(Max) Optimum angle of heel for Catalina 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 6, 2006
Catalina 34 Eastern Passage, N.S., Canada
As a new to me Catalina 30 owner, I have been "experimenting" with various combinations of headsail furling (150 Genoa) combined with the standard rig main (unreefed). I would like to know what other Catalina 30 owners have found to be efficient, and comfortable for 15, 20, 25 and 30 knot winds using this configuration. Any observations are appreciated. Thanks, Barry

B

Big Joe

angle of heel

I am not fortunate enough to own a Catalina 30 so I cannot share my settings. I do wonder what heeling angle you get at 15, 20,25 and especially 30 knots with an unreefed mainsail? Big Joe

Oct 25, 2005
Catalina 30 Banderas Bay, Mexico
Comfort and speed are different

What is comfortable for you and your crew is subjective ... What is fastest (most efficient) is: 6 knots True = 9 knots apparent, full sails and 4 degrees of heel 10 knots True = 13-14 knots apparent, full sails and about 15 degrees heel 12 knots True = 16 knots apparent, full sails and 17 degrees heel 16 knots True = 19-20 knot apparent, full sails and 21 degrees heel 20 knots True = 23 knots apparent, first reef and 22 degrees heel Above 20 knots true, reduce sail to keep heel when close hauled to under 25 degrees. In 30+ a double reef and a 100% jib keeps the boat at 20-25 degrees heel and sailing nicely. These numbers are for a fully crewed boat. A full crew for a C30 is 1225 pounds of crew ... 6 or 7 175 - 200 pound guys. If you are sailing short handed you will need to reef much sooner ... the 20-25 degree rule should be your guide, there is no need to keep the C30 under 20 degrees of heel ... unless you or your crew is not comfortable at higher angles.

May 24, 2004
Catalina 310 Virginia Beach, VA
Keep her flat for speed

If you heel too much, the rudder becomes a brake. When the wind picks up and you slow down, it is time to reef. Fairwinds!

D

Dave

Heel Angle

Barry: I am a Cat 27 owner, so take the following as you may....I am a seat-ot-the-pants sailor....I like to use the angle of heel as my sailing guide...Most boats seem to be designed to sail at about 20 degrees heel for max speed and comfort ....soooooo try to maintain that as a guide...as the wind increases I "crack" the main a bit to keep the heel at 20 degrees...a bit more I would "reel in the jib" ( I am hanked so I don't have that as an option") Then comes a bit more "pressure" on the helm....time to reef....Heel will then take care of itself and when the the heel again increases...In your case...reel in the jib a bit...heel increases (then comes the pressure on the helm...reef again)....you get the idea....I race a 200 mile race in Alaska every summer....works for me and I can't tell you the wind speeds, but my crew and I am comfortable and don't scare ourselves to death....P.S. my fellow sailors tell me from time to time what winds we have been enduring and you don't want to know...Keep the faith...DAVE

Status
Not open for further replies.