meaning of -48V (minus 48?) output, Earth ground vs Return issues

Jan 7, 2017
beneteau 36 new london
Sorry if this is in the wrong sub-forum

MaineSail'sMaineSail'sMusing Sub is only for him to start new threads?

not really propulsion-specific but at 48V I guess here's best. . . (thanks mod)

I'd rather the discussion **please** not get derailed on the design-level "big picture", maybe in another thread; this is for a very specific issue I'm confused about. Note I am yes a noobie virgin on much electrickery basics, especially AC, and yes, I will at some point hire a pro "sparkie" to help assure safety #1.

I am looking to create a powerful high-current - but safe - charging setup on the cheap, and have decided to use 48Vdc "rectified" from shore / AC gensets,

to feed big loads like aircon, charging freezer eutectic holding plates, high-gph watermakers, and to charge the main LFP battery bank, ideally all at the same time, if / when the upstream power supply is sufficient.

Looking to start at 3kW, but higher would be better in future, also for use on an expedition truck rig, or an off-grid "shack", or perhaps for an EV / propulsion bank.

Using DC voltage conversion as needed, for e.g. normal House 12V distribution circuits, 24V bowthruster / windlasses etc.

Two source niche markets where such gear is **very** reasonably priced (even NOS!) are rack server power supplies from IBM/HP/Dell etc, and the telecoms industry.

With the latter, I am confused by their standard " -48Vdc " output (note the negative,) as opposed to the usual "regular" 48Vdc

I know in mobile use cases like cars and airplanes, no true Earth ground exists on either AC nor for DC circuits, and I "assume" the same is true on many / most / all boats, especially when charging is fed by a portable inverter generator.

Therefore, batteries' and consumer loads' negative return conductors are only all tied together to, here to be called "Vehicle Common", unless someone gives me a better term.

From googling, I read terms like

energized conductor (usually positive, "high side")

as opposed to the

current return path (negative / low side), and that

The power supply (charger / Rectifier's) output DC circuit may be completely Floating, aka disconnected from all the input AC circuits, or on the other hand, may be connected to Vehicle Common.

The input AC circuit Return conductor may or may not connect to Vehicle Common

The Rectifier's Chassis may or may not connect to Vehicle Common, and

finally, the Rectifier's internal components may be isolated from its own chassis?

I have seen people write the energized / positive output conductor from the Rectifier gets "grounded", i.e. connected to Vehicle Common, rather than its negative return, but I can't imagine that's right?

Is another device needed to change the -48Vdc output to "regular" 48Vdc? or

is it just a matter of carefully wiring things correctly for Ungrounded operations, using RCD / GFCI / ELCB protection and ground fault / leak detection gear to compensate?

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
I know nothing about telecom power supplies, but I would assume that the equipment case is connected to the supply ground. In other words, the power output is at -48V referenced to the case. I believe that would cause problems if you connected the case to boat ground for safety reasons and tried to use the power output as positive 48V. Alternatively, if you connected the power output to boat ground and used the supply ground as positive 48V, the case would also be at 48V relative to the boat ground. Not a good thing.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
The -48 was to minimize electrolysis in long buried wires in the telecom system dating back to Alexander (Graham Bell). So this is kind of a legacy thing like the space shuttle booster rockets being two horses asses wide. 48V system means something like 56V when you are charging, I think this voltage is considered unsafe already. The next step up from 12 in boats is 24V I don't think you will find much or any 48V marine stuff. Design a 24V system and you can find all sorts of stuff designed to take it. As always pray for Maine Sail and follow his commandments, I more than defer.

Jan 7, 2017
beneteau 36 new london
The seller of one unit I'm looking at states the internal components are connected to the chassis, but there is a single point where that can be disabled so they Float.

For liability they do not want to advise if / how to install without the AC input side being Earth Grounded.

But that the DC output circuit can be Floating, and thus it can be made to work as a +48V supply.

But I do not know **how** and if they are lying it's a very heavy unit to pay international return shipping.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
If the output is floating, then connect the -48V output to your DC ground and the output "ground" will be at +48 V with respect to the DC ground. You seem hell bent on doing this without any worry about if it is safe or not, what is so wrong with tried and true 24V stuff?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
what is so wrong with tried and true 24V stuff?
It doesn't match the available equipment.
Also
If there is electric propulsion in the future, some manufacturers are going bigger: 36v, 48v.

Your voltage output indicates, of course, the direction of flow. Stick with that thought and connect your circuit devices accordingly. Use a multi-meter across your leads to be sure. If you have any doubts, and it sounds like you do, pay for the assurance of a respected pro.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
This is simply a design issue to make it work and safe. As an example an isolation transformer ($$$) connected to the AC charger input to avoid the ground issues. The thing I would be concerned about is: Is it all built to marine standards? For example are the boards all conformal coated, are the internal wires stranded and nickel plated? What will your electrical help cost you? Marine hardware that you would want to power will be native 12 or 24 volt. I could design this system, but not willing to.

Often things that look economical really aren't.

Ken

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Before cellular I had a mobile phone company. We had telco (-48V) interfaced with radio transmitters (+12 and 24V). I can tell you we had to take great pains to keep the 2 systems isolated. Also the telco rack frames were referenced to the radio system grounds. The telco "grounds" were different from the actual site grounds. Short answer is this will be a really complex undertaking. Also how do you plan to divide down the 48 volts DC once you get it onboard? Just my .02.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Very early teleco lines used the actual ground as return so there was just one wire run. As mentioned above, keeping that wire at a negative potential reduced corrosion due to electrolysis. It wouldn't be surprising if the -48VDC teleco power supplies could easily be converted to +48VDC supplies.
It sounds like you are considering other systems, not just for a boat. On a boat, it just doesn't make any sense to use 48VDC. Mostly because you can't use it for anything on the boat without some kind of DC/DC converter which will only increase your costs, but also because it is much less safe. 28V is considered to be the highest voltage that won't kill you. That's why boats, cars and airplanes use nominal 12VDC and 24VDC systems. 48V just isn't used on boats so anyone working on the system may not be expecting it leading to a potential very unsafe situation. If you are looking at off grid home/cabin or EV use then it becomes more common to use higher voltages. Just use proper protection as you would with 115VAC systems.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
48 Volts is 48 Volts. The -48V only represents the common or 0 point in respect to earth ground. I mentioned earlier any 48 volt item should work properly providing it is wired correctly to the supply if you ensure correct polarity. I'm baffled by what you hope to achieve by using a non standard power system but knock your self out if it makes you happy.

Jan 7, 2017
beneteau 36 new london
I'm looking at a top notch world-class telecoms PSU, brand NOS.

8kva output, adjustable 44-58Vdc output, world power inputs, from 90-280Vac, 50/60Hz, very compact and quiet. Each rectifier module can be independently fed, e.g. even US 10A circuits to get to say 5kva, or from multiple gensets.

The included control module on its own, often sells for higher than that $500.

Each modular rectifier is a standalone AC-to-DC PSU, puts out 2kva, goes for well under $100 but you need the controller to adjust output voltage and current limits.

Jan 7, 2017
beneteau 36 new london
Thanks to all for responses!

Don't want to get into the weeds on the "big picture" here, prefer to stick to the specifics on how to do this safely.

> You seem hell bent on doing this without any worry about if it is safe or not

Not an accurate inference, as I would have thought reference to

> using RCD / GFCI / ELCB protection and ground fault / leak detection geargear

and

> and yes, I will at some point hire a pro "sparkie" to help assure safety #1.

would have made clear.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2017
beneteau 36 new london
OK so long as there is **no** other connection between the input and output sides,

I can simply connect the negative voltage output line of the PSU to the negative "ground" line of the load device, and connect the "ground" output line of the PSU to the positive line of the device.

Next question: I have found instructions for isolating the individual modular rectifiers ( which can each operate standalone ) in the enclosure from their outer "chassis common".

But it seems this is not actually necessary?

By default each module shares a commo reference via that "chassis ground".

Which way is safer?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2017
beneteau 36 new london
Remember, the whole system will have no true Earth Ground available in several use case contexts, e.g. powered by genset out on a lake or middle of the desert.

When grid input **is** available, then only the input "side" of this charging rig will be earthed at the grid connection.

The load device / batteries "other side" will remain floated with respect to any grid connected AC circuits.

For simplicity and safety, my design goal for all use cases will be that this charging rig will be the **only** connection to the grid or Earth Ground. Only inverters will be used for mains-style AC powered loads / appliances.

Does that sound sensible?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
One concern I would have is that in most appliances the chassis is ground, and people (workers, subsequent owners, you after a few years and you forget these nuances) will assume that to be the case. That means that when someone touches the case of your PSU, they're touching +48V without realizing it. If they touch that case while touching a ground line, or the case of some other case-grounded appliance, 48V could be enough to be surprising, if nothing else. If you can reliably isolate the device so that the rectifiers aren't grounded to the case, I guess that makes it somewhat better.

Jan 7, 2017
beneteau 36 new london
Thanks, that is exactly my concern. At high currents I bet 48V could cause a health issue in the wrong circumstances, especially at such high current rates.

I could enclose the case in neoprene, put huge safety-orange Shock Danger stickers?

That is, if there is any downside to my isolating the rectifiers from the outer chassis.

Is there?

Last edited: