.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
We have Mantus anchors on both our boats (45# on our Catalina 350). Great anchors. On the Catalina, I have 120' of chain with another couple hundred feet of nylon 8 brait spliced on. Check out the newer style Mantus hook if you want to make your own bridle. I just spliced my bridle lines onto one of those and have been happy with the setup. Mantus also sells their own bridle for a lot more than I made mine for. On the smaller boat, I just use a single snubber line and a rolling hitch to secure it to the chain.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I'm not sure, I can check this weekend. My chain isn't much but works for out use. I would have much more chain if I was on coast.