Merit 22 Paint question

Mar 11, 2021
Merit Merit 22 Lake Tillery
Hello i'm very new at sailing and everything involved with it so bare with me. I own a Merit 22 and im contemplating painting it a different color from white. Im considering painting it a light blue but im hoping that a current or past merit owner will answer me this. Is the black decretive lines, that run through the windows, decals or paint? will i be able to remove them? And one more question how in the world do i prevent water from getting in the bilge, it seems every couple days im pumping out 3 buckets of water from inside my boat its crazy, it seems like where the bilge pump is currently is having a hard time reaching the water, any suggestions?

Thank you kindly
74002904-A2DF-454D-8F35-9FFCB18E5CFA.jpeg

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
prevent water from getting in the bilge, it seems every couple days im pumping out 3 buckets of water from inside my boat its crazy, it seems like where the bilge pump is currently is having a hard time reaching the water, any suggestions?
Find the leak and plug it?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If you are getting that much water in the boat, you have a leak. The location of a leak is one of sailing's enduring mysteries. Common culprits are ports and deck fittings.

Because of the bilge pumps design, it will never pump the bilge completely dry. The pumps do a fair job of pushing water, but can't push air. Once the water level is below the height of the impeller it can no longer pump, it still runs but isn't doing anything. When it shuts off any residual water in the hose will drain back in to the bilge.

The cove strip and the side of the cabin are likely gelcoat.

Painting a boat can be an expensive and time consuming process if done well. Slapping a coat of cheap enamel or God forbid housepaint on the boat will make the boat a mess that you will regret from day 2 and especially when you start to take it off.

Alexseal, at about $100 a quart is probably the easiest quality paint to use.

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
Yeah I painted the topsides of my SJ24 way back last millennia, but that's because the topsides had been painted previous and had gelcoat blisters. :yikes:
Just buff that thing out it'll look real nice in a Merit kind of way and then paint and burnish the bottom and foils and go fast!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Just buff that thing out it'll look real nice in a Merit kind of way
Hi, and welcome. We almost bought a new M22 in 1983, but settled for a used Catalina 22. Nice and fast boats.

Here's how to shine your hull: Tips For A Great Buff & Wax

It's much a choice that YOU have to make, but if you do wax the hull properly, you won't ever regret not painting it.

Good luck.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
First of all, don't paint it unless there's a problem with the gel coat. See the comment above on sprucing it up. And.... sorry to tell you this... Light blue is not a good color for topsides, although it works well for non skid areas. I've seen a few light blue hulls on boats and they just don't sparkle and shine. Red, a darker blue or even yellow will shine much better. How you deal with the striping is a personal choice, but you might want to talk to a marine paint expert. Finally. don't buy cheap paint.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The Ranger 23 "Blue Skies" came from the factory with a light blue deck with dark blue accents. The topsides were dark blue. It was a very good looking boat. It may have been the non skid areas that were light blue (Robin's egg.) Painting non skid is a PITA. Topsides is pretty easy but you have to do excellent prep.
Regarding water in the bilge I think it's best to determine whether it's from the keel/hull or from the deck. First thing I'd do is dry the bilge COMPLETELY in a stint of dry weather and see if water is seeping in from keel bolts or keel/hull junction. If not, you can sit in the cabin while someone sprays water on the deck and see if you can see where water is coming in. Hatches, ports and around deck hardware are good places to test. Also cockpit drains and hoses if you have them.
If you are getting water in the bilge everyday, even when it didn't rain I'd bet on the keel/hull area. Very few bilges are completely dry but
three buckets seems like a lot.

Sep 8, 2020
Merit 22 Honker Bay
And one more question how in the world do i prevent water from getting in the bilge, it seems every couple days im pumping out 3 buckets of water from inside my boat its crazy, it seems like where the bilge pump is currently is having a hard time reaching the water, any suggestions?

Thank you kindlyView attachment 191445
If you are getting water in your cockpit you might be getting water in the bilge through your cockpit drain if the hose is rotting or falling off. I had this problem after every time it rained or I washed the boat. I bought a 2 inch radiator hose at the auto parts store that had a 90 degree bend molded in it. Installing it is another of life's little joys.

The only other place for water entry I can think of is a through hull fitting. The Merit 22 has no through hulls except for a depth finder or knot meter, if some one installed them. Where is your bilge pump? My boat is totally foam filled except for the space under the port side seat aft of the table.