Mast Rake

Aug 19, 2019
Beneteau First 375 Stamford, Ct
Hi All,
I have a Beneteau First 375 with a deck stepped mast. I would like to get more rake in the mast by lengthening the fore stay and shortening the back stay by about an inch. My concern is that by doing so I would change the compression angle on the compression post down below. I am also afraid that the forward part of the mast at the deck would lift off of the deck. I cant seem to be able to point in wind below 10 kts. The boat is extremely fast with winds above 12 kts

Any advice ?
Thanks Live Wire

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
A 30:1 rake angle is typical, so you look at your 'P' number and see how far back that is. Probably going to be close to 1.5 feet. With you boat floating on her lines, you can use a weighted line pulled up the main halyard to measure.

And yes, a mast with too little rake can really mess up your pointing.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
Do you have a roller furling mainsail? If so I think rake is extremely limited. On my Hunter 50 which has a standard mainsail the rake is extremely pronounced compared to a roller furling mast, which most boats of my model have. This rake has not damaged any part of the boat, and I don't think the compression post or the mast step are different than those used on a roller furling rig. I doubt the rake has a serious influence on the compression post.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
The deck itself will carry any lateral component of the mast's axial load as it is tilted back. The compression post still carries only the vertical compression. Also, it will not lift off of the deck.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Do you have a roller furling mainsail? If so I think rake is extremely limited. On my Hunter 50 which has a standard mainsail the rake is extremely pronounced compared to a roller furling mast, which most boats of my model have.
Don't confuse rake with bend. A furling mast can't handle bend, but rake should be OK. Also, there probably aren't too many Beneteau Firsts with furling mains.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
A 30:1 rake angle is typical, so you look at your 'P' number and see how far back that is. Probably going to be close to 1.5 feet. With you boat floating on her lines, you can use a weighted line pulled up the main halyard to measure.

And yes, a mast with too little rake can really mess up your pointing.
The "lines" on many boats is not the same at rest as when under sail? Our Sabre 42, for example at rest was a good 4" high at the bow. When she was under sail, the boat settled down and sailed her "lines".

If someone said "add rake" vs. what the boat had been set-up for, then I'd be making a differential adjustment from whatever the current condition is. LiveWire: Do you have a picture of your boat from the side which shows what your current condition is? (A full side view including the hull and mast in "profile".)

Aug 19, 2019
Beneteau First 375 Stamford, Ct
Hi All,
Thanks for your replies. My mast is not a furling mast I hoist the mainsail. My sails are newer racing sails with a great shape so I know its not the sails. At the dock the bow seems a little higher so probably not sitting on its lines perfectly. In the pic below Im # 770. Those are my old sails. Not much rake??

Attachments

Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
A First 375 with a deck-stepped mast? That's a new one on me. Mine is keel-stepped, and I thought they all were. I also notice your traveler seems to be mounted on the cabintop, and I thought they were all mounted on the bridgedeck...

Anyway, doing the weighted main halyard trick Jackdaw describes, I have around a foot of rake, maybe a little more. Pulling the halyard to the gooseneck, I see 2-3 inches of prebend, both with the backstay adjuster set for light air. We seem to do OK racing, if I don't screw up. Since that picture you posted was taken from off the quarter, not off the beam, it's hard to get a feel for how much rake you really have just by looking. If you do decide to lengthen the forestay, be aware that Harken furlers (can't tell if that's what you have) have an integral adjustment just like a turnbuckle.

Just asking, are you sure the genoa leads are set right? Shrouds good and firm?

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2017
Her is my 2 cents,
1. Get rid of the baby stay
2. You will need to check with local rigger regarding headstay extension it may require a new headstay. Can't tell what furler you have if it's a Furlex or Harken
3. Make sure the boom vang has the throw to allow the boom to come down
4. By the looks of the racing mainsail the boom is higher.
5. It looks like you could use at 7'' more headstay length.