mast leaking through deck along compression post into cabin

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hello Noah.
I do not have your boat.
Setting that aside, the concept of mast steps is universal across the many manufacturers building boats with mast steps.
  1. There needs to be a solid strong compression post
  2. The deck between the compression post and the mast step must be solid and not allow moisture to penetrate
  3. You need to have a clean and proper mast step for the mast base
  4. You must design a proper method of wires and equipment to penetrate the deck in a water tight technique
Here is the mast step I removed had cleaned and prepared to hold my mast. I affirmed that the deck was solid and waterproof. I attached the mast step with solid bolts and used best construction practices to seal the bolts to the deck. The wire pipes were sealed into the step with 4200 caulk sealant. The wires entering the the pipes was looped so that moisture coming down the wires will drop off to the base and weep out.

It is basic thinking/engineering regarding the problem.

56B202B4-E1AE-4D34-AD0D-A845360FB002.jpeg AC3B0A12-3ABE-470D-8025-66C012662299.jpeg

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Would like to know where the weep hole in base is on internal side as Im only getting straw cleaner in a couple inches.
Hi Noah, the straw cleaner should go in more than a couple of inches, but not much more. Use care with a small diameter drill bit to clear out any blockage. Could be some sealant blocking the hole. No pictures of the inside of the mast step, sorry.

Oct 22, 2014
Im only getting straw cleaner in a couple inches.
The mast thickness is less than an inch. The weep hole should be in the mast not the mast base/step.

Attacking the problem from the inside, only traps moisture between the inside and the outside in the deck. This is bad. Sandwiched between the inner and outer layers of fiberglass is wood. That will rot when exposed to water.

Water can drip through at cracks, screw holes, sides of mast step. Post a picture of the front and back of the mast and deck. Something may be obvious. It is a long shot.

Dec 25, 2000
The weep hole should be in the mast not the mast base/step.
Not so on the P42. When the aluminum plate for our boat was cast, they made a weep hole in the base of the plate where it rests on the coach roof. I posted pictures of our weep hole some time ago and in the archives some place. I'll see if I can find them.

Found them: Hunter 42 Owner Modifications and Upgrades

• Helpful
Oct 22, 2014
Very informative Terry.

Different designs have their own compromises. A couple inches in and then does the weep hole turn vertical?

Almost seems like you would need to send water into the weep hole, or try to suction water and debris out of the weep hole.

A pipe cleaner might not do much of anything.

Dec 25, 2000
A couple inches in and then does the weep hole turn vertical?
No. A stiff bristle clears the weep hole of any debris on our boat. The weep hole opens up into the entire inside of the mast step, so if clear, will drain any water away. If it is blocked, like he inferred, there could be an obstruction; perhaps some left over sealant is blocking the hole from the inside. Using a long small drill bit, twisting it by hand rather than a drill, should cut through any blockage material. That weep hole is about three inches long.

• Helpful
Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Often times leaks involving stepping/compression posts are because something has moved.. Usually it is a failure of the compression post system. It only takes a little bit of movement to create a leak. While your situation might not fall under this scenario, I'd suggest that you verify that the compression post has not settled. Many boats have a wooden structure under the cabin sole to bolster the compression post, and this is the usual culprit..