Mi Amor restoration

Jan 24, 2017
Chrysler C26 Lake Sakakaweea
I am new here so I thought I would introduce myself first.

58 year old retired from water treatment presently working at the Parks and Recreation Department in Dickinson ND. I started out with a 14' Hobi Cat on a small lake. Went to a little bigger Chrysler Mutineer. Then I went real big! 28' Pearson Triton. This I was planning on sailing around the world. Started out in Wisconsin down the Mississippi and made it to St. Louis. There I got iced in and ended up spending the winter in the keys with the marina's owner. Working on his boat if you want to call it work, most of the time I was tuna fishing. Ended up going to Peru SA because I wanted to check it out, or rather the girl I met or both. getting back to St. Louis someone at the marina gave me a Catalina 26 for free, he just needed it out of the water. I worked on that for a while then parted it out, headed back to Peru, got married and headed back to the States to ND no less. It was the job market here. Sailing never left my thoughts and we have this 100 mile lake here, Lake Sakakawea. So last fall I started looking at adds for sailboats. I found this Chrysler C26 rough shape but in my price range. I have to pretty much redo it as far as interior goes. The rest is sound. I gutted it out and finished all the teak so far. I have to get it water tight before replacing the interior. I took the Anchor locker out and beefed the area up for a bollard, cowl vent and chain entry/exit. that is the first pic I have. I closed up the original vent hole because I wanted it over the chain locker in case any water gets in.

Dan

Attachments

Feb 3, 2017
Hunter 25.5 Lake Thurmond, South Carolina
New here too. Just purchased a '85 Hunter 25.5 as a fixer upper and did not check the leaking around the chainplates so well. The bulkhead on the starboard side will need replacing as it is very soft in a couple of places. I don't trust it. All portlights leaking the pop up cabin top is pretty flaky as well as all the outside teak. So I am about to find a source for whatever that teak ply is...close to 1/2 inch. Enjoyed reading your blog. Best wishes there. Mine sat in the lake water untouched for two years and needs a lot of TLC. I still have to work, part time, but think I can have it ready by summer.

Jan 24, 2017
Rot is not that hard to fix, sometimes you can do it from the inside. That is how I will do mine. Since I do not plan on replacing the stanchions all I have to do is fill it. I do have to drill out oversize all the screws for the top cabin connection then fill with epoxy and reset the screws. On the 26 it has a full gunwale/traveler so this needs to be secure. I would say any hole you can get to drill it out fill it and reset it. again it is not that hard and makes a big difference in strength and to get a water tight seal.

Dan

Feb 3, 2017
Thanks for your feedback, Dan. I have consulted with a few of the old heads and a friend up at the sailing club and will probably do as they have suggested. I will need to maintain their friendship, if you know what I mean. I have watched a few videos on a site maintained by Compass Marine. Epoxy will definitely beef up the old weakened and wallowed out fastener holes but thru hull fastenings and such should have a bedding compound to keep out the water. I use the Bed It Tape and it is sure-fire and lasts a long time. When you have any two surfaces mated together, water, via capillary action will definitely enter and over time come back to bite one in the hinder parts. It is fairly reasonable and much better than the Marine glues I have tried. But I am not trying to sell you on it, just that if you have not heard of it or used it, it is a good product. Have a great week end and good luck with your project.

Carl

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Welcome aboard, Lots of help here and people willing to share their knowlege!

Jan 24, 2017
The procedure is the same for through hull bolts. Drill it out larger fill back in with epoxy. This gives an area that will not compress over time with the force of the bolts. You still bed the fitting the same.

Dan

Jan 24, 2017
I refurbished one of the windows just to make sure they would be OK. I was figuring I had to replace them. What I really am trying to do is seal up all the leaks so I can wash it down.
First I stripped the aluminum frame with a non metallic wheel. Cleaned it with alumi prep (The two options are shown, one is just aluminum cleaner for welding aluminum. The other is Phosphoric acid.) Then I just painted it with flat black paint. For the rubber insert I used lacquer thinner and Rubber cleaner from the tire shop. for the glass which I thought was shot I used the swirl remover and it took almost everything out. Since the rubber was a little hard I used some sealant on the inside and outside (water based so I just cleaned the assembly up after. Turned out good and solid. When I install it for good I will use regular automotive butyl tape behind the frame. We used it for installing windows in cars. Still needs to be cleaned up but there is a big difference between the old and new. Hard to tell from a pic though.Window restoration.jpg Window finished.jpg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Welcome Skipperdan. I've been a forum member for years and in all that time I've not divulged as much personal information as you did in your first post! I didn't even have a avatar until 2 weeks ago. You're probably more normal than I am.
One thing that amazes me about this forum, is that we hear from sailers in parts of the US, and elsewhere, in which I didn't think there was enough water to float a sailboat. So I look forward to hearing from you about Peru and North Dakota and wherever your life experiences have taken you.

Jan 24, 2017
One thing that amazes me about this forum, is that we hear from sailers in parts of the US, and elsewhere, in which I didn't think there was enough water to float a sailboat.
I had no Idea either that there was a 100 mile lake in ND. It looks like a fantastic lake very scenic, also our winds average 35 so it should be interesting.
http://www.parkrec.nd.gov/parks/lssp/lssp.html

Dan

Attachments

Feb 3, 2017
Sure or holds it from getting inside :) Two of the windows leak as I finally was able to wash it off.
Enjoyed reading your recent posts as well as the other replies. I am researching the window leaks on mine. I believe they are all a result of dried out gaskets, as I sat inside during a good rain and watched them drip.. I have four of them and all leak. I measured the gasket size, which is 1/4 inch but I neglected to look closely to be sure of the manufacturer or measure the window size. Been sick with the flu or I would have already ordered them. It is 25 miles up to the club, so I will probably take care of it Monday. Your work looks good.

Feb 3, 2017
Since this is skipperdan's blog, I don't know if I should respond, but just in case you are speaking to us both, thank you.

Jan 24, 2017
I was not aware you could still get something like that. Most likely it is leaking from the attach point to the boat though. Not a good design! There is no support behind the frame just a honeycomb paper. This really needs to be filled with epoxy all the way around. then attach the frame to that. General rule of thumb is when ever there is a hole it is filled with epoxy then drilled. This insures that if water does enter it does not get past the epoxy to the core. The window is a big hole, fill all the way around so if water does enter it cannot get to the core. It will just dribble into the boat and back out the bilge pump.

P.S. Let me know if you find some gaskets, it will be a little bit before I have to tackle that part.
Dan

Feb 3, 2017
Thanks for the tips and I will get you that link to the gaskets, they must come off a roll because they charge by the foot. Three bucks and some change per foot. I still have to measure mine. I have heard Jamestown Distrubutors is a good place to look, but I have not had time to investigate myself. I spent a lot of time on CompassMarine where they explain in detail leaks and bedding of hardware. Anyway, best wishes and thanks again. Carl