Metal Toe Rail

Dec 11, 2015
Hunter 25 Plymouth
Has anyone painted their metal toe rail? Mine is currently black and I'm considering painting it a metalic silver/stainless steel/chrome or aluminum color to make it pop. I have a flag blue Hunter - Cherubini 25. Any experience/stories appreciated.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The toe rail is aluminum. Is it painted now, or is it anodized? You need to know that. Scratch some off to see what's under the black. I'm not saying, "don't paint it", I'm saying "know what you have" then look for solutions. People paint their masts all the time, so why not toe rails.... you just need to know what prep is needed.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
This would be a good time for a question I've had for a while. I have some sheet aluminum(not the shinny stuff). I want to make it black, either anodize it or any other chemical that would turn it black. In the same vein as using onion skins and such to dye easter eggs. Thoughts?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Any time you wish to paint exterior aluminum you need to use a very good quality etch primer, if you want the job to last. You should read the product data sheets on the metal primers commonly carried by the marine stores or mast suppliers and see which ones will work on anodized metal.
Personally for 'pop', I think you are looking at a pretty hefty price tag for quality materials and a lot of very hard, demanding work.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Have the same toe rail on my h30. Forget the pop. Too much work and it's not going to be worth it. Go sailing.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
It's aluminum, I've hacked up mine in places and it's shiny underneath when you do that. Uncoated aluminum will turn gray-ish with age.
For me, doing anything to it would mean more maintenance and I'm trying to do less work and sail more.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Polishing aluminum is a wast of time. Anodizing is the best process for aluminum. It can be anodized in almost any color. Custom colors cost more so if it's black or clear it's usually cheaper. Painting aluminum is a process, etching is the key. My advice to you is leave it alone. To answer your original question the rail is anodized aluminum.

Dec 11, 2015
Hunter 25 Plymouth
Thanks to everyone for your wisdom and advice. The rail was originally a brownish-black and was beatened up so I painted it black with rustoleum a few years back and it’s lasted quite a while. I’m always changing and improving the vessel as I need to keep her for a while longer due to a size restriction on my mooring that I waited 10 years for and my wallet (daughter in college $$$). I’m pretty handy so though my Hunter will never be a Morris, I keep trying to make her so (the design is a bit dated and I’m sure John Cherubini would change the looks!

Attachments

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Thanks to everyone for your wisdom and advice. The rail was originally a brownish-black and was beatened up so I painted it black with rustoleum a few years back and it’s lasted quite a while. I’m always changing and improving the vessel as I need to keep her for a while longer due to a size restriction on my mooring that I waited 10 years for and my wallet (daughter in college $$$). I’m pretty handy so though my Hunter will never be a Morris, I keep trying to make her so (the design is a bit dated and I’m sure John Cherubini would change the looks!
She looks good.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
She does look good, although with the dark blue hull, I think black or dull aluminum would better than "bright". I hadn't thought about Rustoleum, I might look into that after I dremel a few rough spots on mine.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I’m always changing and improving the vessel
Beautiful. I'm in favor of changing whatever makes you feel like changing if it improves your enjoyment and satisfaction with your boat. I believe sailors express their sense of art in their boats more than power boaters do. Your boat is your Magnum Opus, in a way.
Get it just right, but also, go sail. That's why you own her.

- Will (Dragonfly)

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
There is always compromise when considering function verses form. Form done to perfection will be costly in terms of time and money. Pure function can often be ugly! Compromise is often needed. In terms of your toe rails, what do you what from your boat? If first and foremost you love working on projects and can give the time and resources to make it perfect do it. But if sailing your boat is your priority a compromise is necessary. Four years ago I chose use Rustoleum paint on my black toe rails. I cleaned them with an abrasive pad and Bartenders Friend powder, rewashed w/ Joy soap and water, taped it off and sprayed with Rustoleum. I would guess I had about half a day in labor and maybe $20.00 in the job. I have touched up a couple of areas of wear but it took very little time and the rails still look good. (I also think that those areas would have worn thin with the complete and expensive proper paint job).
A short time ago I read an article about I think it was Mr Morse of Morse Boat builders. He had retired, built a beautiful teak goddess sailboat, and sailed to a warm area of the country. He noticed that his neighbors in his mooring area were often enjoying their "sundowners" while he sanded and varnished his teak decks. He chose to paint the teak decks white and enjoy the company of his neighbors. He is now the guy I idolize!