McLube Sailkote Substitute

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
That's what I use on the fence and table of my table saw.
Yes, Boeshield is great for use on the table saw. Definitely prevents corrosion, not sure about use as a lubricant. I also find that it leaves a bit of residue. After spraying the table with Boeshield and wiping, I followup with a couple coats of Johnson paste wax and buff; the table & fence are slick as glass. OK enough about table saws!
Jackdaw that's a good idea to use Boeshield on the turnbuckles, I adjust mine only once or twice a year; however, coating them would absolutely reduce the tendency to corrode.
I just don't want anything that will leave a wet/sticky residue that will attract dirt and cause buildup. also have to have a plastic "straw" attachment for the aerosol can to enable spraying the furler bearings inside the mast that are inaccesable by any other means. US Spars recommends WD40; however, it leaves too much buildup. I really don't like to use any lubricant on the leech of the sail because that's not where the most friction occurs in the system, most of the friction is in the furling drum and multiple turning blocks.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
US Spars recommends WD40
I don't even allow WD40 on my boat.
Why?

Water soluable.

I use WD40 to spray a wasp nest, then they can't fly, and ground stomp them. Cheaper than Raid®.:pimp:
Jim...

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
... but if you look at OneDrop it is just Mineral Oil.
An MSDS is not a spec sheet, it is a list of hazardous materials. I used to write them, so it is a pet peeve of mine when people treat them as specs. Manufacturers are NOT required to list many ingredients, and we always left out anything key that was not directly related to user safety.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
Interesting, Krytox is specified by Mercedes Benz to lubricate folding hardtops & by Nissan for convertable tops. Have had great success on sail slides with Elmer's Slide All, 4 oz. for $8.36 at Amazon. Was thinking of getting a Tides track before I used Slide All.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
An MSDS is not a spec sheet
Well >98% Mineral Oil plus secret ingredients.:rolleyes:

They MUST show anything that is hazardous.

So what secret ingredient is for more lubricity?;)
Jim...

PS: Perhaps a few drops of WD40?:laugh:
PSS: They MUST declare "proprietary ingredients" and list their wt% for toxicity or other health hazards.:pimp:

Mar 26, 2011
Well >98% Mineral Oil plus secret ingredients.:rolleyes:

They MUST show anything that is hazardous.

So what secret ingredient is for more lubricity?;)
Jim...

PS: Perhaps a few drops of WD40?:laugh:
PSS: They MUST declare "proprietary ingredients" and list their wt% for toxicity or other health hazards.:pimp:
No, you don't have to list minor ingredients in many cases. Only major ingredients (because they define gross physical properties) and appreciably toxic ingredients (at blended concentrations--a few tenths of a percent probably does not make much difference). It also depends on the application (food, cosmetics, and lubes follow different rules).

Yes, a few percent of certain things can make a major difference, including lubricity and cling. Key ingredients may be small fractions of a percent. You can Google this. I worked in the industry for a long time. Lube and antifreeze formulations always have many unlisted ingredients, some vital at ppm levels.

I'm not sayin' there is much in there other than mineral oil. I don't know. I'm sayin' that an MSDS is nothing like a spec sheet, and neither provides full disclosure. There is much proprietary information, and if you don't believe in the value of the snake oil and mouse milk, buy your motor oil at the dollar store.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Yes, Boeshield is great for use on the table saw. Definitely prevents corrosion, not sure about use as a lubricant. I also find that it leaves a bit of residue.
Boeshield leaves a wax residue. Useful for corrosion coating and bicycle chains but I would not be using it on ball bearings, you have to remove it with petrol solvent.

Mar 26, 2011
I've tried that.

If the track is dirty, a good idea. However, it dries sticky, so if the mast is configured so that the rain does not wash it out, it will be gummy for a few hoists. That said, the track will be cleaner there after.

Also consider mast track cleaners. Either buy some pre-fab bolt rope from Sailrite (glue on some towel if not fat enough)or buy one from Jasper and Bailey Sailmakers; they're really nice.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I don't even allow WD40 on my boat.
Why?

Water soluable.

I use WD40 to spray a wasp nest, then they can't fly, and ground stomp them..
Jim,
You must be quite a bit faster than me. When I am spraying a hornet's nest, I want a long distance stream to give me a good head start. WD40 would be a bit too up close and personal for me!!

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I am spraying a hornet's nest
I am with ya...
Wasps and Mud Dobbers don't attack in a group.
But I do have a can of that 15 foot spray stuff.
I can't run as fast as I used to.:(
Jim...

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
TAT. It'll knock a flying wasp out of the air. Sprayed on a nest near dusk will wipe out the nest. You've got to hang in for a good spray but it's 12 to 15 feet. It should probable be illegal but it works and if you're smart you won't get stung.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Dupont has a product, Dupont Dry Film Lubricant; Its colorless, waterproof, and dry similar to Sailkote. There is no mention that the Dry Film Lubricant contains Krytox as does Sailkote. Wondering if any of you have tried this product in place of Sailkote. A 14 oz can sells for $10.00. At approximately half the cost of Sailkote, I am going to give it a try.
OK, here's the update on Dupont Dry Film Lubricant vs SailKote; sorry but it doesn't hold a candle to SailKote.
Dry Film Lubricant is probably not a bad alternative for use around the house, Would not use it on the boat. It is Teflon based and leaves a heavy residue as seen on a glass table top; also has a grainy feel to it. Would definitely not use it on sails.
On the other hand, SailKote leaves only a slight residue when sprayed on a glass table top with no grainy feel. SailKote wins, hands down. Guess that the Dupont Krytox high performance lubricant in SailKote makes a big difference. Now if I can find it in a 16 oz can for a reasonable price......