Maybe I have blundered and offended the sellers of two boats i have tried to buy?

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
It is a sign of the times I guess, people are untrusting generally. I thought maybe the classified ads on this SBO site would be a little different. i really want an O'Day 25 with the centerboard to replace my O'Day 22 MH (4'11" headroom). I am living abroad in Bayou Bonfouca. i previously lived on a Catalina 25 swing keel (see avatar) but temporary health issues and a misguided now ex-wife ended that. I have cash and an income. But do not have any family or friend connections. If any of you guys could refer me to a 25 or 26 with a communicative seller I sure would appreciate it. thank you Jimmy Mc

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
When I was looking I found that I could not get people to call me back or text or answer messages that I left on their phones. I finally connected with an owner in Augusta, Georgia. I drove to Augusta from Atlanta (about two and a half hours) and looked at a Nimble 20. I offered the owner his asking price and he turned my down. I thanked him for his time and drove back to Atlanta. He then emailed me three days later and asked if I was still interested. I was left speechless. After that, I just kept looking and did not worry about what sellers said or did.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Just to add in here on this - I was just contacted by a seller that I'd contacted 2 years ago with no response until now. I get a "Sorry for the delay in getting back to you...." Well, I'm no longer in the market to buy his boat, or any other at this point..

dj

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Well, I'm no longer in the market to buy his boat, or any other at this point..
DLJ that is because you traveled to Florida and a speculative adventure, and the owner was less than upfront with the condition of his boat. :eek::facepalm:

So you headed home a bit unhappy:( only to be rewarded with a wonderful boat discovery:dancing: pretty much in your backyard. :biggrin:

You lucky devil.:kick:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
DLJ that is because you traveled to Florida and a speculative adventure, and the owner was less than upfront with the condition of his boat. :eek::facepalm:

So you headed home a bit unhappy:( only to be rewarded with a wonderful boat discovery:dancing: pretty much in your backyard. :biggrin:

It does take a lot of time to find the boat you want. It's been a long road with a lot of twists and turns, that's for sure...

I did find it rather amusing that a guy I contacted 2 years ago just answered me a couple days ago. Rather glad actually, he had a good boat, but my current boat is definitely better... Sometimes you just have to let the universe unfold as it should...

dj

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH

There you go. Fate looking out for you.

dj, I expect an invite this Summer. I want to see your Puerto Rican beauty in her new home.

-Will

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
I FINALLY got connected to a cooperative seller with an O'Day 25, 1985 centerboard model. so far we have established an ok working communication. I sure hope it holds and I finally get aboard her and cruising. My plan is to live aboard, cruise, and enjoy my freedom and retirement. thanks for all of your inputs even those I disagreed with and ignored. ALL were helpful and I am grateful to be a member of this community. jimmy mc

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
I found what i wanted and she is a beauty. A 1985 O'Day 26 CB. She is so well taken care of and looks new. We made a buy/sell agreement online finished today and i will inspect and make a deposit next Tuesday. I am so happy and looking forward to move aboard and cruise the loop then home back in south Louisiana.
Thanks to all for your suggestions and advice. I am eager to join the cruisers forum.
jimmy mc

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats Jimmy. I love a story that has a happy ending.

Will be looking for the stories of your cruising.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Nice looking boat. Your plans sound exciting. Let us know your itinerary when you finally shove off on that Loop trip. There are SBO members everywhere along the way.

-Will

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Thank you, I hope i see some of the SBO members out there.
jimmy mc

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
I FINALLY got connected to a cooperative seller with an O'Day 25, 1985 centerboard model. so far we have established an ok working communication. I sure hope it holds and I finally get aboard her and cruising. My plan is to live aboard, cruise, and enjoy my freedom and retirement. thanks for all of your inputs even those I disagreed with and ignored. ALL were helpful and I am grateful to be a member of this community. jimmy mc
I knew it would work out. Sometimes, time takes time.

Very cool.

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
the seller corrected me it is an O'Day 26 CB model. 30 in board up 6 feet board down. i wanted it so i can up the Bayou and sail in the deep water. I am going to inspect Leaving the Bayou on Tuesday. She is in storage now on the hard. That seems to be the custom up north where it freezes. But its good cause i can check out the bottom. The cushions and other equipment are in a separate dry storage. I am eager to see her in real life. What else could get my old heart excited and motivated like a new boat?
Women come and go but a boat is life, freedom, and adventure. ha! jmc