Mix Axiom and C80?

Sep 10, 2024
Hunter 45DS Oxnard, CA
Hi all, I’m purchasing a 2008 Hunter 45DS, and discovered on survey that the C120 screen in the cockpit is going out. From an earlier post here, I found the right adapter to fit an Axiom Pro 12 in its place. However, I also discovered that the Axiom MFDs don’t support analog radar, and the C-series don’t support digital. I don’t know what radar unit is installed but I’m assuming it won’t work with Axiom. The boat has a second chart plotter (C80) at the nav station, which is configured as the “master”. There is already a SeaTalkNG backbone as well. My questions for the experts - assuming the existing radar runs to the C80, would it be possible to keep it set up that way and add the Axiom to the network? Would I need to configure the C80 to get its map data from the Axiom? I feel like I’m pulling a thread on my sweater…

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I am thinking that a bit over 3 BOAT Bucks should take care of the problem. Perhaps renegotiate the purchase price, based on survey, to reduce the cost of the new electronics. The inexpensive route would be to purchase a used C120 & swap out the malfunctioning C120. At some point in the future, you will have to replace the entire system.

Feb 15, 2008
Hunter 49 Sydney
Yea Axiom and C or E series wont share cryptography. As above cheapest solution would be replacing the C series. Also as you suspect Radar on C & E series is Analog Axiom is digital. No easy way to make the transition Most of the rest is compatible and can be retained

Jun 17, 2022
Hunter 380 Comox BC
I'm afraid the only way to make it work and keep everything networked is 2x new screens, 1x new radar and a new ethernet network. Probably 5-6 grand plus a few days to install.

Feb 15, 2008
Hunter 49 Sydney
As a sort of transition and but not exactly a great fully functional solution, you could put the Axiom outside with its own charts and leave the C80 at the nav-station and move the radar to the C80 Most people don't use the radar a lot. I suspect but have never done it , that C series and Axiom could look at the same seatalk devices on the same network. This would give you fully functional Axiom outside, less Radar with its own cryptography and a fully functional C80 downstairs with its own cryptography & Radar, or there are places in the US that will fix the C120 screen

Sep 10, 2024
Hunter 45DS Oxnard, CA
Thanks all! I’m leaning toward buying a used C120 to replace the non-op one and kicking the upgrade can down the road for now. Can do that for half a BOAT dollar.

Sep 10, 2024
Hunter 45DS Oxnard, CA
In this scenario, it would be the only one that the radar works with. For the future system, I doubt that I’ll add another MFD at the nav station, but rather configure an iPad to repeat the cockpit MFD (and/or run Navionics). Or possibly fit a computer monitor there that can serve as screen repeater and be used as a PC screen.