Mast Trailer

Oct 20, 2023
C&C 30 MKI Fredericton
I had to do this to transport my mast to a fabricator for repair after I launched once. My trailer has a tongue extension. With the extension, fully extended, the mast only overhung past the back of the trailer by a few feet. The mast was a pretty close to the hitch at the front. Do use padding or at least wood blocks so you don't end up with marks on the trailer or mast
I like the padding Idea, definitely do not want to nick the mast, or worse.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
If you can leave the boat on poppets at the yard it would be simple to rig up some slings between the uprights on the trailer you have and have the mast rest on those. You could also have it angled so it stuck out in FRONT of the trailer and went up over the back of the tow vehicle instead of sticking out the back. You'd need to do something to offset it from the forward most support, but that shouldn't be difficult.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
lol, a friend of mine works at a sail loft in Halifax NS, the owner of the mast (not my friend) strapped the mast to the top of thier station wagon, drove it right through the city.
I had the trailer and mast hooked up for about four days as I drove around the city and suburban highways. Luckily visibility is excellent without the boat on the trailer

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@PaulK
There are many who do not know how to navigate this site and that includes some that would surprise you. Can you share how to access the bio that tells the member's boat which would be appreciated.
@tom154ca
As a former dealer, there is no one size that fits all regarding transport of sailboat masts. Over the years, I represented Beneteau, Catalina,, Hunter, Precision, MacGregor and others which is why I am very familiar moving sailboats and masts. The initial information did not include boat model/make, length of mast, security at the marina which would have been helpful when describing the full picture so responses can be more detailed. When I saw the picture of a long mast on a short trailer with the overhang and mast tilted upward raised concerns. Not only did I look at this from the standpoint of being a dealer but also as a prior investigator.
In fact, I handled sailboat claims for several insurance carriers too. Therefore, there is nothing more to say it is your mast and you will decide how to transport it.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
I have a mast trailer and it is also designed to hold a cradle up to a certain size, but I have other trailers to do that job. I took a few photos a while back and I will post them when I get them on this computer. Not great photos, but maybe you can make sense of them. No were near as fancy (or expensive as that one from Texas). That seems overkill, which of course is not a bad thing - just costs more.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
@PaulK
There are many who do not know how to navigate this site and that includes some that would surprise you. Can you share how to access the bio that tells the member's boat which would be appreciated.
If you look to the left of each post, it shows the poster's avatar (mine is a picture of our boat). Under that is additional information about the poster, showing when they first signed up onto the website, and other things that the poster has placed in their profile, often their current boat and home port. You apparently have indicated NA for your home port, @Crazy Dave Condon, and nothing for your boat.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
That is what I'm doing now, I use a 16 foot utility trailer with the mast positioned over the truck. I have attached a photo of my current setup.
I would think that your setup should work fine given that it is a stout mast. to minimize the bouncing, I would connect a nylon line from the top and bottom back to the trailer to put just a bit of downward pressure to keep it from bouncing so much. A little "prebend" goes a long way towards stiffening the rig [whether it is vertical or horizontal.]

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If you look to the left of each post, it shows the poster's avatar (mine is a picture of our boat). Under that is additional information about the poster, showing when they first signed up onto the website, and other things that the poster has placed in their profile, often their current boat and home port. You apparently have indicated NA for your home port, @Crazy Dave Condon, and nothing for your boat.
Hey @Crazy Dave Condon
If you were looking at the site on your phone you won’t be able to see the information in the avatar that @PaulK indicated unless you turn your phone sideways… then you will be able to see it

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@rgranger

Thanks for that. Use to looking in the standard position but as a former investigator it would be easier to include the mfg and model for better responses

When you returning home?