Mexican Bureaucracy.....

reraft

Jan 1, 2009
hunter 376 alameda ca
We have been cruising in Mexico since 2010 & I must say it is beautiful here.We do follow the requirements to be a VISITOR in this country.
Visa - International ships radio lic - Individual radio operators lic - Annual fishing lic (we fish) - Temporary import permit (good for 10 years) - current vessel documentaion - Mexican liability insurance (must have to enter marinas). Simple stuff & easy to obtain.
Again if you want to be a visitor in Mexico follow these very simple rules & enjoy the country & it's very very friendly & wonderful people. If not leave your crybaby but home.
S/v Hotel California

Sep 23, 2009
Catalina 42 Mk II Fremantle, West Australia
Bureaucracy

An article in last week "THE LOG" , published in SoCal got me a little worried , since I had plan to go cruising down there in the near future ; it states that the followings are required for any vessels entering mexican waters :
Mexican VISA
Temporary Vessel import Permit
Mandatory fishing license
Proof of Insurance
International Ship Radio License
Individual Radio operator license

Would anyone with recent personal experience confirm that all that *&%#@ is really required ?

Thanks in advance ,
Just general observations - Bureaucrats are rampant all over the world - the place is crawling with them.
In all marinas in the Med, we have required 3rd Party cover. In Greece, this has to be 6 million Euros so all policies are now for 6 million.
In the US as a foreign flagged vessel, we were required to get a Cruising Permit (free) but then had to call in EVERY TIME WE MOVED, as in EVERY NIGHT down the ICW. If you get off a plane, Immigration wouldn't know where the hell you were for 90 days until you left but we had to give continual updates. Half the time the guy at the end of the phone said "What are you calling me for?" and the other half the time the guy says "OK, and you came from where last night? And where to tomorrow" Some care, some couldn't give a R.A.

In the Azores, you check in in the marina THEN you MUST go to the Captainerie to get a Lighthouse Tax receipt - It takes the lady behind the counter 20 minutes to take your info onto a form which she then keys into a computer (gotta love that sh**) then charges you 2 whole euros.

In Greece, you are supposed to check in in each port and pay whatever the small fee is but you must also give them a tax form that costs 0.78c! You get this form by going to a tax office with your passport (get 6 at a time). When you try to pay, you get sent with the forms to another counter to pay 6 x 0.78c.

When you check in to Greece, you go to Port Police, who send you to Customs with a form. Customs stamps it and sends you back to the Port Police, who send you back to Customs. Then you go back to Port Police to get your Cruising Log.

In Turkey, if you bring in ANY mobile device i.e. phone, tablet, wifi dongle, anything that has an IMEI number, and you buy a TURKISH SIM, you can only use it for 30 days then the network shuts you down UNLESS you have paid a tax of TL115, which is far more because to get this registered, cell shops will shake you down for TL30 to TL70 (it's random, whatever they think they can get) AND you an only bring in ONE device in any TWO YEARS.

I could go on and on about the negatives BUT there are also very many positives. In **** (don't want to get them into trouble) we tried to check in and got sent all over town because nobody knew how to do it. When we finally rocked up at the Coast Guard offices, everyone in the office came out to see us because nobody bothers to check in in this place. Took them 20 minutes to find the stamp and then we all stood around and looked at it in our passports because it was so rare.

There are idiots everywhere, fools with paper fixations and clowns with regulations. But there are also some very nice, laidback guys and gals who are very glad to see you and feel privileged that they are talking to you in a port and they're not stuck with all their colleagues on some soul-destroying Airport Check In line.

Go with the flow and don't sweat the small stuff.

Jan 22, 2008
NorSea 27 Az., Doing the To-Do list
Um, we have traveled through several countries in Europe (unfortunately, not by sailboat) and I don't remember anybody asking about a visa.
Sandy,

Are you saying you are a US citizen and traveled from the US to any place in the EU without a passport? You did not go through customs and immigration when you arrived? Your passport was not scanned when you entered? :confused: Once in the EU, it's sort of like the USA, no further paperwork is needed. Weather you knew it or not, you DID have a sort of visa and you were tracked when in country. Have you heard about the Schengen agreement?? Take a look! If you are a US citizen, you can enter the EU without a formal visa. BUT, you can only stay 90 days total, in ALL of the EU! We have a number of friends cruising there now. They must fly back and stay out of the EU for a period of time before they can return to there boat. So, in essence, they have the option of sailing out of the EU, or mandatory storing there boat when they are out of the EU. Sort of a forced impound??

The EU and the US are are on very good terms. We have entered and did NOT have our passport stamped, but that was before 9/11. Not sure about that now. It's about the same when entering Australia. If you look at your passport, you will see the entry stamp there. The cost of that is built into the ticket to get you there.

We recently visited Vietnam and Cambodia, Not only did it take 2 weeks to get the visas, we had to get a multiple entry/exit for Vietnam and the cost up there.

In Mexico, once we entered, during our 90 days, we applied for a long stay visa (FM3) and received it. That way we could stay for a year at a time without leaving the country. We renewed it 4 times so we never HAD to leave the country. Try that in the EU,as far as my friends know, it can't be done. Try getting a long stay visa for French Polynesia!!! CAN NOT currently BE DONE when you are there! And to get it, not only MUST it be done before you go, but you must provide the date you will arrive :eek: Try doing that from a sail boat!!!

Like it or not, each country is different and has rules that need to be followed!

Can you fly under the wire? Most likely, but as I said, be prepared to accept the consequences without all the tears and whining and complaining. :naughty:

Greg

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Well, my non-moronic opinion is that anyone who would plan their affairs based on the "legal" opinions you'd get on this forum... gets what they pay for. But, most likely, you will pay for it later.:eek:

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
I say just go to Mexico and pop the hatch. Tell them you were brought there by your parents and demand citizenship! Your a Dreamer!

Seems to work here in the good old US of A just fine.

Cheers

Oct 14, 2008
Hunter 430 San Diego
My wife and I are now in La Cruz, Mexico for the next few weeks doing repairs after our 3 week passage back up the coast from Manzanillo. We have been cruising here in Mexico since 2010 after sailing down on the Baja haha. Yes you do need the items in your list. But as in the states, when you apply to rent a slip you supply the marina with your registration/ USdoc's and insurance papers. The fishing license is only 48USD per year, you FCC license is free and a Mexican visa is good for 180 days at a cost 23USD. the TIP or temporary vessel import permit is so easy to get on line you'll laugh. it took 3 weeks to arrive via DHL and the cost was 60USD. All this *&%#@ is so easy to obtain. When you get here, you will have the time of your life. Our Hunter430 has and will continue to cruise Mexico for years to come. as my wife says, we love it here, and though we don't always understand the rules and requirements of Mexico we treat them with respect and adhere to them. As a side note you should see the requirement for cruising French Polynesia and other South Pacific Island countries. In some cases vessels need to post bonds upon enter with cruising costs just to be in their waters. We were boarded last November and had all the proper paper work and had NO problems what so ever.

required for any vessels entering mexican waters :
Mexican VISA
Proof of Insurance

Would anyone with recent personal experience confirm that all that *&%#@ is really required ?

Thanks in advance ,[/QUOTE]

Sep 8, 2013
Beneteau Oceanis 45 Rock Hall, MD
Visas

I am a Canadian that has been living in the US of A for the past 22 years. 20 of those were on a Visa, I now have a Green Card. Talk about arcane, there isn't anything much worse than an I94, and all of the computer searching and passport stamping during each airport entry. The US are masters of Beauracracy. I can vote in 1-1/2 years if I become a citizen, and I plan to. I am going to be the biggest PIA that my State Representatives ever imagined. I'm already taking measures to give the Governor grief for this years elections. I love the States but as with any country including Canada, I'm not a big fan of incompetent Beauracrats.

On a funnier note, I once consulted for a company that had a plant in Mexico across the boarder from Brownsville TX. One of their pickups went missing. The ended up finding it being driven by the local police. When they confronted them they were given a location to retrieve it. They did and it had been sumarily stripped. ;-)

Jul 28, 2010
Boston Whaler Montauk New Orleans
Further to Delezynsky's post, what he refers to is commonly called the " visa waiver scheme." To those that belong, including most EU countries, they either give you a little piece of paper or just stamp your passport. Countries not in the scheme require that you get a visa, usually ahead of your visit, which allows you to stay a certain amount of time. We needed one when we went to Turkey and to some Asian countries.

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Pearson 323 . St. Mary's Georgia
Do people that fly into Cancun for resort stays require a Visa as well?

I ask because I see these deals on Travel Zoo for last minute trips and seems unlikely you would have time to do anything in advance.

Sep 25, 2008
Hunter 376 San Rafael
An article in last week "THE LOG" , published in SoCal got me a little worried , since I had plan to go cruising down there in the near future ; it states that the followings are required for any vessels entering mexican waters :
Mexican VISA
Proof of Insurance

Thanks in advance ,

Check out this month's Latitude 38. There is some discussion in there about this.

Jan 22, 2008
Further to Delezynsky's post, what he refers.....

Hi Winkfish,

We are headed your way. Plan to trailer to New Orleans later this week. Looking forward to it! It's been a long time since we were last there.

Greg

Jan 22, 2008

I ask because I see these deals on Travel Zoo for last minute trips and seems unlikely you would have time to do anything in advance.
If you are a US citizen you get the visa when you arrive. No sweat at all! Easy. :D

Greg

Jul 28, 2010

I believe (but am not completely sure) that Mexico is part of the visa waiver scheme. No separate visa required, but they stamp your passport, and I think they give you a piece of paper to keep with your passport, which they collect when you leave.

Jul 28, 2010
Sorry, didn't see Delezynsky's post. Del, give us a shout when you make it down. Where are you putting in?

Sep 21, 2009
Hunter 34 Comox
I quizzed my buddy Ray. He and his wife are wintering in the Sea of Cortez right now and here is what he had to say:
Ian, Some of this information is correct. You do have to have a
Temporary Import Permit for your vessel. You can apply for this permit
on line, or get it within 30 days of entering Mexican waters, and it
is good for ten years. You will need a visa for everyone onboard, and
this can be obtained at the nearest immigration office upon arrival in
Mexico. If you are staying in Mexico for an extended period of time
this Visa will have to be renewed every 180 days, and you will have to
leave Mexico to get renewal. The boat can stay as long as the
Temporary Import Permit is good; (ten years) Your vessel does require
insurance to enter any marina in Mexico. As far as I know the fishing
licenses are not mandatory. I have a station license for the radio in
our boat, but I have never been asked for it. Mexican offices really
like their paperwork, but it isn't a huge task. It just takes time,
and maybe a little patience, but I have lots of time, and no reason to
be impatient.
Ray
If you would like to email him, PM me and I will forward his email.

Jan 22, 2008
I quizzed my buddy Ray. He and his wife are wintering in the Sea of Cortez right now and here is what he had to say:
Ian, Some of this information is correct. You do have to have a
Temporary Import Permit for your vessel. You can apply for this permit
on line, or get it within 30 days of entering Mexican waters, and it
is good for ten years. You will need a visa for everyone onboard, and
this can be obtained at the nearest immigration office upon arrival in
Mexico. If you are staying in Mexico for an extended period of time
this Visa will have to be renewed every 180 days, and you will have to
leave Mexico to get renewal.
FYI, take a look at the Baja Quest site at; http://bajaquest.com/faq/fm2_fm3.htm

Or just Google up "FM3" for info on changing over from a 180 day visa to a year long stay with no need to depart the country.

A note here, MAKE SURE to check the visa paper that they give you and you keep in your passport!!! I have seen people only get a 30 or 90 day visa at the airport (NOT a problem if you sail in)

We once left from the airport (we had our FM3) on a trip with another couple who did not have an FM3. When we returned to Mexico, the official must not have had his coffee as the other couple only got a 90 day visa. :cry:

Greg

Sep 13, 2010
Chris 30 Sport Fish LosAngeles
Sail directly to Baja Naval shipyard in Ensenada and you can walk to the permit office from there. The guy from Baja Naval walked us through the process. Do it on a weekday, start in the morning and commit a whole day to it. Vagabundos Del Mar can get you Mexican liability insurance for a very reasonable price.

Jan 22, 2008
Sail directly to Baja Naval shipyard in Ensenada and you can walk to the permit office from there. The guy from Baja Naval walked us through the process. Do it on a weekday, start in the morning and commit a whole day to it. Vagabundos Del Mar can get you Mexican liability insurance for a very reasonable price.

EXACTLY!!!!! :D

See our "Position Report" for Ensenada at; http://www.svguenevere.com/2005/jan.html
It's OLD, but still contains some good info.

Greg