Mi Amor restoration

Jan 24, 2017
Chrysler C26 Lake Sakakaweea
I figured it out it is a snap shackle block I have one, the other one was not with the boat. Trying to find one on eBay.

Jan 24, 2017
Splash down alert! Not really shoving off, just checking for leaks. I had all the rigging in place. Sail drive is attached. Just want to check for leaks before I hook up the motor as I will not be able to see after it is in place. Well until it is too late.

Jan 24, 2017
Well I got it in the water with no leaks. Found out the main sail was not the correct one the foot is too long and it is not tall enough. so I have to order a new main sail. The new electric motor works great!

Feb 3, 2017
Hunter 25.5 Lake Thurmond, South Carolina
I feel your pain. The person showing me this boat (the previous owner was deceased) said there was a set of new sails, but I found out better. It appears to have anew jib, which I have not pulled out of the bag and inspected yet, however it looks like someone swapped out the main. That figured into my decision to buy this one as I could see on initial inspection it needed a lot of work. I made a new lexan companionway door and put a new hasp and lock on. I may be looking at having to purchase a new main. Live and learn, even at my age.

Feb 3, 2017
I will try a refurbished one first; and then maybe a new one. Is this the price for a custom job or are you doing the sewing yourself?

Jan 24, 2017
That is from Sailrites sew myself, but I just got a quote from presision for less all ready to go.

Feb 3, 2017
If I had a HD Sewing Machine I might attempt it, but I don't and don't have all that money to put into one. You have to look around and you may stumble upon a deal and save a few or a bundle. Either way, I have to look around. If I can buy second hand I will pursue it. Some of these guys want crazy prices for second hand stuff though. Good luck with your sail shopping.

Jan 24, 2017
That is what I have found it is not worth it to get used. You only need an older sewing machine. Mine is a Brother Coronado I then bought a larger wheel from a very old Singer so it goes slower and has more power. I paid $5.00 for the sewing machine and $12.00 for the wheel. The thing is you can make more than just sails. I already made a sailbag and tiller cover. Plus I fixed one other sail that I bought from eBay.

Feb 3, 2017
You really must tell me how you did this. I have several very old sewing machines that probably have heavy duty parts because they were made around the 1940s/

Jan 24, 2017
I think it was a J3 or J5 singer. I can look when I get home. You also can switch to a DC motor which has 5 times the power. Almost all wheels are the same.

Jan 24, 2017
You really must tell me how you did this. I have several very old sewing machines that probably have heavy duty parts because they were made around the 1940s/
you can also look on Sailrites web site. under parts I think. they have three wheels the middle one is about what I have, or go really big but the price is kinda steep.

Jan 24, 2017
Just bought a new main from presision sails. $478.00 partial battons one reef. That's less than I can see myself.

Jul 25, 2017
MacGregor 25 Madison, WI
Great thread thanks! Really enjoyed it. If you happen to have a video walkthrough of the boat at this point, that would be really interesting to see.