Mast Trailer

Oct 20, 2023
C&C 30 MKI Fredericton
Hello, I currently remove my mast every Fall and install every Spring. I would like to make a proper mast trailer to be able to take the mast home for safe storage. For the time being I rigged some diy stands that are bolted onto my 16 foot utility trailer. This is definitely not idea and the osculation of the ends of the mast concern me. I was wondering if anyone has made a mast trailer that they could share some insight and photos, I would really appreciate it. Cheers

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have hauled my boat's mast on a boat trailer before. It was not designed for that purpose but it worked just fine. Designing a trailer that you plan to use only once a year seems like a large investment. Is there any other goal that would benefit from a trailer? Maybe you could double dip and get that trailer and modify it to haul your mast once each season.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
Correct me if I'm wrong . You are asking about a mast for a 30 foot ? I'm thinking that mast would be 40 foot long at least ?

May 25, 2004
Catalina 400 mkII Harbor
i sold a 52' mast and they brought it back to texas on a mast trailer, thought i had a picture. ill look

Oct 20, 2023
C&C 30 MKI Fredericton
I have hauled my boat's mast on a boat trailer before. It was not designed for that purpose but it worked just fine. Designing a trailer that you plan to use only once a year seems like a large investment. Is there any other goal that would benefit from a trailer? Maybe you could double dip and get that trailer and modify it to haul your mast once each season.
That is what I'm doing now, I use a 16 foot utility trailer with the mast positioned over the truck. I have attached a photo of my current setup.

Attachments

Oct 20, 2023
C&C 30 MKI Fredericton
i sold a 52' mast and they brought it back to texas on a mast trailer, thought i had a picture. ill look
That would be great if you could share a picture. I would really appreciate it. Cheers.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I have transported a mast on top of my car supported by an extension ladder. It was only a few miles. Longer distances would create significant puckering.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I had to do this to transport my mast to a fabricator for repair after I launched once. My trailer has a tongue extension. With the extension, fully extended, the mast only overhung past the back of the trailer by a few feet. The mast was a pretty close to the hitch at the front. Do use padding or at least wood blocks so you don't end up with marks on the trailer or mast

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Most states have laws pertaining to overhang from the backend of a trailer with red flags and/ or lights attached. Otherwise you could be ticketed. The standard overhang is generally six feet

If the mast overhangs like on the short trailer pictured above, when turning, the overhang extends out striking other vehicles in their lane of travel. In fact, it is dangerous when the mast angled upward damaging masts, other vehicles, injuries and so on. I have seen this as a sailboat dealer and former investigator.

So if trailering a mast, be cautious. The mast being transported on the long trailer by @Project_Mayhemn is a good example of transporting properly.

May 25, 2004
Catalina 400 mkII Harbor
thanks dave,
just to be clear, i dont recommend this from my pictures, not my area of expertise.
this is just what the guy who bough my mast used to pick it up in michigan and bring it to houston. he bought a hurricane boat with no mast.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
According to his profile, the OP has a C&C 30 Mk1. Taking the mast home might be a good idea if you have seen how some yards leave masts stored over the winter, with R/F gear sticking out, foils twisted, and spreaders banging & chafing against other gear. The C&C 30 Mk 1 has a P measurement (gooseneck to top of mainsail) of 34'. Adding at least 6', since it looks like it is keel stepped, would make it more than 40' long on the road, plus the length of the towing vehicle. Not a good candidate for the roads in my neighborhood, and would something that long require a special driver's license? YMMD.

Oct 20, 2023
C&C 30 MKI Fredericton
I have transported a mast on top of my car supported by an extension ladder. It was only a few miles. Longer distances would create significant puckering.
lol, a friend of mine works at a sail loft in Halifax NS, the owner of the mast (not my friend) strapped the mast to the top of thier station wagon, drove it right through the city.

Oct 20, 2023
C&C 30 MKI Fredericton
According to his profile, the OP has a C&C 30 Mk1. Taking the mast home might be a good idea if you have seen how some yards leave masts stored over the winter, with R/F gear sticking out, foils twisted, and spreaders banging & chafing against other gear. The C&C 30 Mk 1 has a P measurement (gooseneck to top of mainsail) of 34'. Adding at least 6', since it looks like it is keel stepped, would make it more than 40' long on the road, plus the length of the towing vehicle. Not a good candidate for the roads in my neighborhood, and would something that long require a special driver's license? YMMD.
that is correct, the mast is 40'3", leaving it at the yard is exactly what you stated, also add theft, lots and lots of theft.
I have no problem towing 40 feet, the boat trailer is 35 feet long. You do not need a special license to tow 40 feet on a class 5 license. the max on a class 5 is 53 feet. my last travel trailer was 37 feet, really not an issue.

Oct 20, 2023
C&C 30 MKI Fredericton
What makes your mast unsafe to leave it with the boat. I ask as a trailer sailor I think my mast is safest to be with the boat as it is equally protected there.
unfortunately there is a lot of theft at the yard, I do not store the mast on the boat as I normally work on the boat under a large enclosure, which would make for a difficult time.