Mast setup

Apr 20, 2021
Hunter Legend 240 Eastbourne
Hi there, I am completely new to Sailing and just bought a legend 240! plan to have lesson before going on the water of course. I have a few questions. Firstly there are two cables on the last that I can't work out what they are for. see image
IMG-20210421-WA0002.jpg
they are the two unattached hanging down the last with pulley wheels at the end, they are equal lengths. nothing I can see in the manual about them. second question is about anti fouling. the boat has been dry stored for 3 years and last used on a fresh water lake. I plan to use her in the sea this summer and don't know what's the best treatment for her. attached is some pictures of the hull and the anti fouling she has on her, does that need to come off? do I send it back? or just apply a new anti foul fit for the sea?
IMG-20210421-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20210421-WA0006.jpg

I have many other questions but will start with these. Many thanks in advance for taking a look.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The 2 lines are probably for lazy jacks. See any straps on the boom?

That doesn't look like antifouling paint. Looks more like wore out barrier coat to me. See what others say...

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The two wires hanging down look like running backstays. I'm not aware that a B&R rig has or had running backstays but I can't see enough of the rig to confirm that it is in fact a B&R rig. Anyway, runners are used because the mainsail is cut so that the sail can't clear a single backstay when tacking or jibing. So, with runners only one side is tight at a time and the one that is tight has to be changed for every tack. For this boat I would consider the runners a sail trim feature rather than fixed rigging. To complete the running rigging, lines need to be rigged to go through the blocks from the deck and back to the deck to some type of cleat. They are tensioned and slacked from the cockpit deck. They will control the shape of the mast which affects the sail shape - particularly the main.
The bottom needs to be sanded to more smooth before bottom paint. Don't get crazy with this. Just get it 60 grit smooth, apply some abalative bottom paint and start sailing.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I agee with Justin about the lazy jacks. It is rare to see a recreational boat of this level equipped with running backstays, too complicated. The spreaders are significantly swept back, take a look at the picture in this link... you'll notice there are two sets of lower shrouds. One pair runs diagonally, the other straight down to the chainplates at deck level.

As far as bottom paint goes, check with other sailors in the area you'll be using your boat. It really depends on how long you'll leave the boat in the water. Check the West Marine Advisor for a ton of information about all things boating and sailing . When you decide on paint.... then you read the manufacturer's instructions CAREFULLY and then proceed. Applying bottom paint is a beginner level diy project. Looking at your boat pictures, it appears you should be able to easily prep and paint it your self. I doesn't appear too much sanding will be required, but you must follow the instructions. Good luck, have fun.

Apr 20, 2021
Hunter Legend 240 Eastbourne
Thank you all for your replies and information. Having now looked at what a lazy jack is and looking at the sail cover that attaches to the boom I can see that they some how attach to this! steep learning curve but everything is starting to make sense! Will be very careful on the sanding / anti foul. Thanks again. I am sure I will have more questions!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Justin_NSA is correct about lazy jacks. I believe you have a barrier coat issue. Be glad to talk with you. Former dealer and this boat replaced the 23.5 which the intial drawings came from me. I sold the most of the 240’s as a dealer

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Be sure to wear proper PPE which usually entails a decent respirator, eye protection and a tyvek suit. Boat paint is nasty stuff especially when sanding it off

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The bottom needs to be sanded to more smooth before bottom paint. Don't get crazy with this. Just get it 60 grit smooth, apply some abalative bottom paint and start sailing.
60 grit will do it but there is a much less labor intensive way. I've posted on this before.. see post #4 in this thread

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
My boat has the same lazy jack setup but I don't connect/use them. I ran small ropes thru mine and lashed them to the mast to keep them out of the way. For simplicity, you might want to do the same for now, they are not necessary. I will completely remove them the next time I lower the mast, I just don't like them.