Mast Raising

Apr 3, 2020
Hunter 23.5 Frenchtown, MT
It took 4 trips to the hardware store, in addition to 3 or 4 over the past week, but my mast raising system is a success! more details when I have time, but essentially it's a redesign of what I had for Orbweaver, with a lot more strength for the heavier mast and rigging on Serenade. Everything is supported, but all the standing rigging is only barely snug. I ran out of daylight.
IMG_20210606_220014441.jpg

Apr 3, 2020
Dave, This is the 26.5, not water ballasted. But...here's a link to a few more pics in my google account. I used chains to allow some flexibility in adjustments. Once I have everything locked in I'll most likely make the whole thing out of wire rope. The pics don't really show the gin pole, but it is only needed until the mast is at about 70° from horizontal.
3 new photos by Greg Hansen

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Is this how your design works?
You might want to look into use of dyneema line for your lifting cables.

Apr 3, 2020
I would say the concept is similar, but the execution is different. It looks like the 260 has a decent place to locate those bars on either side the keep the mast aligned. On the 26.5, there isn't a really good place that is in line with the pivot point at the base of the mast. My solution was to build a bridle that ties into the lifeline stanchions fore and aft, and then comes up to a point that closely aligns with the pivot. This allows me to get the most distance laterally from the mast for the baby stays. The whole system is then in tension during the entire raising process.
I hadn't thought about dyneema, but that would certainly be easier to stow when not needed. I'll have to look into it. The working load on this whole system is very low (with the exception of the forestay), so heavier gear isn't really necessary.
GH

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
You noted the location of the placement of the bridles. Generally many do not and the wires tension To the point making it difficult to raise.

Apr 3, 2020
Yup, that pivot location for the bridles is critical to the success of this system.