Maybe I have blundered and offended the sellers of two boats i have tried to buy?

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
I have it all set up to travel to see the prospect boat i want to buy. A 1985 O'Day 25 CB. i plan on cruising the loop and the Gulf of Mexico. I was wondering if any of you could/would give me some pointers on specifec things i need to check and what should I be on the look out for that may be indicators of problems or future problem areas. thanks jmc

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
If you are talking about doing the Great Loop here is someone who did it on a Hunter 260.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I have it all set up to travel to see the prospect boat i want to buy. A 1985 O'Day 25 CB. i plan on cruising the loop and the Gulf of Mexico. I was wondering if any of you could/would give me some pointers on specifec things i need to check and what should I be on the look out for that may be indicators of problems or future problem areas. thanks jmc
I'm not overly familiar with the specific boat you are looking at, you may wish to ask questions/read posts in the section of this forum on the O'day's. I don't know if there's an owners group, you could look for one or someone here may know of one.

I'm attaching a check list that Pam Wall sent me when I was planning to go look at my current boat. Not everything on this list may apply to you, but it's a good framework:

Down Below: Carla's List for Purchasing a Used Boat www.pamwall.com

Look at windlass locker to inspect chain for rust and condition below deck of windlass,

Inspect head stay chain plate and if there is an inner forestay make sure there is a chain plate attached to the hull

Look at all thru hulls, ask where is head intake and output, sink intake and output and check all thru hulls and hose clamps

Check chain plates for rust etc. look at fastenings

Inspect the bottom of the mast and electrical wiring that comes out of it at the bottom also check where the mast goes through the deck to make sure it is waterproofed

Look at wiring panel, behind if you can, and see how it looks

Check all bilge pumps and make sure they work, bilge high water alarm?

Under galley sink check the thru hull fittings and all hose clamps

Check out water pressure system and hot water that hot water works and look at hot water heater and hoses to the engine

Look in the bilge look for standing water and oil and dirt and loose hardware

Inspect engine, and generator, fuel filter, see if it has a vacuum gauge on the fuel filter, see how easy/difficult to change oil, get engine hours from meter, check all hoses and hose clamps, white fuzz around hose clamps means salt water leaking, general condition (oil leaks, rust, engine beds, where to check engine oil and transmission,)

Check where prop shaft goes thru the hull for leakage, cutlass bearing and stuffing box

Check the steering system, look for rust etc.

Electronics and do they work all wiring looks good

Galley, solenoid for propane stove

Under floorboards, tanks, wiring, bilge pumps, traces of water or oil, general condition, water tanks and fuel tanks their condition

Check the batteries, for age, for tie down, wiring

Galley, check refrig and freezer, temp gauges, thermostat,

Lee cloths, hatches, toilets no squirting water from pumps

Check sinks and thru hulls and foot pumps and electric water pressure pumps, and hot water spigot

Is there a water maker? what kind, does it work???

Check the overhead liner, condition,

ON DECK

Check roller furling genoa, check condition of the sunbrella cover and stitching and check the roller furling system, the drum, make sure there is a double Jaw toggle in the turnbuckle at the bottom of the head stay, link plates would be good too. This should also be done for inner forestay and staysail only thing this does not need is the link plates.

Windlass condition and chain and lead to anchors, foot switches up and down, what kind of anchors, anchor snubber (35 feet of half inch three strand nylon and use a rolling hitch on the chain.)

Running back stays for the staysail, track, car, condition (can replace wire and tackles with T-900 line)

Liferaft, and placement thinking about where tender can be lashed on deck, check for in certification

Downwind Pole, stowed on mast up on track is best. Check for fore and after guys, outboard end topping lift, etc. See my article on Downwind Poles on www.pamwall.com

Condition of lexan and metal on hatches or cracks in plastic hatches and port holes, or what they are made of and manufacturer

Condition of mast, chalky, corrosion bubbles, and peeling, check fasteners which are stainless steel on aluminum and replace and use Tef-Gel with new ss fasteners

Mast steps, do not use rivets, only machine screws with Tef-Gel

Check all leads to cockpit, for being fair, no chafe and fair lead around or thru them to cockpit, check all rope clutches in cockpit to make sure they work. Check all running rigging for condition, if faded or chafed, or very stiff, it will have to be replaced

Check all wire terminals for rust or cracking, check wire for rust and barber poling, and check turnbuckles and cotter pins in turnbuckles, and chain plates on deck, if there are covers on the turnbuckles and shrouds check for corrosion. Any rust is a sign of trouble.

Check the spreaders and make sure they are not droopy, in other words they should have a slight upward positioning on upper shroud.

Check running lights for working and corrosion

Check lifelines, wire terminals and condition of the wire and gates and stantions where fastened to the deck (if there is rust there is a problem)

Check steering pedestal, compass, outside instrumentation, hatch boards, MOB equipment, Outboard bracket and hoist, steering wheel and lock, winches condition (rust and turn them) Lewmar the top cap is probably deteriorating, grey instead of black, see if self tailing or open, auto pilot working, controls in cockpit, Ram Mic, engine controls work, manual bilge pump and handle, cockpit table, boarding ladder on the stern or lifeline gate, condition of the deck and cockpit sole, depth sounder easy to read, bimini top and dodger,

Look at the water line for cleanliness no grass or barnacles

If you want the boat, get a really good surveyor, and a rigging surveyor to go up the mast and check all standing rigging.

dj

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Jimmy, I had an 82 O'day 25. Common problems in O 25's and I'm sure should also be checked in O 26's are:

Chain plates leaking allowing water to seep into the bulkheads and rotting them. Then the chain plates can pull out of the rotten bulkhead causing a dismasting. Some say O'day used poor sealing methods around deck hardware but just as many owners of older boats talk about resealing the deck hardware.

If it has a factory outboard mount, the stern bulkhead on the side of the OB has plywood sandwiched between the inner/outer fiberglass layers. Poor sealing allows water to enter the plywood and rot it. I saw one extreme example of this on an O'day 25 that major spider cracking on the stern. The owner was alerted to the rotten plywood by the server spider cracks.
I don't know if the 26's with inboards have this issue.

If it has an inboard, of the four I know in our marina, 2 had to have new diesel tanks installed due to corrosion allowing leaks under the tank.

My 82 had only had one under water thru hull, for the galley sink. It had a gate valve for shut off. It was frozen open and the internal gate was corroded away.

As with any older boat, check any deck penetrations for signs of leakage.

O'day 25s and 26s are very popular in my area. Good luck.

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Thanks Ward, experience is the best teacher. The boat is in Tuckerton N J, Dockiside Cafe & Marina on Green ST on the hard. i will be up there the 15 and 16 checking it out. I am leaving for there this morn. jimmy

Last edited:

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
That's not far from my boat. I'll in the area on Thursday, maybe Wed. Let me know if you want a second set of eyes on it.
Sorry i did not see this before i left to go up there. I did inspect the boat and made a tenative offer that included negotiating the cost of a hull cleaning/sanding down to gel-coat. if this comes thru i will come back up there and check out the work and appy barrier coating and bottom paint myself. jmc

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Sorry i did not see this before i left to go up there. I did inspect the boat and made a tenative offer that included negotiating the cost of a hull cleaning/sanding down to gel-coat. if this comes thru i will come back up there and check out the work and appy barrier coating and bottom paint myself.
I will contact you before my next trip. I would appreciate your assistance and any local knowledge of sailing into and out of the Bay. I will sail the boat either North to NY and the Hudson or South to Delaware Bay.
have posted a new thread in the general questions forumn on issue i found with the boat. Thanks for your interest. jimmy mc