mast step on ODAY 272

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 27, 2011
Oday 272 Pensacola
I don't know how a 22 hinges, but a 272 mast is much heavier/larger than a 22. I previously owned a Columbia 23, and I could almost raise it myself (need a second person just to guide it when lowering/raising). I wouldn't try that with a 272's mast.

There is one pivot point where an unthreaded bolt (I forget the name) holds the mast to the step. I believe it is located at bottom aft portion of mast. That one pin and 4 stays keep mast upright. I don't have a picture handy, but may be able to get one this week... The one that I have does not look exactly like mine (as best I can remember - have had 272 for little over a year and have raised mast once, never taken it down). Open with Windows/Fax viewer and you should be able to magnify.

Attachments

Dr. C

Sep 22, 2012
Oday 272 Dillon
I have a 272. There is no hinge on mine. The mast has these feet which slide out of clip things, which on mine are broken. I'm wondering if this is a part that can be replaced.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Does the mast step hinge on the 272 like it does on the 22 for ease in dropping the mast?
As far as I know the 272 didn't have a hinged tabernacle. There are a lot of control lines and halyards that come through that mast and lead over the cabin to the cockpit on both sides of the companionway. You would either need to have the mast lifted with a crane or you could build some sheer legs or A frame and use it to raise/lower the mast. Here is an example of how the sheer legs are mounted and used to take a mast down on a Catalina 27.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpFhnYQmRYs

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I have a 272 and it does have a hinged mast base although not a substantial hinge arrangement. Here is the link to the RIGRITE listing. http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Zspar/Z-Mast_steps_hinged.html
Have you raised/lowered your mast with this hinge since you've own this boat? Which way does the mast go up, over the stern or the bow?

The Z-Spar tabernacle that came with my mast wasn't too substantial either but it worked.
Years ago when I lost my mast, I had Rig-Rite rig me up a new mast with a stainless steel Dwyer hinge. The cheap French made cast Aluminum extrusion that was on my other mast had a built in sheave for my Jib halyard and I hated it with a passion.
There's a story behind the type of mast plug they made up for my mast that I'd rather not mention on this forum. I will say this about that; This is what I'm using now for a mast extrusion. I constructed it myself just last year and it works.

Attachments

Dec 27, 2011
Oday 272 Pensacola
I think mine is more like Old-Style Deck Plate for Z230, Z260 Mast Foot w/ Sheaves: Z-1112L: for deck plate and Mast Foot w/ Sheaves for Z145: Z-145SF-20: for foot that goes inide mast. OBSOLETE is the one word that stood out for me. As I remember it, it had only one pin vs 2 holes shown on 145SF. Maybe 2nd hole is for something else - I only remember one pin.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I think mine is more like Old-Style Deck Plate for Z230, Z260 Mast Foot w/ Sheaves: Z-1112L: for deck plate and Mast Foot w/ Sheaves for Z145: Z-145SF-20: for foot that goes inide mast. OBSOLETE is the one word that stood out for me. As I remember it, it had only one pin vs 2 holes shown on 145SF. Maybe 2nd hole is for something else - I only remember one pin.
As I can remember, mine only had one pin. These cast Aluminum extrusions were made in France and assembled in the US. In fact, Z-Spar was located in Bristol RI back then. I have the Z-190 mast with internal halyards on my boat.

Jan 22, 2008
Oday 22 Sagharbor NY
I own a 22' now and what to move up to the 272. My 22' has a tabernacle. The 272 has a mast step like the Z-260 SF. There is a small pin like hinge at the rear of the step. Does this hinge like the 22's tabernacle?

Dec 27, 2011
Oday 272 Pensacola
Due to the way my mast was raised (I used the proverbial 'bridge stepping technique' - 3 men (me being one), one up a ladder on side of bridge and a block/tackle attached to ladder and then to boom under spreaders, the other two of us to guide base of mast to tabernacle and pin the stays. Since the base of mast was over the stern when we started, once the mast was hoisted with Block/Tackle, mast just sat down on tabernacle. Pin may have been used as a 'hinge' under normal circumstances, but not when we did it. Simply held mast base in tabernacle...

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
I think you are exactly right....We've only had ours down once, but it does pivot to the stern and it took 4 men to guide it down as the pin or whatever it pivots on seems to allow it to wobble around on it's way down...it went well though w/no issues that I can recall.

It is heavier than I expected it to be. I had asked my wife to be on the bow and not to let go of the fore stay and she was too obedient and actually left the deck briefly..she was going to take a long bad trip backwards. Pc

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I can't see why a Gin Pole wouldn't work for mast raising/lowering on a 272. You'd need to build a mast crutch to mount on the stern rail just high enough so that the mast clears the cabin top with the sliding hatch closed.

Leave all the stays connected and guide the furler with the mast, and it should work provided that the boat is level and the wind is coming directly from the stern. Also, it may be possible to rig pivot bridles and baby stays (temporary stays) on this boat, I'm not really sure.

Dec 27, 2011
Oday 272 Pensacola
Here's what mast tabernacle looks like on my '87 272. In 'tabernacle pin.jpg', picture is actually upside down - pic taken from stern end of tabernacle...

Attachments

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Wow! That's not really what I'd call a substantial tabernacle for mast raising. As a matter of fact, it looks almost exactly like the one that came with my old Z-Spar mast. Mine had a pin that you could pull. The one you have pictured looks like it's stationary and mast extrusion fits over the pin.
I stand corrected.
I don't care for that set up too much as far as mast raising goes.
The advantage of a flimsy cast Aluminum mast tabernacle though is that if a stay ever lets go the tabernacle will break rather than the mast.
The tabernacle that originally came with my first mast worked OK for mast raising but my mast is a heck of a lot lighter than the 272 mast.
I think I'd use the bridge technique or the "A" frame method on the O'Day 272.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpFhnYQmRYs

Dec 27, 2011
Oday 272 Pensacola
Joe - pin does come out, as I had to hammer it in when we raised the mast. It's not really what I would call a 'tabernacle', other than to give that name to the same thing as a 'mast shoe'. The shoe is bolted to the deck, the mast hinges on that one pin. That one pin is all that holds the mast to the deck (other than the stays). The gray meatal that the pin goes through is bolted to the deck, while the grey metal that has vertical pieces (has a hole in it so you can use a drift pin to remove the sheaves) is part of the mast. With the weight of the mast, I don't think many/any will be using ths tabernacle/shoe as an 'easy step method' of stepping/unstepping the mast!

Charles

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
It's very similar to the tabernacle that came with my first mast then. My mast extrusion had one built in sheave on it for the Jib Halyard and I hated it with a passion. Unlike the 272 with lines leading to the cockpit, I had to pull my Gennie up at the mast by pulling up on the halyard. Dropping the Gennie on my boat was a bare because the halyard kept getting hung up at the mast sheave on the tabernacle.

When I had my new mast made up I had the rigger mount a Dwyer stainless steel tabernacle to it. He cut in a halyard exit plate for the Jib Halyard and I had to mount the hinge plate and the utility plate on the cabin myself. I mounted the plates on a 1" thick Teak board. Years later I discovered that the 1" height made a big difference in being able to get enough clearance between the cabin top and the mast so that my mast can lay more horizontal in the rear mast crutch when I raise my mast from aft. Otherwise I would have had to raise my mast crutch a little higher to keep the mast from hitting the cabin while it was laying in the crutch, ready to go up. Prior to that, I never used the Gin Pole and I had no roller furler to worry about.
To make a long story short. The rigger welded up a mast plug out of stainless steel which eventually cause the demise of the bottom of my mast and I had to build my own mast extrusion after cutting 2" off the bottom of my mast due to corrosion. So far it's worked. I only use my Jib Halyard for mast raising now since I installed a CDI Roller Furler.
http://forums.oday.sailboatowners.com/album.php?albumid=372&page=3

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Joe, I enjoy your photos of your modifications. I've done several interesting ones, but have yet to figure out how to post them...I am getting tired of dealing with the carpeting on the bulkheads though and dealing with the drip stains and leaking because of the rub-rail leaks, etc....we our boat was delivered back in 87, the boat arrived from the factory w/leaks..so in discussions w/the factory they suggested the issue was the
rub rails as they indicated they don't always fit and it is not discovered until the installation is almost completed....so then the factory had to take them (rub rail) off and install a new one that often had the holes in a different place....and after 26 years it needs to be taken off again and the leaks caulked which will probably stop the leaks for awhile....we spend one or two days ea. spring shampooing the carpeting including the headliner which builds up a bit of smoke from the lanterns...we learned from our dock neighbors who had an Erickson 28 that we would never have mosquito's below if we used lanterns for lighting in the evenings vs. the lights and unless we are cooking or reading that is what we do.....we never have mosquito's below...that is my only tip of the day...sorry to ramble....your pictures give me some ideas about my 272 quarterberth..Thanks again! Pat in Wichita

Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.