mast lights

Oct 4, 2022
Hunter 39 Bayfield
Hi,
While the mast is down I was thinking about replacing the mast lights with LED except the steaming light.
My boat is a 2011 Hunter 39. I was wondering if anyone has replaced these lights and may have the numbers for the LED lights.
I looked on the Hunter parts website but they don't have numbers just their stock numbers and don't seem to have LED repacements for some of the mast lights. I have a question on the mast lights. We took a picture of the mast and you can see the mast lights in the picture and you can see the deck light, steaming light and what I believe to be the anchor light ( I will attach a picture). If the top light is suppose to be the anchor light it is on the forward side of the mast and will not be seen 360 degrees. If I'm not mistaken the anchor light is suppose to be seen 360 degrees. Any Ideas?
Thanks, Al

IMG_1390.jpg

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
The forward facing light on the front of your mast are the 'steaming" or "masthead" light used when motoring. The downward facing light is a deck light used for convenience and should not on during navigation. Your anchor light is (normally) on the very top of your mast and is indeed a 360 degree light.

You can replace any of these with LED bulbs. Bulbs are pretty standardized so you can get them most anywhere. Get 12V (or the better 12-24V bulbs) that match the shape of your bulbs. Because the lights on your mast are difficult to access, you should get good quality bulbs that will last a while. A popular online site is marinebeam.com.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Duluthwinger,
While the bulbs are available from various sites, including this one,
replacing a particular bulb can be confusing to the buyer and the seller.
A similar shaped bulb may have more than one style base
(the part that plugs into the fixture) available.
So, make sure you have the bulb in hand and even take a picture
that you can send to the seller to ensure a proper match.
Also, be aware that some bulbs that fit an older fixture may not
be available anymore.

Oct 4, 2022
Hunter 39 Bayfield
Hi,
I know the steaming light is the one just above the deck light but I was wondering what the light just above the forestay is.
Are both lights (not the deck light) on the front of the mast steaming lights?
Its hard to see but I don't think there is a light on the top of the mast so that's why I was wondering if the light just above the forestay was considered the anchor light even though its not a 360 degree light.
Thanks,
Al

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Ah, I see what you mean. It is VERY tiny in the photo and I did not see it. It is not the typical location for an anchor light and would not be legal unless there is another light that covers the aft sector. It is legal to use two lights as long as combined they cover 360 degrees. Another guess is that a previous owner added a new steaming light and did not remove the old one.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
In the photo it looks like that light is below the exit of your spinnaker halyard? I can't zoom in enough to tell.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
While you have the mast down, check the wiring too. My Hunter has pretty skimpy wire. Even though I converted to LED and I don't need to carry much current, I switched to 16ga cable for its hanging strength.
I also added a SPDT switch on the panel for the anchor and steaming lights. That way only one or the other are on, not both. That freed up the other switch for dedicated deck lighting.

• Helpful
Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Also converted my deck light to the BA9S led light from Marine Beam. Far superior to the halogen bulb that Aqua Signal provided with the fixture.
:plus:

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
When you bought the BA9s bulb was it this one for the deck light?
It depends on the bulb that matches the fixture you have on your mast.
Your boat is a 2011 Hunter 39. I suspect you are not the original purchaser of the boat. It is possible that the previous owner/s may have changed out the fixture over the past 11+ years. Not being a gambling man, I'd encourage you check out the brand of the fixture then match the bulb to the fixture. Saves buying multiple bulbs in hopes of feeling lucky...

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Thanks for all the info. When you bought the BA9s bulb was it this one for the deck light? High Powered BA9S Deck / Steaming Light LED
Is there just one bulb or more? Sorry about the all the questions but the boat is a long way from me.
No problem. Yes, it was only one bulb for the deck light only. Definitely produces brighter and wider deck coverage and of course, consumes much less power than the halogen bulb that it replaced. I did not replace the steaming light bulb because it is only used while underway with the engine running; therefore, I was not concerned about power consumption for the steaming light. Check your light fixture to ensure that the LED bulb is compatible. My combo steaming light / deck light is an aqua signal 25 series light.

Last edited:

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
My combo steaming light / deck light is an aqua signal 25 series light.
:plus:

As a thought, I decided I don’t need huge flood lights that bring 10,000 lumes to the foredeck like you see on some fishing vessels. That type of candle power will kill any hope of night vision for an hour.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I think we used our deck light once while we were all stepping off the boat in the slip. I don't think I'd ever use it while we are moving.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I think we used our deck light once while we were all stepping off the boat in the slip. I don't think I'd ever use it while we are moving.
Would definitely not use the deck light while underway; only in the slip or anchored while working on deck.