Mexican Bureaucracy.....

Dec 20, 2009
allied seabreeze san diego ( mission bay)
An article in last week "THE LOG" , published in SoCal got me a little worried , since I had plan to go cruising down there in the near future ; it states that the followings are required for any vessels entering mexican waters :
Mexican VISA
Temporary Vessel import Permit
Mandatory fishing license
Proof of Insurance
International Ship Radio License
Individual Radio operator license

Would anyone with recent personal experience confirm that all that *&%#@ is really required ?

Thanks in advance ,

Jan 22, 2008
NorSea 27 Az., Doing the To-Do list
koolfrog,

Our experience is not all that recent. we spent about 5 years in Mexico. I can say without a doubt, it was GREAT in the Sea of Cortez! :D

And ask, why would you not have all of the items you asked about? :confused: :confused:

They are ALL simple and for the most part low cost.

Greg

Dec 20, 2009
koolfrog,

Our experience is not all that recent. we spent about 5 years in Mexico. I can say without a doubt, it was GREAT in the Sea of Cortez! :D

And ask, why would you not have all of the items you asked about? :confused: :confused:

They are ALL simple and for the most part low cost.

Greg

FCC License : $ 160 ( unnecessary in the U.S)
Cheap Insurance !!!!! Please , be kind enough to let me know where you can purchase Insurance Coverage , south of Ensenada at " low cost"

Thanks in advance

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
An article in last week "THE LOG" , published in SoCal got me a little worried , since I had plan to go cruising down there in the near future ; it states that the followings are required for any vessels entering mexican waters :
Mexican VISA
Proof of Insurance

Would anyone with recent personal experience confirm that all that *&%#@ is really required ?

Thanks in advance ,
Do you have a link to that article? I couldn't find it in The Log online.

atpjim

Feb 7, 2014
Catalina 30 Alameda, CA
Latest from Mexico

There has been a huge issue in Mexico lately about foreign owned boats.
For all the latest news check out Latitude 38. The publishers boat was impounded and he has first hand experience with the current situation.
He loves Mexico and it's people but is less than thrilled with their government.
I would think if you are going there and are not willing to comply with all the B/S and have a smile on your face while doing it, don't go.

Jan 22, 2008
FCC License : $ 160 ( unnecessary in the U.S)
Cheap Insurance !!!!! Please , be kind enough to let me know where you can purchase Insurance Coverage , south of Ensenada at " low cost"

Thanks in advance
True, the HAM reciprocal was about the most objectionable fee. :cry: BUT, you NEED one in EVERY foreign country you use your HAM radio in!

For insurance, contact DeAnne at Rowcliffe's Insurance 619-698-1849.
I have no connection to them other than a good service I received on not only our boat, but also a car and all done by internet/email. :D

Mexico is NOT a fee for all or the old west. It's another country. And as was said, if you don't want to abide by there laws, don't go, or accept the consequences. As the captain of your own boat, YOU are responsible.

Greg

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Mexican VISA
Proof of Insurance

Thanks in advance ,
I wonder what is required of foreign-flagged cruisers entering US ports? :D

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
You Need Them for Mexico

This is what I learned from my trips, but with a new administration, things are changing, so don't rely on this. Rather, do some research before you go. BTW, it sounds much worse than it is.

Mexican VISA
Sure. You can get it in Ensenada. Easy. Hotel Coral & Marina will act as an agent (for a fee) and provide transportation and assistance; highly recommended. May be available on line now. About $25

Temporary Vessel import Permit This is supposed to be available on-line now or you can get it in Ensenada. Good for ten years; about $50. You definitely need it.

Mandatory fishing license This is only required of each person if you have any fishing hardware aboard. Generally recommended. I have none and don't get them. $42 for an annual license. Was available on line, but the site went down. Maybe back up now. Available in Ensenada.

Proof of Insurance This is kinda complicated. I have never purchased insurance specifically for Mexico, rather relying upon my BUS policy which provided adequate coverage. It was accepted for entry. However, Mexico does technically require a policy through a Mexican-domiciled insurance company. Usually, they are liability-only and require an underlying insurance policy from a specialty yacht carrier. You can get one on line. I got one last year since I was spending a month there and wanted to be proper.

International Ship Radio License Yes. Get one from the FCC. Required in foreign waters. I think it's good for ten years.

Individual Radio operator license Ditto.

Don't forget to have fun!

Dec 20, 2009
True, the HAM reciprocal was about the most objectionable fee. :cry: BUT, you NEED one in EVERY foreign country you use your HAM radio in!

For insurance, contact DeAnne at Rowcliffe's Insurance 619-698-1849.
I have no connection to them other than a good service I received on not only our boat, but also a car and all done by internet/email. :D

Mexico is NOT a fee for all or the old west. It's another country. And as was said, if you don't want to abide by there laws, don't go, or accept the consequences. As the captain of your own boat, YOU are responsible.

Greg
I do not want to be misunderstood !!!! I am a responsible captain and a law abiding citizen !
However , as French born and used to the overbearing bureaucracy of this country , I just want to make sure that , although I can cruise legally all over the Marquesas and the Society island , without , as far as I know , any requirement for insurance , or a license to operate my VHF , or a cruising permit , I still need to acquire all this paraphernalia , just for a month long stopover in Mexico !

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The "conclusions" from both Latitude 38 and those "in the know" who are in Mexico is that the Mexican website for a TIP simply doesn't work, in many cases because the boat type options don't include most types of boats!!! How helpful is that?!? Recommendations are to get them when you arrive rather than trying to get them before you go online.

Jul 21, 2013
Searching for 1st sailing boat 27-28, 34-36 Channel Islands, Marina Del Rey
When enough people stop catering to these b/s requirements, the bureaucracy MIGHT get the message. Go to Thailand, where tourists are welcomed :)

Just my 2 cents.

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Pearson 323 . St. Mary's Georgia
Latitude also reported that a new law was passed that will require all recreational boaters to have a captain's license. They said it probably won't be enforced by many port officials, but that does leave you in limbo depending on the if it is a law and you do not possess a captain's license.

Dec 20, 2009
Latitude also reported that a new law was passed that will require all recreational boaters to have a captain's license. They said it probably won't be enforced by many port officials, but that does leave you in limbo depending on the if it is a law and you do not possess a captain's license.
What is a captain license ? How do you obtain one ?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
What a bunch of whiners and cry babies :).
I remember when going to Mexico on a nice boat was a pretty risky thing. If some relative of a local official fancied your boat, your boat would be impounded in a heart beat and sailing with her new "owner" the very next day while you sat on your suitcase on the dock, and tried to figure out how you were going to get home.
The US Consulate was pretty helpful with a "Well, you must have done something wrong for them to impound your boat."
Ah, now those were the good old days......
Just sayin'

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Wait A Bit...

What is a captain license ? How do you obtain one ?
...my understanding is that this was intended for commercial operators & charter boats but, like in the USA, sometimes those are not properly delineated in the reg's. I personally believe this is a stretch and will go away pretty quickly. I think it was just unearthed after people started doing a more thorough review of Mexican maritime regulations and had not been enforced as to pleasure vessels. I am not considering getting one for my trip this year. Of course, that's easy for me to say :naughty:

Jan 22, 2008
I do not want to be misunderstood !!!! I am a responsible captain and a law abiding citizen !
However , as French born and used to the overbearing bureaucracy of this country , I just want to make sure that , although I can cruise legally all over the Marquesas and the Society island , without , as far as I know , any requirement for insurance , or a license to operate my VHF , or a cruising permit , I still need to acquire all this paraphernalia , just for a month long stopover in Mexico !
IF, you are sure you are only going to stay a month or so, insurance can be pro-rated. You DO need radio license any other place you go. If you do not have the international radio (from the FCC, NOT Boat US) you are NOT legal.

ALL foreign countries REQUIRE a visa! For Mexico, it's a few dollars and can be done at the border (or Ensenada).Try China!!! It took 2 weeks and over $200.00 to get ours. :cry:

As to cruising permit, NONE is required in Mexico. You do need a TIP (Temporary Import Permit). They just want to make sure you are not selling the boat there,and at $50 or what ever, that is cheep! Try the Bahamas, you do need a cruising permit at $200.00 A YEAR. :eek:

Also, if you are not staying in Mexico for more than a couple of months, just don't use the transmit on your HAM or SSB until you are in international waters.

When we stopped in Ensenada, there was a one-stop office, we went in there and got it ALL (except our HAM rec.) taken care of in an hour or so.It's was close to a GREAT pizza place..;)

Greg

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
when i went to Australia i flew united an they said i needed a visa but they handled that for me it was a 90 day visa iirc i think a vise is like a permission slip that goes along with you passport.....but all i cared about was getting there and seeing that country it was a great trip and was the only thing that i had on my bucket list at the time lol...

regards

woody

Nov 24, 2012
Um, we have traveled through several countries in Europe (unfortunately, not by sailboat) and I don't remember anybody asking about a visa.
That is correct for Europe. Visa's can be as simple as Australia or as complex as Russia. A lot depends on your country of citizenship