Mast wiring/electronics install

taboni

Jul 17, 2015
Catalina 27 Fair Haven, NJ
Mast wiring/electronics install cost

Just trying to get a sense of how much a job like this costs to have done at the yard (mast is already unstepped) I'm rewiring the mast, replacing anchor and steaming lights plus adding a wind instrument (cups/vane/head unit).

Anyone had this done professionally? I'm thinking labor hours only as I have the parts already.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2015
catalina 2-34 oregon
I am not sure what your long term goals are for your boat, day sailing, cruiser, racer ect. What type of boat? So people do not have to research. What is wrong with your wiring? You should include this info in your post.

As far as basic info, get a book on the subject and research it. The one book I refer to a lot for all basic info is "the seaworthy offshore sailboat". I love this book for all of the basics.

What you need to concierge mostly is what equipment you wish to run. On page 114 "electricity" you will find basic info. How many batteries, keeping batteries charged, generators, appliances and their electrical appetites, inverters, smart alternator regulators, WIRING and WIRING COLOR CODE.

What you are asking is like saying, what does it cost to buy a house? Get an education on what you want in a boat. Use this book or one like it and detail what your dreams/aspersions for this are. Then, you can define cost and man hours. You may even have the courage to do it yourself after?

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
If you are asking the question about what it costs to have a job done professionally it stands to reason you are looking to save money (aren't we all?). The 'Yacht Club' members who own really expensive yachts also have the pocket change to have everything done professionally and never ask these questions. For us mere mortals, having a boat of a certain size that requires haul-outs for maintenance and yard storage requires knowledge and forethought into what services are going to cost before we ever buy a boat that size. We also have to possess some basic and maybe even advanced skills to accomplish jobs we can do ourselves that would otherwise break the bank or cost more than the boat is worth. Trust me on this, ask me how I know about osmotic blistering, LOL.

Wiring a Mast and installing new instruments is not a hard job. You need a basic knowledge of 12V systems and wiring, use the correct connections/fittings/hardware. Should only take you a day to accomplish. Don't be afraid. I hope you are planning to check/inspect all of your mast hardware while you have the chance having the mast currently un-stepped and horizontal. Re-bed stainless hardware touching your mast, clean up any galv corrosion, replace fasteners as needed, and don't be shy with the Tef-gel... You'll be glad you did and probably won't need to worry about it again for several years.

taboni

Jul 17, 2015
Thanks actually the reason behind my query was a dispute with the yard over how much labor was involved after I got the bill. My own fault for not getting it all in writing beforehand. I just figured it was about a full day's labor but got a sticker shock.

I didn't blink an eye at the cost of rebuilding my engine, but this one threw me.

My own fault

Jul 23, 2015
catalina 2-34 oregon
Thanks actually the reason behind my query was a dispute with the yard over how much labor was involved after I got the bill. My own fault for not getting it all in writing beforehand. I just figured it was about a full day's labor but got a sticker shock.

I didn't blink an eye at the cost of rebuilding my engine, but this one threw me.

My own fault
Well, do share. What did they do? What was your basic charges? What yard or state? I purchased a boat, not thinking it through. Made a trade and accepted some flaws that I noted and found more later. No place to keep her so, I am moving her from Port to port. Right now 2.5 hrs each way away. She was 3. Having issues with the diesel bugs I killed and fouled the perfectly running engine. Lol so much more. The costs are absorbant and she is 34 ft long. Not so easy to just pull and go but, I plan to sell everything and hit the sea once she is done.

taboni

Jul 17, 2015
replaced existing depth gauge with new one. New mast wiring (mast was unstepped). Replaced existing vhf antenna, anchor light, steaming light. Installed new wind instrument (vane/cups/gauge went in place of speedo in cockpit)....I had all the materials but they cited 20 hrs labor at $125 per in NJ. Find it hard to believe it was 3 full days of labor when the only new thing that went in was the masthead wind apparatus. Maybe I am wrong.

Jul 23, 2015
catalina 2-34 oregon
$125 an hour? That seems high. I have seen around here for $55-$95 an hr. You could probably get a sailer who lives in port to do the job a lot cheaper but, you would probably not get the same quality? Assuming they did a quality job at that price.
3 days 24 hrs does not seem too far of from 20 hrs? You were not there, you did not have to do anything for them, right? Nothing was stolen? Chances are, if it was at a yard they are licenced, bonded and insured.
You should have piece of mind it was done right. The cost of de-masting your boat again, the yard would not want to eat that so, I'm sure they took extra time to check it out. You have that assurance. It all comes at a cost.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
replaced existing depth gauge with new one. New mast wiring (mast was unstepped). Replaced existing vhf antenna, anchor light, steaming light. Installed new wind instrument (vane/cups/gauge went in place of speedo in cockpit)....I had all the materials but they cited 20 hrs labor at $125 per in NJ. Find it hard to believe it was 3 full days of labor when the only new thing that went in was the masthead wind apparatus. Maybe I am wrong.
You must have called the Hinckley Morris repair shop.

You got ripped off.... take them to court.