Mid ship cleats

Feb 16, 2015
hi has any one installed mid ship cleats on a Catalina 31 ?
Thinking about bolting to toe , kick rail ?
Or are the cleats on the tracks ok?
Useing them for spring lines in a marina berth
Any ideas ?

Cheers mat

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
hi has any one installed mid ship cleats on a Catalina 31 ?
Thinking about bolting to toe , kick rail ?
Or are the cleats on the tracks ok?
Useing them for spring lines in a marina berth
Any ideas ?

Cheers mat
I've been using track cleats for that. The lead isn't ideal, but it works.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Right. But not a very fair lead, that's the problem.
What is a fair lead for? I do not see a problem. I guess after using for 5 years, there is something I must have missed......they sure work good.
paulj
:hook2:

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Midship Breast line is the ONLY way to go, from CD, When we go into the dock the first line that gets attached is the breast line, next is port side stern line ( we dock port side), saves the day. we are able to sit just right in the dock and than finish tieing up I can leave the engine running and boat in gear without scrambling and falling overboard. A friend on his Catalina 30 uses his winch as a breast tie up point. We also use that as a spring point when we travel. It is moveable from port to starboard side and back again.

Nov 16, 2012
Looks like the track cleats are the way to go
Dos the spring rub on the fibreglass toe rail ?
Yes, that is the non-fair lead I mention. Not ideal, but there are few other options on the 310.

Oct 3, 2011
The pin on the cleat is a pull up, spring loaded and no it does not rub on anything.
You will appreciate this addition!

Nov 16, 2012
Midship Breast line is the ONLY way to go, from CD, When we go into the dock the first line that gets attached is the breast line, next is port side stern line ( we dock port side), saves the day. we are able to sit just right in the dock and than finish tieing up I can leave the engine running and boat in gear without scrambling and falling overboard. A friend on his Catalina 30 uses his winch as a breast tie up point. We also use that as a spring point when we travel. It is moveable from port to starboard side and back again.
I agree! Docking and de-docking (?) are almost trivial with a midship breast/spring line. In our youth, when we had a J-22, it didn't matter-the boat was so easy to manhandle. On the Sydney 38 I race on there are plenty of young strong crew to grab things. But now with two of us in our 60s we'd be in big trouble without it. Thanks to Stu and others who have posted great info on how to use it. Go ahead and buy two of them, both CD and Garhauer sell them.

Nov 16, 2012
The pin on the cleat is a pull up, spring loaded and no it does not rub on anything.
You will appreciate this addition!
Alan, I think he was asking about the spring line? Also, both the CD and Garhauer cleats use a screw to fix the cleat.

Oct 3, 2011
Ah yes, now I follow it. The spring line does chafe a little on the toe rail, in fact this coming season I will put some chafe guard on the spring line. Our cleat is a spring loaded pin that sets it in place but we move it from port to starboard depending where we are docking. At our marina we dock portside so there we leave it on the portside rail. Thanks for clarification!
The bottom line is that the cleat is the only way to go!

Nov 16, 2012
Ah yes, now I follow it. The spring line does chafe a little on the toe rail, in fact this coming season I will put some chafe guard on the spring line. Our cleat is a spring loaded pin that sets it in place but we move it from port to starboard depending where we are docking. At our marina we dock portside so there we leave it on the portside rail. Thanks for clarification!
The bottom line is that the cleat is the only way to go!
I've been looking at these as an option for the chafe issue. It would only work for a fixed line/dock cleat arrangement, but might stop the gelcoat from getting worn (I've been using fire hose as a chafe guard on my dock lines and it does abuse the gelcoat a bit).
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?53677

Oct 3, 2011

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I was thinking of using water line and slitting it up the middle and than using zip ties to hold it in place...BUT I found this from Defender:
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|2276155|2276160&id=808479
For $11.99 and no tax for a pair and if it does not work I will go with:
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|2276155|2276160&id=2089706
They are $13.99 for a pair! cheaper and easier than water line!
let me know what you think! :clap:
They both look waterproof. Permeable material that will allow water to pass through will help keep nylon lines from getting too hot when they stretch.

Oct 3, 2011
That's a good price on the mid-ship cleat!

Nov 16, 2012
Alan, it sounds like you are able to remove your cleats easily. I've got a stop at the aft end of the jib track that needs to be removed to slide the cleat off. Do you not have one, or are you able to slide it off the forward end?

Oct 3, 2011
We CAN remove our cleat to change sides, and it is easy- According to Eileen-as she does All the foredeck work, we do take the cleat off the foreward side because the stern end has the car. All it takes to mlove the car is lift a "PIN" so we have the ability t change sides.