Mi Amor restoration

Jan 24, 2017
Chrysler C26 Lake Sakakaweea
My new tiller. :clap: I wanted to make it from Hickory and Walnut but I could not find any walnut so I used Maple. My next one I will use Walnut and Ash if I can find it. Some major carving to go but I can do that during the week. The SS rudder plates are at the welder should be done. I should be able to finish up the rudder this weekend. I see on the rudder site that they do not use the large hole but only a small bolt hole. I think I might call them and find out if it is a better system.

Attachments

Jan 24, 2017
Another long weekend comes to a close. The rudder only needs three more coats. The generator locker turned out pretty nice very water tight and hopefully burglar proof. maybe one more weekend of fiberglass and I should be done. top to hull connection is mostly finished. I filled it with fiberglass so it is now water tight and very sturdy.

Attachments

Jan 24, 2017
Well I have been working on an electric drive using an outboard lower unit. I have the bed for the unit mounting finished and will look fore some aluminum to finish the mount. Most of the interior is finished. The windows are done and we may get some rain so I will find out how good a job I did. Some of the new parts are in so I can arrange them on the bow.

Attachments

Jan 24, 2017
A lot has been done. Most of the painting is finished, I still have the non-skid areas to go. Starting to put it back together. I still have a maroon stripe to go below the black. I tried to match the color of the hull and that is as close as I could get it. I figured the Black stripe would break it up some. I also will get my lower unit installed by next week. I found a motor that is liquid cooled so I can just attach a line from the lower unit and I have cooling without all the radiator and pumps normally needed.

Attachments

Jan 24, 2017
Thanks for the tips and I will get you that link to the gaskets, they must come off a roll because they charge by the foot. Three bucks and some change per foot. I still have to measure mine. I have heard Jamestown Distrubutors is a good place to look, but I have not had time to investigate myself. I spent a lot of time on CompassMarine where they explain in detail leaks and bedding of hardware. Anyway, best wishes and thanks again. Carl
Carl did you ever get down to the place that has the window gaskets and were they the same ones for our windows? I redid all my windows but three are still leaking do to those gaskets.

Feb 3, 2017
Hunter 25.5 Lake Thurmond, South Carolina
Hi Skipperdan. Sorry to have taken so long to reply. I ordered the Gray Ports replacement gasket, 13 feet to do my four ports. This was ordered from Sailboatowners.com. I just completed installing them and still have the cabin top covered with a tarp. I am going to wash it down this weekend as we have good weather forcast and will let you know how it goes as far as leaks. Hopefully I will be done with the rails on top of the cabin which keep the top slide secure as well. Last week I used a dremel grinding took and cleaned all of the holes up, which were leaking, filled them with marine epoxy and am going to redrill them and use the butyl tape underneath each screw. I do not like the design of this one little bit. I don't know what the engineers were thinking! I will never raise the top of my cabin as it is a pop top. It is very heavy and it is nice in that it gives you a full six feet plus of headroom and plenty of air circulation but it appears it has fallen or abused by previous owners and required much grinding and sanding and I filled those holes as well with epoxy. Best wishes, and I hope you are finished with all your work and sailing by now. I hope to be in a few weeks. I have been distracted by other endeavors and still HAVE to work to support my bad sailing habit, lol. "Schooner or later, I WILL get my ship together."

Jan 24, 2017
I know my cabin top is different than yours but I did redo mine as well. I made new rails out of bamboo and reconfigured them so they work better. My motor should be here this week so I am getting close to splash down

Jan 24, 2017
Not the scariest thing I have done but close! Basically because I have not done it before and had no idea if it would go up or over. In the end it went up just fine one handed, about as easy as it gets. next time I will have a couple of blocks and lines from the toe rail to the spinnaker attach so I can guide it a little better. The winch made it a snap. The rear mast support needs to be a little higher and attached to the boat for support. my plan was to just roll it out the rear support but it is over center so that was not working. Once I had the mas base in place though it was not bad after that. Now I am going to measure all rigging and order new, just not taking any chances at this point. I figured out that even though the turnbuckle is 3/8" you still have to order the swivel 5/16".
KIMG0034 (Medium).jpg
KIMG0035 (Medium).jpg
KIMG0033 (Medium).jpg

Feb 3, 2017
Could not tell what you were doing. Stepping the mast? Oh yeah. Meant to tell you I worked all day yesterday...I am as slow as Christmas. Just ask anyone who knows me, lol. Put on the new rails on top of cabin and covers for the slides on the companionway. And scrubbed two years of stuff off the topsides on m hands and knees most of today but sure looks better. Going to check out this product a clubmember recommended; Costacoat. Mop it on and it protects gelcoat like a clearcoat on automobiles.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2017
Yep. It went well, but the stays had the wrong turnbuckles. I used the winch and it went right up. Since I did not do this before I had no idea if the stays were even the correct length

Jan 24, 2017
The winch goes up by the mast support then attaches by the Spinnaker eye. The yellow strap. I have a remote so I just hold the mast as it goes up.

Feb 3, 2017
Oh yeah. That would have been a little scary. Glad to see your progress. I am probably replacing my running rigging. Still in the valley of indicision. That stuff is expensive.

Jan 24, 2017
I just bought mine from Milwaukee rigging on eBay. 150' 5/16" vcp. I think it was .90 a foot. They have good deals. I just now finished the eye splice for the main.

Jan 24, 2017
Just realized I am missing the blocks for the jib sheets. Carl do you have a photo of yours?

Feb 3, 2017
Just realized I am missing the blocks for the jib sheets. Carl do you have a photo of yours?
Hunters are different. My jibsheets are preattached at the clew of the jib so I can run one each along port and starboard side of my boat I have a block looks like on a spring on each side of the boat as well and it looks like I can adjust this to my needs depending on which size headsail I use. I do not have any other turning blocks or leads that I can remember and they terminate on the winches one on each side as well with self tailing device on the top of the winch. Since I have never had a boat this nice or this large, I am looking forward to using them. I have seen several different variations of this, though depending on the manufacturer. They all do the same thing, but have slight variations in how it is accomplished. Yours may have blocks attached to your clew and then the sheets, one port and one starboard lead from some point of attachment, then through the block, and from there, back to the cockpit. I am most familiar with this but not the Hunter. I am going up later today and will take a photo of mine if that will help.

Last edited: