MOB procedures....

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
I know this topic has been discussed a lot, but I'd like to know how each of us would handle a MOB situation, if:
1. You had crew;
2. You did not have crew; and
3. If you were sailing solo and went into the drink.

FYI, I sail solo a lot and see a lot of other solo sailors. Most of the time, I see them sailing with what appears to be an up and locked boarding ladder -- or no apparent ladder at all. I often wonder how they would get back aboard if they fell or were knocked overboard. Stuff happens.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
If you have crew, there is about a 1000 different ways I would handle this, depending on boat speed, wind angle, sea state, water temp, day/night, crew competency and state of the MOB. Its kinda asking how a chess game will play out - it depends.

Going over solo depends on you getting back to the boat. If you have a RC for your autopilot you have a chance if the boat is moving. Otherwise your goner if alone in open water. If it's still you need to have a ladder you can deploy from the water, or an emergency ladder built into the transom.

Nov 8, 2010
If your swim ladder cannot be rigged to be reliably opened from the water from its normally closed state, mount of of these in your transom. Cheap insurance.
swim.jpg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
With crew: do everything you can to keep eyes on the MOB. The rest will depend and probably be an exercise in improvisation.

Solo: planning, prep and practice. Remove controlled auto pilot? Who has those? A drag line, maybe connected to the tiller, hold it loose with a bungee until you grab it. And/or the sheet clamp. That rope ladder Jackdaw showed looks excellent.
Lights are great on both boat and MOB. You don't need to deploy the ladder before you go over if you can rig a rip cord off the transom or side.
Practice.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
Nov 8, 2010
I've used this method 3 times over the years to pick up a fallen sailor.

And, if practiced beforehand, can be rather easy if & when needed.
Two rescues were over 25 miles from shore & one at night.
Make sure you ALSO have ample lighting.

You be the judge. Myself, I've never lost anyone thus far.........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_overboard_rescue_turn
WOW you were lucky you could look up wikipeda that that happened. My MOBs always seem to be out of cell phone coverage! ;^)

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
I have a light cord from the ladder bottom (top when stowed) to the hand rail just above the waterline. Pull the cord and the ladder comes down and watch your head. On the topic of going overboard while sailing solo......don't do that to the max extent possible ;-). If you are above deck then tether in. absolutely tether in when going forward, no exceptions.
also there is no guarantee that you will be conscious when you hit the water so having the presence of mind to grab that knotted rope is not really going to be possible. the only viable solution (other than not going overboard in the first place) is a remote control. If you solo you use the AP. It might be able to stop the boat IF it knows you are overboard....= tether into the AP.... if you are going to do that then might as well just secure yourself to the boat! If the remote control requires you to press a button (while unconscious....) it is not the one you want.
Also, a 100' tether is not what I'm talking about. Short and many anchor points and yes it is a pain and no I don't do it in fair weather (except when going forward) and yes that is taking a risk but not a big one. Being towed without a PFD face down at 5 knots will make you unconscious eventually and pulling yourself back to the boat is MUCH HARDER than you would think when you get above 4 knots.

Nov 8, 2010
If you solo you use the AP. It might be able to stop the boat IF it knows you are overboard....
The NKE unit actively stays in contact with the base controller. If it goes out of range in solo mode, it turns and holds the boat head to wind.

Nov 8, 2010
If you are above deck then tether in. absolutely tether in when going forward, no exceptions.
While this is great in theory while cruising, often while racing solo, Spinnaker gear requires nimbleness that often precludes the use of tethers. Just like this lady who is relying on her NKE auto pilot just in case she ever falls off. Remote around her neck.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Stuff happens.
Yes it does. Jackdaws video of Kristin in an open boat and handling a spinnaker gybe is not how I sail.
My first plan is not to fall over board.
  1. To that aim I use JackLines. There are a number of theories about how and what to do.
  • In my exploration for sound information about this safety subject, I discovered John and Phyllis who write the blog Attainable Adventure Cruising. They have spent several years exploring the idea of JackLines on a boat. Here is a link to one of their free reports on the subject. https://www.morganscloud.com/2016/11/11/banishing-sidedeck-jacklines-forever/
  • After testing lines that run up the sides of my boat and then stringing a line down the center, I decided to use a center line, which I do religiously while cruising solo. I prefer the center line approach and set it up, by running a line from the cockpit to the mast. I currently have it tied off to the base of my binnacle guard. The guard is thru bolted beneath the deck with three large bolts. From the cockpit the JackLine runs to the mast and is tied securely there. I then run a JackLine from the mast to a bow cleat. Positioning 2 tethers, one in the cockpit that I clip onto when exiting the companion way. It allows me total access in the cockpit. The second tether is at the mast on the bow side. I clip it on and then release the aft tether when I have to work at the bow. Going back to the cockpit I reverse the process. Always CLIP ON then RELEASE.
This system works well. The line is centered on the boat so even when leaning back I am inside the life lines for all areas except right at the bow. There I add a third tether with a short length to keep me on the boat in rough conditions.

6 months out of the year I wear a dry suit.

I know that the stylish look of Kristin, but it is designed to keep me dry for a while should I fall off the boat.

The last resort is the PFD that is always worn and the portable/floatable vhf radio with DSC feature.
I may not survive but at least I have given myself a fighting chance and there is a possibility they will find the boat/body making the payout of the insurance policy.

You guys hear a story about a woman getting a big insurance settlement when her husband's body is discovered at sea call the local prosecutor. No reason this should be easy.

Nov 8, 2010
Exactly. The french have figured out for boats where you CAN jibe a pole, its more efficient sailing very deep in the trades. As the boat gets bigger (40+ feet) you have to go asym.

Nov 8, 2010
Yes it does. Jackdaws video of Kristin in an open boat and handling a spinnaker gybe is not how I sail.
My first plan is not to fall over board.
  1. To that aim I use JackLines. There are a number of theories about how and what to do.
  • In my exploration for sound information about this safety subject, I discovered John and Phyllis who write the blog Attainable Adventure Cruising. They have spent several years exploring the idea of JackLines on a boat. Here is a link to one of their free reports on the subject. https://www.morganscloud.com/2016/11/11/banishing-sidedeck-jacklines-forever/
  • After testing lines that run up the sides of my boat and then stringing a line down the center, I decided to use a center line, which I do religiously while cruising solo. I prefer the center line approach and set it up, by running a line from the cockpit to the mast. I currently have it tied off to the base of my binnacle guard. The guard is thru bolted beneath the deck with three large bolts. From the cockpit the JackLine runs to the mast and is tied securely there. I then run a JackLine from the mast to a bow cleat. Positioning 2 tethers, one in the cockpit that I clip onto when exiting the companion way. It allows me total access in the cockpit. The second tether is at the mast on the bow side. I clip it on and then release the aft tether when I have to work at the bow. Going back to the cockpit I reverse the process. Always CLIP ON then RELEASE.
This system works well. The line is centered on the boat so even when leaning back I am inside the life lines for all areas except right at the bow. There I add a third tether with a short length to keep me on the boat in rough conditions.

6 months out of the year I wear a dry suit.

I know that the stylish look of Kristin, but it is designed to keep me dry for a while should I fall off the boat.

The last resort is the PFD that is always worn and the portable/floatable vhf radio with DSC feature.
I may not survive but at least I have given myself a fighting chance and there is a possibility they will find the boat/body making the payout of the insurance policy.

You guys hear a story about a woman getting a big insurance settlement when her husband's body is discovered at sea call the local prosecutor. No reason this should be easy.
John,
Your points are well made and reasoned. My purpose for posting that was to show the wide range of sailing conditions and styles, and that the best PERSONAL plan for anyone takes the 'personal' into the plan. Everyone is different. Understand your individual capabilities and limits, and appetite for risk. Then create your plan. That's what you did and it makes sense for you. That's the goal. I personally would go crazy having to clip in every time I left the cockpit. Maybe in a few years I'll feel differently.

Oct 22, 2014
Stay young it is easier. :laugh:...
It is also the conditions of where you sail. If I point my boat in the correct direction then leap over the side. Japan is the next stop. :yikes:.
You have the pesky Power boat wakes. We have the ebb tide tidal rips. So creating a plan that fits your situation is a very good place to start.

I did think that Kristin did an excellent job. Even able to manhandle the pole on to the mast while the sail appears to be drawing full. Oh there were days that I would have tried that technique. But likely not with her style. I especially liked the twin winch handle trimming she did near the end.

Nov 8, 2010
S
You have the pesky Power boat wakes. We have the ebb tide tidal rips. So creating a plan that fits your situation is a very good place to start.
Hang on. I sail like this in Lake Superior, the Med, the Atlantic, and the Pacific. Lake Minnetonka is simply were the boat 5 minutes from my house is.

You don't have to defend your style by diminishing mine.

Oct 22, 2014
Oh my apologies. I in no way intended to diminish yours sailing. Clearly you are a very accomplished sailor. Please take no offense at my statements. It was written in affirmation of your comments.

We had the last discussion about wakes and I was only connecting the reference to a similar event that I face. In fact that you can sail in such fun waters 5 minutes from your home is terrific. There is no Lake Minnetonka or water like it within 5 minutes of my home, for that matter within 55 minutes.

Nov 8, 2010
Oh my apologies. I in no way intended to diminish yours sailing. Clearly you are a very accomplished sailor. Please take no offense at my statements. It was written in affirmation of your comments.

We had the last discussion about wakes and I was only connecting the reference to a similar event that I face. In fact that you can sail in such fun waters 5 minutes from your home is terrific. There is no Lake Minnetonka or water like it within 5 minutes of my home, for that matter within 55 minutes.
I get that and you're of course right. you have to make sure your plan fits conditions. The Pogo I sail on in the Med has a full NKE system and the boat stops if you fall off. On Lake Superior we use a Raymarine AP with a madman remote system and you gotta be good with the buttons. On Minnetonka same thing, but if I cannot catch the boat the difference is I call the water patrol on my iPhone.