Midship toe rail chock for Hunter 40.5, 42, 43, coming soon... save some $$

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Just wanted to give you guys a heads-up that Al has recreated one of the most problematic deck parts on some of Hunter's most popular boats.

The original toe rail chock...

Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 7.37.56 PM.png

...which was subject to all kinds of damage. Breakage (left), broken pins or rollers (right) and more. Because the part was aluminum it was very difficult to replace without unrealistically large quantities or a ridiculously high price tag.

Somehow, Al found a shop that can make these from billet aluminum at a fair price. Billet means it's machined from a solid block of material -- not cast -- which will give the new part much more strength and durability.

It will be anodized so it looks good longer.

It's also been slightly redesigned to give it greater lateral strength, but will be a plug and play replacement.

And, pins and rollers will be available as replacement parts. Here's a sneak peek:

chock-main.jpg

chock-rail.jpg

These are due to arrive at our warehouse August 1st. If you pre-order by July 24, Al will knock $35 off the price. No money will be charged to your card until the part ships (although we do have to authorize the charge against your card).

This is going to be a gorgeous machined part that HunterOwners will stock for next-day shipment.

Details and pre-order here

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Phil, just wondering how this very nice looking chock would be needed on my 42 where the cleats are also mounted on the toe rail? Make sense if the cleat is mounted in board.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
It could certainly be used for that. I don't remember the toe rail configuration in front of those cleats but I assume it would require some modification of the rail.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
just wondering how this very nice looking chock would be needed on my 42 where the cleats are also mounted on the toe rail? Make sense if the cleat is mounted in board.
Sorry @Terry Cox, I misread your post! I don't think this part would be needed if your cleats mounted on the toe rail, but that's not the stock configuration of the boat... unless Hunter was out of the part when your boat was built and used a 1-piece toe rail.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
No problem, Phil. Why Hunter built our sized boat without a mid ship cleat I'll never know. A one piece toe rail had the bow and stern rail vertical section cut out for those cleats. Can't imagine they made a cost choice to not add a mid ship cleat. Since I solo sail most all the time I needed something that would work short of a monkey drill each time docking. So I ordered two matching cleats from Hunter Marine and installed them mid ship, which made docking a breeze. That cleat is my go to last when leaving and first when landing. The installation went well and Hunter Marine said it was the strongest point of the deck here: Hunter 42 Owner Modifications and Upgrades

If the cleats were installed inboard from the toe rail, as I've seen on other 42s, I can see why the chocks would make for a nice add on. As handsome as the chocks look maybe I should order a couple and mount them in a frame to admire.

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
Is the toe rail on H40.5/42 the same height as on the H34? I've added midship cleats and thought of just cutting out the toe rail to make a slot. This would be a more elegant installation.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...When the finished part shows up we can post some photos of what that section of the profile looks like.
Out of obscuriosity, is there a toerail MFG MODEL # OR SOME WAY WE CAN TELL IF THAT will fit our B metal toe rails?

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 49 2 San Diego,Ca
Are these used on the 49?
I don’t think it has Aluminum toe rail, does anyone know why not?

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
No, the 49 uses a different type of hull to deck joint which uses something more like a fiberglass bulwark. I don't know why Hunter made the design change but I suspect the aluminum toe rail required two guys to install and the newer design only required one.