Maxwell Winch replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 23, 2006
- - -
1984 h34. My Maxwell Winches need repair/replacement. I don't race the boat. The price per unit can be quite expensive. I'd like some help on how to proceed.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
There is some good service info on this site, under "Boat Info, Downloads" The original Maxwell 25 self tailers that I have are still fine and are easily serviced.. As Steve asks, What is actually wrong with them?

Dec 29, 2010
Hunter 25.5 Point Venture, TX
If you need spare parts so that you can maintain your Maxwell winches, I suggest you contact Allen Hutton at the Australian Yacht Winch Co. Here is his e-mail address: winches@attglobal.net

He can supply you drawings of your Maxwell winches (so you can figure out what parts you need). And then he can also supply you the replacement parts you need. The only downside is that it takes a couple of weeks or so to get the parts, because he is in Australia.

My Hunter 25.5 has two 30-year old Maxwell 17STA sheet winches and a Maxwell 14A halyard winch. Allen has been able to supply me the parts that I have needed to keep these original winches operating.

Be advised, however, in addition to ordinary shop tools you may also need an arbor press to properly perform some of the maintenance (like pressing a new plastic cap onto an alloy drum ... or pressing a new plastic bushing onto a drive shaft). But if you have the tools ... Allen can supply you the parts ... and you will be able to keep your winches operating like new.

Sep 21, 2009
Hunter 34 Comox
I was wondering the same thing about my old Maxwell's and got hold of Allan at Hutton in Australia. I was hoping to get hold of some winch handles that fit these. After throwing it around in emails for a bit, he offered to ship me 4 new Huttons of similar size, shipping included with the return of my old winches to him for 2000. Not a bad deal really. The Maxwells still work fine although I would really like self tailing cabin tops.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Maxwell winch handles

I was wondering the same thing about my old Maxwell's and got hold of Allan at Hutton in Australia. I was hoping to get hold of some winch handles that fit these. After throwing it around in emails for a bit, he offered to ship me 4 new Huttons of similar size, shipping included with the return of my old winches to him for 2000. Not a bad deal really. The Maxwells still work fine although I would really like self tailing cabin tops.
FWIW, 10 years ago I bought 2 Sea Dog winch handles that fit the Maxwell winches. I know the company still exists but I dont know if they have modified the handle to fit the many more brands on the market that have a deeper attachment for the handle. And yes I also would like self-tailing on the cabin top but, being frugal, as long as the Maxwell work flawlessly, boat money is better spent elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.