MMSI Distress Call

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
So, private calls, yes.
I think we need to get our definitions straight. DSC "private call" is operationally like the old fashioned mobile telephone service from the 60s and 70s. Your radio sends a digital signal over the air and is received by all DSC equipped radios in range. Before you send the DSC call you must manually select a voice channel you want to talk on. When you send the call it goes out on the DSC channel (I believe 70 and/or 71). All radios will decode the signal and decides if it is their MMSI. The radio with the target MMSI will ring and automatically switch to the voice channel selected by the sender. The conversation may now begin. This conversation occurs on a OPEN voice channel that any VHF can hear if it that channel is selected. The conversation is NOT private. The advanatage of DSC is you can avoid hailing the target vessel on 16 and take the conversation directly to a working channel. The digital transactions occur on a different channel than the voice conversation. Private call- YES. Private conversation-NO. Hope that helps.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
It's not that we users who eschew DSC for private calling don't understand this. It's that many DSC radios have awful user interfaces. I have an Icom IC-M501. It is just the klunkiest, most irksome thing to use. Compared to a smart phone, it's like banging two rocks together. In addition, I can ALWAYS reach my buddies around here via cell phone, via VHF - not so much.
Agreed, the VHF UIs of today are like the cell phones of the late 90. Clunky. But after you get used to them, you can motor around pretty fast. The Mystic was better in this regard, if only because there was more screen real estate to take advantage of.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Thanks for that Bawlmer, been a while since I put myself to sleep reading the DSC radio manual and I had forgotten why I really didn't care to fuss with the technology.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I think we need to get our definitions straight. DSC "private call" is operationally like the old fashioned mobile telephone service from the 60s and 70s. Your radio sends a digital signal over the air and is received by all DSC equipped radios in range. Before you send the DSC call you must manually select a voice channel you want to talk on. When you send the call it goes out on the DSC channel (I believe 70 and/or 71). All radios will decode the signal and decides if it is their MMSI. The radio with the target MMSI will ring and automatically switch to the voice channel selected by the sender. The conversation may now begin. This conversation occurs on a OPEN voice channel that any VHF can hear if it that channel is selected. The conversation is NOT private. The advanatage of DSC is you can avoid hailing the target vessel on 16 and take the conversation directly to a working channel. The digital transactions occur on a different channel than the voice conversation. Private call- YES. Private conversation-NO. Hope that helps.
Yea, what I meant was selective calling, I'm aware that it's not private; unless, of course, your radios are equipped with scramblers (common among the fishing fleet).

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Perhaps it is because I currently just have a hand held, but radio chatter seems to be light to non-existent on 16 and I never hear anything on 9. I hear primarily calls about groundings in the inlet.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
That's pretty much how it works.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
And while I remember I want to thank everyone on the thread for making me read the manual and actually understand how it works. When I first bought this VHF in 2014 I glossed over the DSC portion of the manual and thought "later".

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I think hailing channels are regionally different. Around here, in Massachusetts, from the Rhode Island Sound to Buzzards Bay, Vineyard Sound, Nantucket Sound, channel 9 is commonly used for hailing, among recreational vessels. I often take it off my scan because folks will shout out at 25 Watts talking to a dock master they can see. Ports have their own operating frequencies and often don't monitor others, like Cuttyhunk on 10, Edgartown on 74 (I think), and so on. I always monitor 16 and 13 while underway, and add the local channel as I approach a port.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
The conversation is NOT private. Private call- YES. Private conversation-NO. Hope that helps.
Thanks for clarifying that important point. The outgoing call on dsc is selective/ "private"; however, the conversation can be heard by anyone monitoring the channel on which the conversation is occurring.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Funny story about my DSC test experience.......
I acquired a mmsi number through the Boats US service and finally ran the wiring to connect my older model Icom VHF to my chart plotter/external gps antenna. There is a test protocol to ensure that the dsc feature is functioning. So, I followed the procedure exactly and was waiting for confirmation that the test was successful. A few minutes later, my wife called on my cell and explained that the Coast Guard called and was attempting to confirm that I was onboard and possibly having an emergency. My wife knew that I was simply going to the boat to do a few chores and that I was not going sailing. She provided the Coast Guard with the information and they requested that she relay a message to me to call petty officer ---- at a given phone number, to verify that everything was OK. I thought that I would get reprimanded for sending a false alarm; however, the Coast Guard rep was really nice about it after I explained what had happened. He told me that a bridge tender on a bridge a couple of miles away picked up the signal and relayed it to them. Still haven't figured out exactly what happened; however, I know that the system worked. BTW, I haven't attempted to run the test protocol again.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
You are mistaken to beleive that turning off the radio relieves you of the responsibility to monitor. First, it's dumb to not monitor! It could save your life, or enable you to save someone else's life; it could aid you in avoiding hazards to navigation, and hazardous local weather events; and, it will advise you as to restricted areas, and so on. But more to the point, you are required, by law, to monitor the radio if the vessel is equipped with a radio, when it's not in use for communication.
From FCC 47 CFR §§ 80.148, 80.310:

"
§ 80.310 Watch required by voluntary
vessels.
Voluntary vessels not equipped with
DSC must maintain a watch on 2182
kHz and on 156.800 MHz (Channel 16)
whenever the vessel is underway and
the radio is not being used to communicate.
Noncommercial vessels, such as
recreational boats, may alternatively
maintain a watch on 156.450 MHz
(Channel 9) in lieu of VHF Channel 16
for call and reply purposes. Voluntary
vessels equipped with VHF-DSC equipment
must maintain a watch on 2182
kHz and on either 156.525 MHz (Channel
70) or VHF Channel 16 aurally whenever
the vessel is underway and the
radio is not being used to communicate.
Voluntary vessels equipped
with MF-HF DSC equipment must have
the radio turned on and set to an appropriate
DSC distress calling channel
or one of the radiotelephone distress
channels whenever the vessel is underway
and the radio is not being used to
communicate. Voluntary vessels
equipped with Inmarsat A, B, C, M or
Fleet F77 systems must have the unit
turned on and set to receive calls
the radio is not being used to communicate."
You are mistaken to beleive that turning off the radio relieves you of the responsibility to monitor. First, it's dumb to not monitor! It could save your life, or enable you to save someone else's life; it could aid you in avoiding hazards to navigation, and hazardous local weather events; and, it will advise you as to restricted areas, and so on. But more to the point, you are required, by law, to monitor the radio if the vessel is equipped with a radio, when it's not in use for communication.
From FCC 47 CFR §§ 80.148, 80.310:

"
§ 80.310 Watch required by voluntary
vessels.
Voluntary vessels not equipped with
DSC must maintain a watch on 2182
kHz and on 156.800 MHz (Channel 16)
the radio is not being used to communicate.
Noncommercial vessels, such as
recreational boats, may alternatively
maintain a watch on 156.450 MHz
(Channel 9) in lieu of VHF Channel 16
for call and reply purposes. Voluntary
vessels equipped with VHF-DSC equipment
must maintain a watch on 2182
kHz and on either 156.525 MHz (Channel
70) or VHF Channel 16 aurally whenever
the vessel is underway and the
radio is not being used to communicate.
Voluntary vessels equipped
with MF-HF DSC equipment must have
the radio turned on and set to an appropriate
DSC distress calling channel
or one of the radiotelephone distress
channels whenever the vessel is underway
and the radio is not being used to
communicate. Voluntary vessels
equipped with Inmarsat A, B, C, M or
Fleet F77 systems must have the unit
turned on and set to receive calls
the radio is not being used to communicate."
You're not my supervisor!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
You're not my supervisor!
You are correct! I'm just letting you know that I think turning off the VHF while underway is both foolish and illegal. Do what you want, though, I don't care.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
He told me that a bridge tender on a bridge a couple of miles away picked up the signal and relayed it to them. Still haven't figured out exactly what happened
That is exactly my fear, stuff starts beeping/flashing and the next thing you know the area CG watch commander in on the horn wanting an explanation! And I got nothing, have no idea Sir. :redface:

Must have been the dog. The dog is always doing awful stupid things.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The conversation is NOT private. The advantage of DSC is you can avoid hailing the target vessel on 16 and take the conversation directly to a working channel. The digital transactions occur on a different channel than the voice conversation. Private call- YES. Private conversation-NO. Hope that helps.
There's a certain degree of privacy in the fact that the folks having the conversation might not be, probably would not be, known to accidental listeners since those users would not have hailed/acknowledged on Ch 16. If I ring up a boat on Ch 10 via the DSC function and some other guy happens to hear us on Ch 10 he will not know who he is listening to unless one of us says at the end: "This is **** returning to 16." Not quite the privacy of a cell phone, of course, but what are you saying out there on a 3 to 4 min exchange that's so personal you need the privacy of a phone call? Aren't we now in the "let it all hang out world of FaceBook and Twitter?"

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Be careful about using info posted here until you double check the DSC procedures yourself. Chief

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Wow if that is true... It would be just like the party lines of years ago...

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
jssailem: You have just got to be older than dirt!:p I can remember my great Aunt running the switchboard! DSC is a good beginning concept but I expect much more soon. Chief

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
When I was planning to buy a handheld with DSC I came across this article with I copied to my notes program. i don't remember exactly where I found it on line but it looks like it came from Boat US.

"Courtesy of BoatUS:

To Test Your DSC System
To run a test call the nationwide Coast Guard MMSI number, 003669999. Enter this number into your radio’s calling memory and select the “Test Call” option from the radio’s list of individual DSC calls, you can then press the “call” or “enter” key. Your radio will silently hail the Coast Guard with a digital signal on channel 70. If everything is working properly, your radio will almost immediately receive the Coast Guard’s acknowledgement of your call, providing assurance that both your radio and the Rescue 21 system are operating properly. You must be boating in an area served by Rescue 21 to use this test. Alternatively you may also use the DSC function to privately hail another boater’s MMSI number so that they can verify what MMSI came up on their ID. The DSC functions do not work at all until an MMSI number is entered into your VHF radio. If connected to a GPS, the signal will also provide your exact coordinates. TowBoatUS Captains with DSC radios will do a radio check with you if requested.
Using the DSC System
IF YOU HEAR A DSC DISTRESS CALL. Shut the radio alarm off by pressing
any button on your radio. Write down the MMSI and position information showing
on your radio display screen. Wait 3-5 minutes for an authority to answer the call.
If no other station replies attempt to verbally relay the MMSI and position
information to USCG. Contact the station in distress if no one else does and go to
their rescue, if you are able to do so.
IF YOU ACCIDENTALLY MAKE A DSC DISTRESS CALL. Shut the call off.
Get on the VHF Distress, Safety and Calling Frequency (VHF Ch-16) or SSB
Safety and Hailing Frequency (4125 kHz, USB) and make an all stations
announcement to cancel the DSC Distress Call. "

It is my understanding that the DSC Alarm will continue until an authority (USCG) or another boater acknowledges the DCS call. Then my radio will switch to Ch 16 for voice communication for additional information.
Based on the above it is probably not a good idea to acknowledge a DSC Call unless it continues without the USCG acknowledging it. Press any key to silent the alarm.
It sounds like if you acknowledge the alarm you are taking the responsibility of communicating with the vessel in distress and either will respond to assist and/or will relay with the proper authority.

On our boat the Admiral knows to Push To Talk on a hand held but that is about it. If she managed to get the USCG I can hear it going like this:
Admiral "Help, my husband fell in the water"
USCG " What is your location?"
Admiral "We are in the Barnegat Bay"
USCG " Can you give us a more precise location please?"
Admiral "Well, I can see the lighthouse"
USCG " Can you give us a description of your boat"
Admiral "We are in a white sailboat with white sails"

So I bought a handheld with DSC and GPS so all she really needs to know now is to press and hold the red button until the alarm sounds. When someone responds and talks to you, just PTT. The radio will be on the correct channel and they should have the GPS coordinates.

I agree with Scott, the radio chatter is not that bad on the BB. Some is stupid, some is annoying but not enough that I turn of the radio. A lot of radio check requests are referred to channel 27 for the automated check, which I do sometimes.
Waiting for an emergency before we turn the radio on, then having to wait until it gets the GPS coordinates, defeats the ease of use it provides in an emergency.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I hear CG advising all that radio checks should be done on Channel 9 every single time that I hear a radio check on 16.
Same in my area. A quick way to incur the wrath of the CG.

But no one ever answers my radio check on Channel 9 ☹

Greg

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
But no one ever answers my radio check on Channel 9
So try using 68 or some other working channel.

If the stupids don't know enough to not use 16, they're also dumb enough not to monitor 9 either. :)