Mast Up Compression Post Fix - Hunter 34

Aug 25, 2020
Hunter 34 Kentucky Lake
Hi, folks. First post, so take it easy on me. I'm pretty sure I've read about every post available on the compression post problem/fix available. Fortunately, there are many! Thanks to all who shared their information. I need to do the fix, no worries. My question is about doing the fix without removing the mast. I'm in the water on Kentucky Lake. Unfortunately, there aren't many options for mast removal in my area. It can be done, but would be a royal pain in the...you know. I read Brian's great write up - all done with mast in place. It just "feels" like a risky proposition - whatever can go wrong, will go wrong. But, I might be overthinking it a bit. What say you?

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I assume Brian used some kind of temporary support on either side of the compression post to support the cabin top while he worked on it. That is what you would need to do. Also, loosen up the rigging. I would work on getting the mast removed a little harder.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I used a car jack on a cinder block on some plywood and a post to the deck under the mast. In my case there was no compression post. I was shoring up the fiberglass lower skin from deflecting from the rigging tension. Yes, loosen the rigging. Lally columns aren't too expensive and would take some of the drama out of the car jack.

DJAY

Apr 16, 2018
Hunter 31 Saylorville Lake
I did it on an H31; very similar construction to your H34. Loosen rig, two jacks (I used two bottle jacks) and some 4X4 posts to shore up the crossmember/headliner. Jack carefully, (yes you'll hear creaks etc.) and the post falls loose. Make your repairs as well documented herein and reassemble.

Aug 25, 2020
Hunter 34 Kentucky Lake
Thanks, folks. Starting to feel better already!

Shemander - I've been thinking lally columns are the way to go with this. I've just not had good luck with bottle jacks - and sitting one on top of a 4x4 post? Again, with me, what can go wrong...

I really wish I could find the perfect lally column to complete the fix. After all, that's what they are made for - holding vertical loads. Going to keep chasing that idea - would be so much more easy if I can find the correct size.

DJAY - having never messed with the rig, how much would you suggest on the loosening part? 2-3 full turns do the trick? I think that's my biggest concern is over-loosening this thing and it getting away from me.

DJAY

Apr 16, 2018
Hunter 31 Saylorville Lake
I don't recall exactly but three turns to start sounds fine... unless they are sloppy loose already. Loosen some, jack a little bit til rig is snug. If post isn't loose yet repeat. Remember the backstay as well, but you'll get most of it at the chainplates.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I've just not had good luck with bottle jacks - and sitting one on top of a 4x4 post?
I would think you might want the bottle jack on the bottom and the post on top, would
leave a smaller mark if it fell :)

Have you considered point loading on the floor in an area that might not be up to the task?

I’ve seen a device that holds a 4x4 in a steel “cup” so it doesn’t slip off. The cup is welded to a thread adjusting mechanism.

Given you are doing this mast up is the boat in the water? Wave action could make things “interesting” ;)

Aug 25, 2020
Hunter 34 Kentucky Lake
A few pics of the start of the compression post fix. Good news - no rot detected so far. Going to lift the roof this week and brace with lally columns while I figure out the repair.

Another quick question - I'm thinking about going wire-free for the brace install, other than the grounding wire. Reason is I was looking at the Garmin GNX Wireless Sail Pack 43. Anybody have any thoughts on the wireless solution? Mast is 45ft high and published reception on the Garmin is 50ft. So, right on the edge.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018
Hunter H34 0828 New Orleans
I did the same fix on my H34. Removed the mast a reworked the sheaves and rigging attachments at top.

u could definitely keep the mast in place. Just be sure to loosen all 6 of the shrouds. I used 2 of these braces. Forgot to take picture with both...
28E2E645-BCEA-4EC2-9AB5-F9F3A16D6201.jpeg

I screwed the jack to the 4x4.
while jacking, always keep an eye on your shroud tension.

on wiring: u still need a VHF; Steaming; Deck and Anchor light... I rewired all of that with the mast off...

Shannon

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I used two bottle jacks and 2x4 cribbing and columns. Most challenging is dispersing the weight in the floor and getting as close to the bilge as possible. Remember to loosen the rig first

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I have an ‘83 H31 with a 47’ mast. I tried the wireless Garmin wind product for about 9 months. Worked well for first few months, then started working intermittently. I spent about six months with Garmin support and literally replaced every component one part at a time trying to see where the problem was. Never got it fixed, I quit on it, returned the wireless unit and installed the wired unit. Never a problem with it since.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Agree with HMT2 on wireless. I have the G Wind 2 wireless. my H31 is at the upper end of their stated range and I live with intermittent signal.

Aug 25, 2020
Hunter 34 Kentucky Lake
Thanks for the wireless replies, folks. I had a feeling I was on the edge with reception. I’ll stick with a wired connection for now. Decided to replace the floor while I had the chance. Got everything removed last weekend, but did not have my photographer (wife) with me, so more picts later this week. It’s not pretty. Stay tuned.

Jan 5, 2018
Hunter H34 0828 New Orleans
Looking forward to those ‘floor out’ pics. Always like seeing what’s under the hood!