McLube Sailkote Substitute

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Appears that Sailkote is no longer available in 14-16oz spray cans; now its available in 8oz spray only for approximately $13. Evidently, Sailkote is based on Dupont's Krytox, a high performance lubricant. I have used it over the years and its definitely good stuff for lubricating sheaves, turning blocks, etc. on my in mast roller furling system; however, I am always evaluating and looking for substitute products that provide comparable performance at less cost. Dupont has a product, Dupont Dry Film Lubricant; Its colorless, waterproof, and dry similar to Sailkote. There is no mention that the Dry Film Lubricant contains Krytox as does Sailkote. Wondering if any of you have tried this product in place of Sailkote. A 14 oz can sells for $10.00. At approximately half the cost of Sailkote, I am going to give it a try.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
In the past I've used a dry lubricant that PB Blaster makes. Worked well enough and is a lot cheaper. It is basically a spray teflon. Check the big box hardware stores.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
There are quite a few 'dry lubes' out there these days. Take your pick.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
In the past I've used a dry lubricant that PB Blaster makes. Worked well enough and is a lot cheaper. It is basically a spray teflon. Check the big box hardware stores.
Doesn't this leave a white residue?

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
leave a white residue
Maybe acceptable on a white sail but ugly on a premium carbon fiber grey sail.
If not clear, maybe there is a market for a color matching the sails product.

Nov 8, 2010
Maybe acceptable on a white sail but ugly on a premium carbon fiber grey sail.
If not clear, maybe there is a market for a color matching the sails product.

Or just a clear one. jeeze.

Nov 8, 2010
It is the Teflon® particles.;)
I know. That's my point. People use McLube for the exact reason that it leaves no residue. One Drop is totally different stuff than McLube. For different purposes.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I know. That's my point. People use McLube for the exact reason that it leaves no residue. One Drop is totally different stuff than McLube. For different purposes.
I've tried just about every dry-lubricant out there but found none I would use on our boat. As far as I've found there is only one McLube SailKote....

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
have used it over the years and its definitely good stuff for lubricating sheaves, turning blocks, etc. on my in mast roller furling system
I understood the SailKote, but if you look at OneDrop it is just Mineral Oil.
You can click on the MSDS in my link in those posts.

Since @BigEasy has in-mast furling, I assumed it was not for his sail cloth.
Jim...

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I have been using two: PB Blaster and Liquid Wrench. I liked them both. After a couple applications of the Liquid Wrench teflon, our main sail falls right down when the halyard is released. I don’t spray the sail, just the track!

Apr 28, 2005
Oday 302 Lake Perry, KS
For over 20 years I've used Boeshield T-9. It's got some connection with Boeing and was/is used in the airplane business. A guy who used to work on my first boat recommended it - he was a certified mechanic for commercial airplanes (and did amazing work on my boat - a real pro). It's colorless. Seems to work well. No residue. $19 for 12 oz. on Amazon. I've got both Boeshield and SailKote on the boat - not sure I can tell the difference. I just grab whatever comes up out of the tool bag.

Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
For over 20 years I've used Boeshield T-9.
That's what I use on the fence and table of my table saw. Wonderful stuff. I was going to use it on the boat, but since I wanted a can dedicated to the boat, I bought SailKote. I'll have to do an experiment this fall when I recoat my table saw...1/2 with T-9, half with SailKote.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
If you are looking for a bottom dollar sail glide/track lube, ordinary dish detergent does an amazing job. I learned that trick from the previous owner of Dalliance and used it until I got tired of reapplying it after heavy rains. I applied it with an epoxy syringe. Much neater than squirting it straight out of the bottle. Cheapest way to go, but requires reapplying on a regular basis and probably doesn’t help your wax job when it washes off.
I switched to SailKote a few years ago and think it’s great. One can seems to go a long way, so I don’t see the cost, or the smaller can being a big issue for me personally. Though I do resent, on principle, the cost premium attached to anything marketed for marine use.
Coincidentally, I just heard about the PB Dry Lube yesterday, in a conversation with two other sailboat owners about this very topic. My sail, track, glides and mast are all white, so a little white residue probably wouldn’t bother me. I may give it a try.
To add a little irony, the friend in this conversation with the most expensive boat by far, a beautiful Block Island 40, who has has much of his maintenance work done for him, uses.....
you guessed it, the dish detergent.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
For over 20 years I've used Boeshield T-9. It's got some connection with Boeing and was/is used in the airplane business. A guy who used to work on my first boat recommended it - he was a certified mechanic for commercial airplanes (and did amazing work on my boat - a real pro). It's colorless. Seems to work well. No residue. $19 for 12 oz. on Amazon. I've got both Boeshield and SailKote on the boat - not sure I can tell the difference. I just grab whatever comes up out of the tool bag.
This goes on all our turnbuckles. It’s amazing how much easier they turn when well lubricated and protected. As we adjust ours daily, it’s a big deal. Great stuff. I started using it when Selden Rigging Screw oil became impossible to find in the USA.

I use it for metal on metal. Torlon bearings get OneDrop. Every thing else gets SailKote.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
This goes on all our turnbuckles. It’s amazing how much easier they turn when well lubricated and protected. As we adjust ours daily, it’s a big deal. Great stuff. I started using it when Selden Screw oil became impossible to find in the USA.

I use it for metal on metal. Torlon bearings get OneDrop. Every thing else gets SailKote.
Oy! Not once did I consider lubricating the turnbuckles! Geez. Thanks Jack!